Changing Planes at Heathrow on way to to Danube River cruise

ninaks

If you're running late, you might ask security at the line control if you can get in the Business Class line - if you're not already flying Business. If you ask nice, they can get you in the shorter lines to get through faster. And, remember that you have to go through a security check again. On my last trip through Heathrow, I brought a bottle of water that was given to me on my previous flight - as a result, both of my carry ons were throughly searched and we were almost late for our connecting flight. The no liquids rule still applies - even if you got something after your security check in the US.

i transfered through Heathrow on a Viking Portraits of Southern France river cruise, I landed in Marseille while my luggage stayed at Heathrow, Viking went out of their way to get my bag and it took 2 days for it to arrive in Arles, they made numerous calls while I listened in and goy little results. Viking arranged for a driver to pick my bag up at the airport. I would suggest packing a carry on bag with extra clothes.

The security and pax directing personnel at LHR are horrible. We each had a back back and a personal item as permitted but the airline. We were each wearing a back pack and I was carrying both personal items (the back packs were small enough to meet the size for the personal item. There times I was stopped by by non security airport personnel and hassled about what I was carrying. Spouse and I went through security together, no problem. Then non security personnel hassled me again. Went through gate to board no problem.

We also had same experience as TravelerThom with gate assignment. What a fubar system!

I flew from Chicago to Barcelona two years ago with a layover in Heathrow...DISASTER! If memory serves, we had a two hour layover in Heathrow...plenty of time in my mind! We arrived on time, but then the plane was on the tarmac for awhile before shuttles were sent to transport us to the terminal. From there, we encountered the rudest security personnel on the planet.

My previous experience with Heathrow was great, but that was flying into & out of the airport...never had to connect before...and fortunately did not connect in Heathrow after the cruise.

Good luck!

Lola, I could not agree with you more! There are a bunch of "jobsworth" people who like all petty bureaucrats like to exercise the little power they have.

We had an hour in Terminal 5 to get from our transAtlanic flight to the flight to Moscow. I politely requested to be fast tracked. Not only did that not happen but the person insisted on taking everything out of my carryon and backpack.

Look up the british expression "jobsworth" and you will see what I mean.

Another early use was by UK folk-singer Jeremy Taylor, in a song he wrote in the late 1960s:

Jobsworth, Jobsworth, It's more than me job's worth,

I don't care, rain or snow,

whatever you want the answer's no,

I can keep you waiting for hours in the queue,

and if you don't like it you know what you can do.

Edited by Talisker92