Cruise the fjords and leave from US

You could look for a transatlantic cruise that might line up with a second cruise to the fjords. You might need to take a train or flight in Europe to connect the end point of the transatlantic to the start point of the fjord cruise. It could be on 2 different cruise lines too. I have no idea if such a combination of timing is out there however.

Cunard's Queen Mary does regular summer transatlantics. Whether this can be combined with a Queen Mary cruise to the fjords, I don't know. But several lines use Southampton regularly or occasionally (P&O, Cunard, Fred Olsen, Celebrity, Princess, RCL, Costa, etc.) and I'm sure a reasonable link could be found.

[Edit] in fact, here you are. QM2, next year: August 9 – 30-day Norwegian Fjords and Transatlantic round-trip from New York City, visiting Southampton (16), Hamburg (18), Oslo (20), Olden (22), Andalsnes (23), Trondheim (24), Flam (26), Bergen (27), Stavanger (28), Hamburg (30), Southampton (Sept 1) – prices from $6650.

Link: http://www.queenmarycruises.net/queen-mary-2-schedule/

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

I agree you should probably plan on flying.

When I went on Hurtigruten in May, I flew on Norwegian Air to Oslo, then took the train from there to Bergen to catch the ship. This is a beautiful train ride. Upon my return to Bergen I again took the train to Oslo, but booked my own side trip from Myrdal to Flam (did not do the whole Norway in a Nutshell), which was also beautiful. Norwegian was about 1/2 the price of SAS or Delta for my flights. They also fly directly from the USA to Bergen. Not a lot of flights, and only on certain days, but I actually was able to coordinate this fairly easily with my cruise and a few sightseeing days in Norway as well.

My daughter is planning on doing a Baltic cruise with her family in 2016. She is a Professor of Chemistry and Neuroscience at the University and she has a speech to give the last week of May in Denmark so her flight ticket is paid for. Baby is only 15 months old so she can go free. Dad and the 7 year old were going on credit card points. When she found SAS tickets on sale for a about half the price of United flights, she bought those (3). Went to United Vacations and booked THE CRUISE using her United milage points gained by her professional travels and credit card points. She used a Chase Sapphire credit card to book the air tickets and they added more United points 1 to 1 for the cruise. For the same outlay of cash she paid for both the flights and the cruise. I have trained the girl well and since she is smarter than me, she found this way to extend her vacation dollars. Cost out various ways of paying for each trip -- sometimes you find a way to do what you have planned and sometimes another opportunity finds you.

Happy travels.

• 1 month later...
You could look for a transatlantic cruise that might line up with a second cruise to the fjords. You might need to take a train or flight in Europe to connect the end point of the transatlantic to the start point of the fjord cruise. It could be on 2 different cruise lines too. I have no idea if such a combination of timing is out there however.

Serenade of the Seas leaves Fort Lauderdale April 29, 2016, with a 16 night transatlantic ending in Copenhagen, then a 7 night Fjord to follow, returning to Copenhagen. Many are combining both as a B2B, with the 16 night to include the Azores, Ireland, France, Brugge, Amsterdam and Copenhagen :) Dreams do come true!