Need help/advice NCL Epic wedding January 25... For two!

bellevuemountain

Hello everyone!

I am looking for any help or advice so that I can have an epic wedding on January 25 2016 (sea day).

A little about hubby to be and I. We are a mature couple who have been together for a long time but never married. We've raised 4 children, ranged between 26 and 22. Why get married should you ask? He popped the big question out of the blue after a health scare. I am really looking forward to this special day.

We both love cruising and figured that we would get married at sea and do our honeymoon in Europe.

Here's where I need help / advice. I've read everything I can about wedding at seas and I can't find much on a wedding for a party of two. I really wanted an ideal location on the ship, but have been told that since it's a party of two, the venue of the Manhattan dining room might not be possible. I do not want a dingy dark conference room for my wedding. I'd rather cancel.

Has anyone had a wedding for two onboard the Epic? What should I do to secure my dream location (think of the pictures)? Any other options? Find 200 guests? Any suggestions welcome!

First suggestion: See if the Captain will marry you on the bridge.

Second: Maybe through a Roll Call, you could arrange private use of a lounge, then invite everyone with a drink package! Big party, no cost.

(Years ago, my wife and I were at a smallish beach resort in Hawaii, when a family group came for the wedding of their daughter. There was nowhere to be really private, so they invited everyone who was staying at the resort. The bride? An absolutely lovely young woman named Christie Brinkley!)

I don't think it is realistic to ask to take up a huge venue like the Manhattan Room for a wedding with only the bride and groom present. And why would you want to do that anyway? It seems to me that would just underscore the fact that you and your husband to be are alone on the ship. Instead, why not ask that you wedding be on the open deck? Since there are only 2 of you and then the NCL wedding planner onboard, photographer and Captain or other officiant could easily gather out on deck with the ocean in the background for some amazing wedding photos and a simple ceremony. You might even consider being in a suite in The Haven and having the ceremony in The Haven Courtyard, which is intimate and beautiful or in The Haven Lounge, which overlooks the Courtyard. Or splurge on an Owner's Suite for this very special occasion and have your ceremony there or on the large balcony of this suite. You need an intimate space for a wedding this small.

BUT...

what about your kids? Don't they want to be there to see their parents get married? What about your best friends? Don't they want to be there for you? If so, maybe it would be better to get married at home and have a honeymoon on the ship. Yes, even though you have been together for several decades and raised 4 kids, you STILL are entitled to a honeymoon. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to do a wedding with a few friends and your kids, then, consider booking at a nice restaurant during off hours on a Sunday afternoon. Usually, you can take over one of the party rooms or even the entire restaurant and if you choose a moderately priced restaurant, you might only need to pay for the meals. I'm a wedding planner with 30 years of experience and I've done beautiful weddings like this for as little as $14.99 per guest for a 3 course meal. There are many ways to do this and not make it too expensive and keep it low stress and fun for everyone.

Hello everyone!

I am looking for any help or advice so that I can have an epic wedding on January 25 2016 (sea day).

A little about hubby to be and I. We are a mature couple who have been together for a long time but never married. We've raised 4 children, ranged between 26 and 22. Why get married should you ask? He popped the big question out of the blue after a health scare. I am really looking forward to this special day.

We both love cruising and figured that we would get married at sea and do our honeymoon in Europe.

Here's where I need help / advice. I've read everything I can about wedding at seas and I can't find much on a wedding for a party of two. I really wanted an ideal location on the ship, but have been told that since it's a party of two, the venue of the Manhattan dining room might not be possible. I do not want a dingy dark conference room for my wedding. I'd rather cancel.

Has anyone had a wedding for two onboard the Epic? What should I do to secure my dream location (think of the pictures)? Any other options? Find 200 guests? Any suggestions welcome!

How wonderful!!

We are actually also on this cruise as our honeymoon!! If you did fancy having 'guests' we would love to be there!! :) (even if to share a toast after?)

I don't believe the EPIC has dark dingy rooms so fear not!

They will want to make the room private I would imagine. (unless your happy for the world to watch??)

Maybe one of the smaller restaurants?? Le BIstro, la cucina perhaps?

If you fancy something more public, how about the atrium or spice H20 in the outdoors?

If your set on Manhattan - maybe invite the roll call for that cruise to the wedding?

I'm curious, and probably a dumb question, but if an NCL Captain performs the ceremony, is that a legal ceremony or a symbolic ceremony?

Regardless, congratulations to you both. :)

There are no dumb questions!

Here's the info: for the wedding to be legal, there are several constraints. From what I gathered, the options in Europe were an island in Greece (which is already great) and another place I can't remember. From what we were told by our notary, it would have been very difficult for it to be legal where we live. Paperwork needed to be translated, red tape, etc. Paperwork signed with our notary before departure. My romantic wedding will be at sea, and will be a symbolic ceremony.

