Review-Regal Princess Canada/NE Oct 10-17

New York Nana

This was our 2nd NE/Canada cruise with Princess. We did the same cruise 2 years ago on the Caribbean Princess, although the itinerary ran in the opposite order (NYC-Newport-Boston-Bar Harbor-St John-Halifax-NYC). That time, our 1 sea day was the Friday prior to the return to NYC. This time, the itinerary had the sea day at the beginning, then Halifax-St John-Bar Harbor-Boston-Newport-NYC. I much prefererred the previous route. The last day (being a pack up day, as well as a tendered port) felt too busy. I don't know the reasoning for the route change, but I think Princess should go back to what they did before.

Embarkation - We had our son and family travel with us down to Red Hook to participate in the BVE. They've never cruised and we wanted our 2 young granddaughters see what the ship looked like (NOT the same as the whale watch ship in New Hamphire from a couple years ago!) I knew enough that they should be processed in the Priority boarding line (as DH and I are due to our Platinum status). We'd arrived by 11:10 (before the 11:30 time given the BVE participants). Luggage was quickly taken care of by the porter, we quickly made it through security and headed to the Priority line with virtually no one ahead of us. I told the woman in charge we were there for BVE. She sent us to an open window on the entirely opposite side of the terminal. The agent there processed my husband and me and then said she had no clue about BVE and to wait while she found out. She came back to say we were in the wrong line (I figured that) and sent us back to the Priority line, which was now significantly longer. I again tried to tell the woman directing the lines we were BVE and she just kept saying to get in the back of the line! It was now 11:30ish. Finally, the Regal Princess Future Cruise Consultant saw my frustration and directed us to the front of the line. It seems she'd been waiting for us and couldn't board with the rest of the BVE people until we were processed. FINALLY, we finished and we followed her on board. By a show of hands, we all (about 24 people) said we'd like to do our own 'tour'. We got on board and headed to the MDR for the lunch. The choices for lunch seemed much less than what I recall on the Regal from last January. 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 1 dessert.

Ship - this was our 2nd time on Regal. The cruise was sold out and with the cooler weather, the interior public areas seemed busier and more crowded over the course of the week. The Cruise Director, Martyn Moss and his staff did a fantastic job of providing many activities and we really enjoyed the shows in the theater. The first "Voice of the Ocean" was performed on this cruise and it was great fun during the finals on Friday evening. I know people complain that there aren't enough seats in the theater for everyone (1000 seats/3600 pax), but we never had a problem finding seats. Like anywhere, if you wait till 5 minutes prior to show time, you might not find one. The staff implored everyone to consider the 2nd performance of the evening where seats were plentiful.

We were in a midship cabin and we did find that the midship elevators were often full, but it was a short walk to the forward elevators and/or stairs and rarely waited. We figured out beforehand where we were headed and just went to the forward or aft stairs/elevators to get there.

Dining - We had early TD in the Allegro MDR (aft Deck 6). Our wait staff (Milan & Shawn) were outstanding! Our meals never disappointed. We had 5 dinners in the MDR. 1 in Crown Grill. My filet mignon could have been cut with a dull butter knife and the lobster tail was sweet and tasty! We ate all breakfasts in the Horizon Court and I never had a problem getting my made to order omlette. Seating was plentiful. I liked how they had a crew member requesting pax to wash their hands in the sinks prior to going inside - but despite that, MANY just walked past her to head inside! We had lunches at Alfredos and the International Cafe (LOVE those chocolate chip cookies!)

Ports -

Halifax - our only Princess excursion. Tour to Lunenburg. Buses were outside BUT it seemed that ALL of them were to Peggy's Cove (the more popular tour). After waiting about 30 minutes, our bus finally pulled up and we were off. We had a wonderful guide and we really enjoyed Lunenburg. It wasn't nearly as crowded as Peggy's Cove is and we had quite a bit of time on our own to shop and eat (it was Canada's Thanksgiving Day, so several businesses were closed).

St John - took a private taxi tour. I will only say that had the guide been better and transportation been more comfortable, it would have been a much better tour. It included St Martin, the sea caves, the reversing tides and several other stops/photo ops. I'd be interested in returning to see them again, but with a different tour company.

