Caribbean island tips please

soobs

We are on the 4/5 December Britannia cruise, we picked the cruise for the ship not the itinerary, we have done all the islands before so are looking for some options. We love a nice beach that's easy to get to, not to far from the port. Not to much walking.

Antigua - done Millers beach

Tortola - done Nanny Cay & Cane garden

Dominica - ashamed to say only done the town and am sure I am missing something

St Lucia - done Colsol a couple of times and don't want to do a full day trip would like a nice beach - cannot remember what we did last year but sure I didn't stay on board.

Your help is appreciated

Antigua, Valley Church beach is stunning.

Dominica, rainforest waterfall is worth seeing.

You can do Valley Church by catching the #22 bus from the bus station. It drops you at the end of the track to the beach - just a 5 minute walk.

Another vote for Valley Church beach. It's got one bar, Ok toilets and a few stalls. We've used the local bus and it was very easy, from opposite the main market. Any local will be happy to direct you but it's only 10 mins interesting walk through town from the ship. We also shared a taxi from the taxi coordinator's desk in the duty free area near by the port. Cost was $4 each and the co-ordinator will fill up a taxi van with people going to the same destination. You can also get a local bus to English harbour, as mentioned in another post.

St Lucia - Local bus or taxi to beautiful Reduit Beach with selection of beach bars etc. We love Spinnakers there - great food and cocktails.

Tortola- at the end of the pier there's a line of open-sided buses waiting to take you round the island.$25. Really interesting, fantastic views of this lovely island a visit to a rum place where you can try quite a few!! Ends up at Cane Garden for a drink / snack if you want one

Edited by tartanexile81

Thank you for your suggestions, all sorted for Tortola - Brewer's beach sounds a nice change from CGB and it looks like the same type of Safari bus takes you, the only possible draw back may be not as many people going so bus may take ages to fill.

One sorted 3 more to go. Keep the idea's coming

Ports of Call

Have you checked out the ports of call section on the boards? That's where I get lots of new info from - lots of good sharing as well.

Herods Tours on St Lucia run a great trip - worth googling.

Tortola - take a trip out to Jost Van Dyke - a fab island with the soggy dollar bar.

Antigua - take a tour and see Nelsons Dockyard - well worth the trip

Hope you enjoy :)

Antigua Anither vote for Valley Church Beach

Tortola Brewers Bay great snorkeling there.

Dominica Champagne reef not a beach fabulous snorkeling and a bar which serves the best rum punch in the Caribbean. Take a taxi from the port. Lots of poverty in Dominica but away from the town it is beautiful.

St Lucia Rodney Beach ap ext to Reduit but quieter.

Have a great cruise.

We are on the 4/5 December Britannia cruise, we picked the cruise for the ship not the itinerary, we have done all the islands before so are looking for some options. We love a nice beach that's easy to get to, not to far from the port. Not to much walking.

St Lucia - done Colsol a couple of times and don't want to do a full day trip would like a nice beach - cannot remember what we did last year but sure I didn't stay on board.

Your help is appreciated

Well done soobs for this post. we're on the same cruise and are looking forward to the replies.

For your information we have booked on to Lionheart catamaran in Tortola (Aristocats.com), Cosol Tours for St Lucia (that you have already used) and Royston Tours for St Kitts.

Based on the replies, there could be quite a few good ideas.

Your help is appreciated

Have a look at Frommers guide to Caribbean islands online t list all the islands and attractions , beaches , things to do if you really want to slash out you can buy it for £15 !!! or read for free online

Dominica is beautiful - I imagine how the Caribbean was 30 years ago! We did a great tour with Sheppy - look him up on tripadvisor - great tour and great person, so much fun. He even if we had time was going to drop my husband at the cricket ground as the West Indies were playing a test match but we ran out of time. Fav day of our cruise.