How wonderful!!

We are actually also on this cruise as our honeymoon!! If you did fancy having 'guests' we would love to be there!! :) (even if to share a toast after?)

I don't believe the EPIC has dark dingy rooms so fear not!

They will want to make the room private I would imagine. (unless your happy for the world to watch??)

Maybe one of the smaller restaurants?? Le BIstro, la cucina perhaps?

If you fancy something more public, how about the atrium or spice H20 in the outdoors?

If your set on Manhattan - maybe invite the roll call for that cruise to the wedding?

Well we most definitely need to get together for a toast!

It's more complicated than I thought for the wedding venue. I'll have a chat with the wedding coordinator, many good ideas popping up!

There are no dumb questions!

Here's the info: for the wedding to be legal, there are several constraints. From what I gathered, the options in Europe were an island in Greece (which is already great) and another place I can't remember. From what we were told by our notary, it would have been very difficult for it to be legal where we live. Paperwork needed to be translated, red tape, etc. Paperwork signed with our notary before departure. My romantic wedding will be at sea, and will be a symbolic ceremony.

It sounds awesome - and your wedding should be exactly what you want. If its the 2 of you, alone in a lovely room on the EPIC at sea then go for it!

If your heart is set on a particular room on the EPIC and for that you might need some strangers to attend use cruise critic to help fulfil your dreams.

I wish you all the luck in the world over these next few months of final planning! :)

I don't think it is realistic to ask to take up a huge venue like the Manhattan Room for a wedding with only the bride and groom present. And why would you want to do that anyway? It seems to me that would just underscore the fact that you and your husband to be are alone on the ship. Instead, why not ask that you wedding be on the open deck? Since there are only 2 of you and then the NCL wedding planner onboard, photographer and Captain or other officiant could easily gather out on deck with the ocean in the background for some amazing wedding photos and a simple ceremony. You might even consider being in a suite in The Haven and having the ceremony in The Haven Courtyard, which is intimate and beautiful or in The Haven Lounge, which overlooks the Courtyard. Or splurge on an Owner's Suite for this very special occasion and have your ceremony there or on the large balcony of this suite. You need an intimate space for a wedding this small.

BUT...

what about your kids? Don't they want to be there to see their parents get married? What about your best friends? Don't they want to be there for you? If so, maybe it would be better to get married at home and have a honeymoon on the ship. Yes, even though you have been together for several decades and raised 4 kids, you STILL are entitled to a honeymoon. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to do a wedding with a few friends and your kids, then, consider booking at a nice restaurant during off hours on a Sunday afternoon. Usually, you can take over one of the party rooms or even the entire restaurant and if you choose a moderately priced restaurant, you might only need to pay for the meals. I'm a wedding planner with 30 years of experience and I've done beautiful weddings like this for as little as $14.99 per guest for a 3 course meal. There are many ways to do this and not make it too expensive and keep it low stress and fun for everyone.

Oh so many questions... Wedding planner with 30 years experience! Are all of us brides as nervous? I've got the jitters as though I were on the brink of giving birth! We've done everything in a non conventional way. We are doing it alone because we don't want to upstage the wedding dreams of the young ones, plain and simple.

Also, I must admit, I wanted THE dress. And I was very uncomfortable wearing a wedding gown in front of our grown kids. It was odd in my mind - did not compute. They are used to seeing me as "the mom", not a blushing bride in a gown :-)!

Hello all, I figured I would share an update on planning a wedding on a cruise ship. When I launched myself into this adventure, I couldn’t find much info. Hope it can help anyone!

First things first. Choosing your cruise line. I chose NCL for various reasons. Every cruise line has a dedicated subcontractor for weddings at sea. From the moment your choice is made, it’s with this specific firm you will exchange.

As far as wedding venues go, they are not limitless. The cruise ship allows the ceremony to take place in very specific areas. In the case of NCL Epic, the choices are as follow: Biscayne room, Bliss Lounge, Headliners comedy club, Fat cats and Manhattan room. I looked at the different pictures and for lighting purposes chose the Manhattan room (saw some gorgeous wedding pictures taken in the Manhattan room). I wanted a light and airy feel to the ceremony.

This is where you need to remind yourself that the number of guests will influence which venue is actually available to you. The prices are not adjusted to the room you choose. The room is adjusted to the number of guests you have.

My wedding coordinator is working hard to find a venue like the Manhattan room which has an actual ocean view and good lighting. Unfortunately, the great ideas posted such as being married by the captain on the bridge, getting married in the Haven lounge or deck, getting married in our suite are not viable options according to my wedding coordinator. I’ll find out more by the end of the week, shall keep you posted.