Bar Harbor - as a result of traveling to Canada 1st, Bar Harbor became our 1st entry port back to the USA, therefore requiring immigration processing. We received a letter identifying what we needed to bring with us (passport and cruise card), the location (Vista Lounge) and a "SUGGESTED" time based upon deck/cabin. HOWEVER, as the Cruise Director metnioned in our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, as well during the Wake Show, these times were SUGGESTED and you'd not be turned away if you arrived at any time. Processing started at 7:00am with the 1st tenders starting around 8:00am. We were in line around 6:45 and once the line started, it moved quickly. Ship crew checked your cruise card and placed a red sticky on it, then 2 US BP agents looked at passports and you just walked through and out the the other door. DONE! We then headed to the Sympany MDR to get our tender ticket and essentially walked right down to the tender. A very quick trip and we in town. We headed up the Testa's Restaurant to get our tour tickets and window shopped till it was time to meet our tour. YEAH! We saw Acadia NP this time (government shut down in 2013 - boo!) The tender to return to the ship had a line longer than expected. It was later announced that they had a tender with engine issues which reduced the available return trips.

Boston-There are multiple ways to get to the center of Boston from the port, but we chose the $14.95 round trip shuttle bus that drops you off a couple blocks from Quincy Market. We had a private walking tour of the North End and really enjoyed it (one of our favorites!). The return shuttle was easy to find and we had no issues getting back on board.

Newport - another tender port. We've been there several times (live a couple hours away), so we decided to get a couple lounges in the Sanctuary. It was cool and windy uptop, but our lounges were located right up front behind the glass and with only 1 blanket, we were comfortable and VERY well taken care of by the staff (considering we were the ONLY customers!).

As mentioned before, this was luggage pack up day, and the Finale for the Voice of the Ocean! That was great fun and the contestants deserve a HUGE 'good job' for having the confidence to perform in front of the audiance! It was great fun!

New York disembarkation - we had an early departure time and were called about 30 minutes early. We were in the Platinum/Elite/Suites lounge, but when we were called, we had to go downstairs to deck 6. Down there, the line from the Concerto DR was long and we had to get to the back of it. It moved along and we made it into the terminal and easily found our luggage, a porter and he walked us past all the customs lines, we handed over our customs form and out the door to the parking lot.

Overall we had a wonderful time, we enjoyed the ship, the food and the ports. Can't wait to return to the Regal again soon!

This is an abbreviated (for me!:rolleyes:) review. I will attempt to upload some photos in the next day or so (this 'job' thing really gets in the way! Ha!

We got on board and headed to the MDR for the lunch. The choices for lunch seemed much less than what I recall on the Regal from last January. 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 1 dessert.

Thanks for the review.

Yes, that limited menu has been reported from some other ships.

I wonder if Princess is doing that to discourage everyone from goiong to embarkation lunch in the dining room. They can can stop having it claiming too few people would come.

Thanks for your review.

We did this BVE two weeks ago and boarding could not have been easier. No confusion at all as everyone we encountered was fully aware of how the BVE passengers boarded. I guess it's still a work in progress.

This was our 2nd NE/Canada cruise with Princess. We did the same cruise 2 years ago on the Caribbean Princess, although the itinerary ran in the opposite order (NYC-Newport-Boston-Bar Harbor-St John-Halifax-NYC). That time, our 1 sea day was the Friday prior to the return to NYC. This time, the itinerary had the sea day at the beginning, then Halifax-St John-Bar Harbor-Boston-Newport-NYC. I much prefererred the previous route. The last day (being a pack up day, as well as a tendered port) felt too busy. I don't know the reasoning for the route change, but I think Princess should go back to what they did before.

Embarkation - We had our son and family travel with us down to Red Hook to participate in the BVE. They've never cruised and we wanted our 2 young granddaughters see what the ship looked like (NOT the same as the whale watch ship in New Hamphire from a couple years ago!) I knew enough that they should be processed in the Priority boarding line (as DH and I are due to our Platinum status). We'd arrived by 11:10 (before the 11:30 time given the BVE participants). Luggage was quickly taken care of by the porter, we quickly made it through security and headed to the Priority line with virtually no one ahead of us. I told the woman in charge we were there for BVE. She sent us to an open window on the entirely opposite side of the terminal. The agent there processed my husband and me and then said she had no clue about BVE and to wait while she found out. She came back to say we were in the wrong line (I figured that) and sent us back to the Priority line, which was now significantly longer. I again tried to tell the woman directing the lines we were BVE and she just kept saying to get in the back of the line! It was now 11:30ish. Finally, the Regal Princess Future Cruise Consultant saw my frustration and directed us to the front of the line. It seems she'd been waiting for us and couldn't board with the rest of the BVE people until we were processed. FINALLY, we finished and we followed her on board. By a show of hands, we all (about 24 people) said we'd like to do our own 'tour'. We got on board and headed to the MDR for the lunch. The choices for lunch seemed much less than what I recall on the Regal from last January. 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 1 dessert.

