Caribbean Princess Review: 9/17 to 9/24

PrincessMelody

Sproctor, sorry about that!

Actually, the Maine lobster we were served for our Ultimate Balcony dinner was spectacular! I'm not a big fan of Caribbean lobster.

trinity, I'll keep you in mind for next summer's crab leg feast. But instead of chardonnay, can you make it pinot grigio?

Good to know the UBD serves Maine lobster, Jerseygirl. Thanks for the update! Can you tell us more about the balcony dinner? Could you pick you night and time or was it limited? Did it seem private with the balconies the way they are? Worth the money, in your opinion, for the experience and the great food? We are planning on trying to reserve the balcony dinner for one of the formal nights as an anniversary gift to each other (it will be our 16th on the Friday we will be on board! :) :) ) and so far I have yet to read a bad review of it!

Scott

Trinity, When we sailed the Caribbean Princess last Jan., there was a terrific cruise director, Graham Seymour. His "Be very afraid morning show" was hilarious! We looked forward to the show every day. Do you remember if he still works onboard?

Graham S. is now on (or will soon be on Navigator of the Seas)..

And I don't usually pay that much attn to who the CD is, really, I just remember that Paul O'Donahue looked like a preacher here in town and terrific in a tu-tu in "If I were not upon the ship...", that my fav is Janet Edwards but I must disagree (respectfully;) ) on James Lay... I really didn't like him at all and it was funny bec. I commented on that and my roomie said he'd never heard me say that.. I thought his announcements are so dang LOUD and maybe it was just the few shows I went to but he was IMHO only, not funny.

Sproctor, the UBD is worth every penny. I had intentionally reserved Tuesday at 7 p.m. because I wanted to have it just as we were beginning to leave St. Thomas and the sun was setting. However, because of Hurricane Rita and the change in our itinerary, we had it on the day we left Cozumel (or Grand Cayman, now I can't remember which!) and since we turned the clocks back one hour for those islands, it was already dark. If you are doing Western Caribbean itinerary, keep that in mind. I knew they booked only two UBD per night, so that's why we arrived at the ship early so we could get onboard and reserve it right away. I think I happened to be the first one to call, because they told me I could reserve it for whatever night/time I wished.

It was well worth every penny. they called around 6:30 and asked if they could begin preparing our balcony. They came in, arranged the furniture, put a linen table cloth on the table and began setting the table, chilling the champagne and placing the fresh floral arrangments (which btw was very pretty). They had asked us ahead of time if we wanted a pre-dinner cocktail or wine. We each had a glass of wine.

I almost had a heart attack when my husband told me he tipped the two waiters $50 each, but they were absolutely wonderful (I would have given them $20 each, but that's the difference between men tippers and women tippers!). The food was the absolute best; we had the surf and turf for the entree. They called to ask us beforehand how we wanted our beef cooked, and it was cooked to perfection and you could cut it with a fork. The Maine lobster tail was very large, and cooked perfectly. Everything was just perfect. I couldn't begin to finish my meal, but our waiter nicely placed all my leftovers on a plate with a cover and put it in our fridge. They told us to call room service whenever we wanted it heated up.

BTW, don't forget to mention that it's your anniversary. They had a lovely chocolate cake for us and sang "Happy Anniversery" and "Let Me Call You Sweetheart." It was such a nice touch.

Archived