In the meantime, if anyone has wedding at sea questions, shoot away! I’ll do my best to accommodate.

I was wondering about costs? Basic ceremony for 2 people? Ball park figure if possible or between X and X would do.

Thanks and good luck

Liverpool Jo

Hi Jodieh12! It's public info on the NCL website, here's the link: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Wedding-eBrochure_091415.pdf. Roughly speaking it starts at 1800 US.

Bye!

My wedding coordinator is working hard to find a venue like the Manhattan room which has an actual ocean view and good lighting. Unfortunately, the great ideas posted such as being married by the captain on the bridge, getting married in the Haven lounge or deck, getting married in our suite are not viable options according to my wedding coordinator. I’ll find out more by the end of the week, shall keep you posted.

Is there any rule about doing it on deck by yourselves with no official NCL planner? If it is only a symbolic ceremony, does it need to be the captain? I would rather be married by someone I know than the captain/stranger. Maybe have a friend get ordained and come with you or get to know someone from the roll call who will do it? My sister just got ordained so she could do a friend's ceremony.

Oh so many questions... Wedding planner with 30 years experience! Are all of us brides as nervous? I've got the jitters as though I were on the brink of giving birth! We've done everything in a non conventional way. We are doing it alone because we don't want to upstage the wedding dreams of the young ones, plain and simple.

Also, I must admit, I wanted THE dress. And I was very uncomfortable wearing a wedding gown in front of our grown kids. It was odd in my mind - did not compute. They are used to seeing me as "the mom", not a blushing bride in a gown :-)!

I had to take a restroom door off its hinges at a church once to get to one of my brides who was having a major anxiety attack before the ceremony. After a lot of tears (she was a 40 year old first time bride), a significant delay, a xanax from her purse and me offering to get her out of there and then I would go announce that the ceremony was cancelled if she really didn't want to go through with it, she pulled herself together and I repaired her makeup and she made it down the aisle. However, I'm not sure exactly how much of her wedding she remembered as the xanax hit her pretty hard. Happily, that was 10 years ago and they are still married, so she wasn't making a mistake, she just freaked herself out. So yes, brides do get nervous.

On the other hand, I did an "ambush" wedding once. The couple had been together for decades like you and they finally decided to tie the knot but didn't want a traditional wedding and liked to do fun things, so they invited their parents and kids out to dinner at this casual Italian restaurant that had waiters and waitresses who sang. It was actually the restaurant where they had had their first date many years ago. I was hiding in the manager's office with the officiant, photographer, wedding gown and flowers. After the entree's were mostly finished the bride, who was cool as a cucumber because she is the kind of person who likes to pull pranks on people, excused herself to use the restroom, but she actually came into the manager's office where we quickly changed her into her gown and on my signal, one of the waiters spontaneously called the groom up to the little stage (it is not unusual in that restaurant for the patrons to sing with the waiters.) At that point, the officiant walked out and joined the groom like they were going to do a song together and the photographer was able to walk unnoticed into the restaurant because the family was looking at the stage. Then the pianist played the bridal march and everyone in the restaurant looked in the direction that the officiant and groom were looking as the bride made her way from the doorway to the stage. A brief ceremony was performed and the bride and groom sealed the deal with a kiss to the thunderous applause of everyone in the restaurant. After the ceremony, I brought in a small wedding cake, which was served to everyone in the restaurant whether they knew the couple or not. It was a complete surprise to the bride and grooms families (and everyone else in the restaurant) but everyone was just thrilled and all the other restaurant guests looked really happy to have been part of this event and stopped by the bride and grooms table to congratulate them as they left the restaurant. It was a really fun and special night.

I really think you should give your adult kids the opportunity to decide if they want to be there or not. Your small wedding will not upstage their weddings, if and when they happen. It's pretty common nowadays for women of all ages to wear a bridal gown, however, some choose a gown in a lovely color and there is a trend towards pink, silver satin and even pastel embroidered gowns. I have also had brides marry in purple, deep red, even black lace over nude (think Avril Lavigne's last gown - it was very similar to that.) The bride who wore black and her husband go to the symphony, so she wanted a gown that she could wear not only for her wedding, but also for that. As a counterpoint to the black and nude gown, we used extremely brightly colored flowers and white linens and the reception was in a pastel colored room, so the bride really stood out and was the star of the photos. BTW, did you know you can rent your gown? A lot of older brides choose to do that. Some even buy pre-owned gowns on nearlynewlywed.com. I have also done a beach wedding where the bride wore a white swimsuit with a veil. The groom wore swim trunks with a tuxedo jacket. It was unique and rather fun! Anything goes!

