Alcohol ?

mrmet1986

I couldn't get the unlimited drink package so I have 2 questions.

1. Are you still allowed one bottle of wine per passenger.

2. Has it got harder to smuggle ?

Every cruise I have been on, I always put one small bottle of vodka in my luggage. I have gotten away with it every time . I just haven't cruised in over a year and wondering if it's gotten stricter.

Thanks for the kind replies and thanks for the flames. Either way !

Buy some Rum Runners. They work every time. If you try to bring an actual bottle chances are they catch you. Rum Runners are reusable forever.

6&8

Since the OP is on a charter and they don't allow the UBP, you can be sure they will be checking closely for smuggled booze. A huge part of the money made on charters is the booze. Good luck with smuggling.

I'm not sure what this means. They allow it I just don't have it. What's a charter ? I'm not being smart. I'm just not that smart. I'm on a 7 day bahama cruise.

I read 99% you get caught. In previous 3 cruises I got a bottle through each time. No special trick. Just had it in my checked luggage. I was just wondering if there getting stricter. What if I just put the bottle in my pants when boarding ? There's a plastic cap so, the metal detector won't be an issue. Would this work ? I am boarding in nyc

Edited by mrmet1986

Vodka in mouth wash bottles, topped with green food coloring does the trick EVERYTIME (so I've heard..) I always get the UBP now, so it's no longer an issue, but from what I understand, it's a fool-proof system :D:D:D

Haha brilliant.

What are Rum Runners?

If they confiscate something and it is NOT in an original factory sealed bottle (they can not determine exactly what it is) it will be discarded.

I strongly doubt your 99% claim. I would guess 20%?

OP - I did not bring anything on with me when embarking in Miami since I had the UBP, but the check in desk past the security scanners was run by a Port of Miami employee. Her back was turned to the table. She was chatting it up with a coworker oblivious to the world around her. I report. You decide.

I wasn't talking about smuggled booze, I was talking about trying to bring on bottles of wine: that was what the op seemed to be referring to. And of course I didn't literally mean 99% of the time: I was simply saying, there is a good chance you will get caught. As for using rum runners, etc. I have never tried to smuggle booze. Yes, I have heard they work, as does bringing a 5 liter box but it isn't something I do. there was a gal in front of us on our Jewel cruise last week that had a water bottle about 1/2 full. She was told to drink it or throw it out. That was at check in.

OP, to answer your question: yes they are getting stricter!!!

Edited by newmexicoNita

I wasn't talking about smuggled booze, I was talking about trying to bring on bottles of wine: that was what the op seemed to be referring to. And of course I didn't literally mean 99% of the time: I was simply saying, there is a good chance you will get caught. As for using rum runners, etc. I have never tried to smuggle booze. Yes, I have heard they work, as does bringing a 5 liter box but it isn't something I do. there was a gal in front of us on our Jewel cruise last week that had a water bottle about 1/2 full. She was told to drink it or throw it out. That was at check in.

OP, to answer your question: yes they are getting stricter!!!

I provided factual information to OP while you just guessed, and missed an important point about what gets returned or not. Save your thumbs down for someone else when you don't know what you are talking about to start with.

Scanner picked up my 2 bottles of wine and I was told to report to the desk around the corner (and not within sight) of the scanner. Paid the $15 per bottle. Could I have walked right past the desk and not paid? Sure. Easily. Yes, I am an honest dumba$$.

I'm not sure what this means. They allow it I just don't have it. What's a charter ? I'm not being smart. I'm just not that smart. I'm on a 7 day bahama cruise.

Are you on a standard ncl cruise not a themed cruise booked elsewhere? I think people presumed because you said you couldn't get ubp you must be on a charter which generally are the themed cruises booked outside ncl where a company organises different activities / entertainment and sells all the cabins.

Are you on a standard ncl cruise not a themed cruise booked elsewhere? I think people presumed because you said you couldn't get ubp you must be on a charter which generally are the themed cruises booked outside ncl where a company organises different activities / entertainment and sells all the cabins.

Standard . I couldn't get the unlimited beverage deal because we were taking advantage of the kids sail free deal. They said we have to upgrade our cabin to receive both

I would like to add that I haven't been on these boards as much as I used to, but I see things haven't changed. People love to be nasty and think there better than the next person. Sick people man. Judge this I'm going to smuggle a bottle of vodka like I have done on all my previous cruises. Hopefully it works again

Standard . I couldn't get the unlimited beverage deal because we were taking advantage of the kids sail free deal. They said we have to upgrade our cabin to receive both

What cruise are you on? I've not noticed kids/anyone sails free being an exclusive option. Did NCL or a TA tell you this? Sorry, I see now that you are in an inside cabin and those were not eligible for UBP. Kids sail free would then be a better deal/only deal.

Edited by rvsullivan

I would like to add that I haven't been on these boards as much as I used to, but I see things haven't changed. People love to be nasty and think there better than the next person. Sick people man. Judge this I'm going to smuggle a bottle of vodka like I have done on all my previous cruises. Hopefully it works again

I thought people really took it pretty easy on you. Since I've never done it, I wonder why it's necessary to smuggle a bottle on, is it a money saving thing? Or just the principle of not paying for what you drink? I always thought drinking on the ship was much cheaper than drinking in a bar at home, so never considered not paying.

What cruise are you on? I've not noticed kids/anyone sails free being an exclusive option. Did NCL or a TA tell you this?

When I booked the cruise through ncl directly they gave you a choice of a promo. Being the beverage , dining , or kids sail free. I'm on the breakaway it leaves Sunday

I thought people really took it pretty easy on you. Since I've never done it, I wonder why it's necessary to smuggle a bottle on, is it a money saving thing? Or just the principle of not paying for what you drink? I always thought drinking on the ship was much cheaper than drinking in a bar at home, so never considered not paying.

Huh.

Vodka in mouth wash bottles, topped with green food coloring does the trick EVERYTIME (so I've heard..) I always get the UBP now, so it's no longer an issue, but from what I understand, it's a fool-proof system :D:D:D

I would never ever ever smuggle… but your reply! Really made me chuckle. What creativity!

Remember that 86.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot... :D

Those who know from experience that successful smuggling is not at all difficult just smile at ridiculous claims such as newmexicoNita's. :cool:

You can use stats to prove anything, 79.4% of people know this:cool:

Rum runners. Google or amazon search.... Twice on the Breakaway w/o issue. Whoever said drinks are cheap, ha ha ha ha, lol...... Our final bill before UBP and with smuggled booze was still $800. Drinks add up quick.

Yea your right. That's why I didn't respond to mr ego before. It will make him feel good for me to say I want to save a buck