RCCL Quantum class

mrobstad

Heh, I tried to put a courtesy hold on that 4/30 studio balcony, but I get:

YOUR COURTESY HOLD REQUEST FAILED

Please call customer service to complete your request.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the RCI parent company's dedication to information technology. :)

I sailed in a studio balcony in Jan on the Quantum and it was fantastic. If you're considering sailing from Cape Liberty, please come to the East Coast Board to ask questions. The primary airport is Newark. It will cost you a lot more to get to the port from LaGuardia or JFK.

Public transit via PATH and light rail plus local Bayonne cab is an option to get to Cape Liberty. It takes about an hour from either midtown Manhattan (33rd & 6th) or downtown Newark. I have done both and can provide more info.

Very few Newark Airport hotels offer cruise packages and they are expensive. Car service from the airport to the port is running $55-65. Cape Liberty is really a DIY port. Newark/Elizabeth is a highly urban industrialized area and you must be selective about your hotel.

For my Quantum cruise I took Amtrak from Boston to Newark Penn Station, stayed overnight at the Robert Treat in downtown Newark(offers both airport and train station shuttle + free breakfast), took PATH to Exchange Place, transferred to the light rail to Bayonne, and took a cab into the port. This entire trip was 100% accessible with rolling luggage. PATH is $2.75, light rail is $2.10, and cab should be $10-12.

Edited by 138east

I sailed in a studio balcony in Jan on the Quantum and it was fantastic. If you're considering sailing from Cape Liberty, please come to the East Coast Board to ask questions. The primary airport is Newark. It will cost you a lot more to get to the port from LaGuardia or JFK.

Public transit via PATH and light rail plus local Bayonne cab is an option to get to Cape Liberty. It takes about an hour from either midtown Manhattan (33rd & 6th) or downtown Newark. I have done both and can provide more info.

Very few Newark Airport hotels offer cruise packages and they are expensive. Car service from the airport to the port is running $55-65. Cape Liberty is really a DIY port. Newark/Elizabeth is a highly urban industrialized area and you must be selective about your hotel.

For my Quantum cruise I took Amtrak from Boston to Newark Penn Station, stayed overnight at the Robert Treat in downtown Newark(offers both airport and train station shuttle + free breakfast), took PATH to Exchange Place, transferred to the light rail to Bayonne, and took a cab into the port. This entire trip was 100% accessible with rolling luggage. PATH is $2.75, light rail is $2.10, and cab should be $10-12.

Thank you so much for this! If I move forward with this anytime soon, I'll start a new thread in the appropriate port area and see if I can figure out a way to call your attention to it. :)

I'm semi-ok with large scale public transit, although very inexperienced. I've used the DC and Montreal metro systems alone, and aside from mild confusion at first was typically able to figure it out. (I live in one of those urban sprawl towns with basically no public transit, so haven't had much opportunity for practice.)

Thank you so much for this! If I move forward with this anytime soon, I'll start a new thread in the appropriate port area and see if I can figure out a way to call your attention to it. :)

I'm semi-ok with large scale public transit, although very inexperienced. I've used the DC and Montreal metro systems alone, and aside from mild confusion at first was typically able to figure it out. (I live in one of those urban sprawl towns with basically no public transit, so haven't had much opportunity for practice.)

you can do public transport from manhattan, but as they laid out - its a few transfers over a few different types of vehicles. If you do fly into Newark and stay local, i've seen some folks mention hotels in that part of NJ that have transfers to the port. Would need to do a forum search, can't recall what thread it was in.

Maybe do the NYC visit on the tail end ?

you can do public transport from manhattan, but as they laid out - its a few transfers over a few different types of vehicles. If you do fly into Newark and stay local, i've seen some folks mention hotels in that part of NJ that have transfers to the port. Would need to do a forum search, can't recall what thread it was in.

Maybe do the NYC visit on the tail end ?

You need to ask questions on the East Coast board - there are so many options that the advice for one scenario can be very different from the advice for another scenario. If you want to stay in a Manhattan hotel, prices are usually more expensive Sun-Thur than Fri-Sat. There are high seasons (Sep) and more reasonable Seasons (winter and many holiday weekends). Hotwire often has good deals. You can stay in Jersey City hotels with public transit options into midtown and downtown Manhattan as well as Cape Liberty, but these hotels do not have airport shuttles. In the end you have to chose between time, money, and stress.