I agree with the poster who suggested you bring your own officiant and do the wedding in your suite or on the balcony. It is silly to be limited to venues that are far too large and/or inappropriate for your intimate wedding. The other thing you might consider is having a beach wedding at one of your ports of call. There are wedding planners on the various islands in the Caribbean who specialize in this.

Hello all, I figured I would share an update on planning a wedding on a cruise ship. When I launched myself into this adventure, I couldn’t find much info. Hope it can help anyone!

First things first. Choosing your cruise line. I chose NCL for various reasons. Every cruise line has a dedicated subcontractor for weddings at sea. From the moment your choice is made, it’s with this specific firm you will exchange.

As far as wedding venues go, they are not limitless. The cruise ship allows the ceremony to take place in very specific areas. In the case of NCL Epic, the choices are as follow: Biscayne room, Bliss Lounge, Headliners comedy club, Fat cats and Manhattan room. I looked at the different pictures and for lighting purposes chose the Manhattan room (saw some gorgeous wedding pictures taken in the Manhattan room). I wanted a light and airy feel to the ceremony.

This is where you need to remind yourself that the number of guests will influence which venue is actually available to you. The prices are not adjusted to the room you choose. The room is adjusted to the number of guests you have.

In the meantime, if anyone has wedding at sea questions, shoot away! I’ll do my best to accommodate.

Bliss has changed and now has 'windows' although I imagine it is still quite dark.

I hope you could use something like la cucina as feel that can be quite an intimate place for a small party and I found it light. It has curtains by the windows which could be opened?

There really aren't a many venues on that ship at all that offer "light and airy"! You picked the wrong ship... LOL just saying that the SUN's observation lounge would have been better, and the chapel on that ship is really nice as well. :D

For Sauer-kraut: burst out laughing. Guess I should have required more info before signing a contract for the wedding! The info came after having signed... Hence the questions! The Sun for a sunny wedding, Escape for eloping, Breakaway for the wedding on the rocks, ah, could go on and on...

For SuiteTraveler: could read your wedding anecdotes hours on end. You write so well it was easy to visualize the scenes. And yes, we'll have a small intimate wedding at home with the family, everyone's comments here have been very helpful.

I've got till the weekend to decide if there will be a symbolic wedding onboard the ship. We'll see what the wedding coordinator comes up with. Worst case scenario, I cancel minus a penalty fee.

ciao!

I am a retired minister and I have conducted over 1,500 weddings -- from large to small, and every one was beautiful. $1,800 is ridiculous. I have been on the Epic. No location is worth that. A wedding for two will take, at most, a half hour. Try to cancel that contract, and ask on your roll call if anyone has ever conducted a wedding. They do not need to be ordained. Ask if anyone else is good at taking pics. Find someone in a suite that will let you use it for a half hour, and buy them a bottle. Of course, let them attend. We cruisers stick together.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update and useful info for anyone cancelling a cruise wedding ;)

Finally opted to cancel wedding with ROE, we'll get married at home with our family the day we fly out for the cruise.

Good to know info: of course there are cancellation fees, to be expected. I've no problem with that. But the cancellation fees are not as advertised in the wedding brochure given by NCL. The subcontractor slaps on an extra cancellation fee... (example: 300$ advertised + 150$ for subcontractor).

On a positive note: less fretting over wedding dress transportation by plane :-)

Small update and useful info for anyone cancelling a cruise wedding ;)

Finally opted to cancel wedding with ROE, we'll get married at home with our family the day we fly out for the cruise.

Good to know info: of course there are cancellation fees, to be expected. I've no problem with that. But the cancellation fees are not as advertised in the wedding brochure given by NCL. The subcontractor slaps on an extra cancellation fee... (example: 300$ advertised + 150$ for subcontractor).

On a positive note: less fretting over wedding dress transportation by plane :-)

No surprise there!! Ouch!!

Good thing is we are on honeymoon together!! :)

For Sauer-kraut: burst out laughing. Guess I should have required more info before signing a contract for the wedding! The info came after having signed... Hence the questions! The Sun for a sunny wedding, Escape for eloping, Breakaway for the wedding on the rocks, ah, could go on and on...

For SuiteTraveler: could read your wedding anecdotes hours on end. You write so well it was easy to visualize the scenes. And yes, we'll have a small intimate wedding at home with the family, everyone's comments here have been very helpful.

I've got till the weekend to decide if there will be a symbolic wedding onboard the ship. We'll see what the wedding coordinator comes up with. Worst case scenario, I cancel minus a penalty fee.

ciao!

I'm really glad you will get married at home with your family present. I think that is the best decision you could make and will mean a great deal to everyone present.