Ship - this was our 2nd time on Regal. The cruise was sold out and with the cooler weather, the interior public areas seemed busier and more crowded over the course of the week. The Cruise Director, Martyn Moss and his staff did a fantastic job of providing many activities and we really enjoyed the shows in the theater. The first "Voice of the Ocean" was performed on this cruise and it was great fun during the finals on Friday evening. I know people complain that there aren't enough seats in the theater for everyone (1000 seats/3600 pax), but we never had a problem finding seats. Like anywhere, if you wait till 5 minutes prior to show time, you might not find one. The staff implored everyone to consider the 2nd performance of the evening where seats were plentiful.

We were in a midship cabin and we did find that the midship elevators were often full, but it was a short walk to the forward elevators and/or stairs and rarely waited. We figured out beforehand where we were headed and just went to the forward or aft stairs/elevators to get there.

Dining - We had early TD in the Allegro MDR (aft Deck 6). Our wait staff (Milan & Shawn) were outstanding! Our meals never disappointed. We had 5 dinners in the MDR. 1 in Crown Grill. My filet mignon could have been cut with a dull butter knife and the lobster tail was sweet and tasty! We ate all breakfasts in the Horizon Court and I never had a problem getting my made to order omlette. Seating was plentiful. I liked how they had a crew member requesting pax to wash their hands in the sinks prior to going inside - but despite that, MANY just walked past her to head inside! We had lunches at Alfredos and the International Cafe (LOVE those chocolate chip cookies!)

Ports -

Halifax - our only Princess excursion. Tour to Lunenburg. Buses were outside BUT it seemed that ALL of them were to Peggy's Cove (the more popular tour). After waiting about 30 minutes, our bus finally pulled up and we were off. We had a wonderful guide and we really enjoyed Lunenburg. It wasn't nearly as crowded as Peggy's Cove is and we had quite a bit of time on our own to shop and eat (it was Canada's Thanksgiving Day, so several businesses were closed).

St John - took a private taxi tour. I will only say that had the guide been better and transportation been more comfortable, it would have been a much better tour. It included St Martin, the sea caves, the reversing tides and several other stops/photo ops. I'd be interested in returning to see them again, but with a different tour company.

Bar Harbor - as a result of traveling to Canada 1st, Bar Harbor became our 1st entry port back to the USA, therefore requiring immigration processing. We received a letter identifying what we needed to bring with us (passport and cruise card), the location (Vista Lounge) and a "SUGGESTED" time based upon deck/cabin. HOWEVER, as the Cruise Director metnioned in our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, as well during the Wake Show, these times were SUGGESTED and you'd not be turned away if you arrived at any time. Processing started at 7:00am with the 1st tenders starting around 8:00am. We were in line around 6:45 and once the line started, it moved quickly. Ship crew checked your cruise card and placed a red sticky on it, then 2 US BP agents looked at passports and you just walked through and out the the other door. DONE! We then headed to the Sympany MDR to get our tender ticket and essentially walked right down to the tender. A very quick trip and we in town. We headed up the Testa's Restaurant to get our tour tickets and window shopped till it was time to meet our tour. YEAH! We saw Acadia NP this time (government shut down in 2013 - boo!) The tender to return to the ship had a line longer than expected. It was later announced that they had a tender with engine issues which reduced the available return trips.

Boston-There are multiple ways to get to the center of Boston from the port, but we chose the $14.95 round trip shuttle bus that drops you off a couple blocks from Quincy Market. We had a private walking tour of the North End and really enjoyed it (one of our favorites!). The return shuttle was easy to find and we had no issues getting back on board.

Newport - another tender port. We've been there several times (live a couple hours away), so we decided to get a couple lounges in the Sanctuary. It was cool and windy uptop, but our lounges were located right up front behind the glass and with only 1 blanket, we were comfortable and VERY well taken care of by the staff (considering we were the ONLY customers!).

As mentioned before, this was luggage pack up day, and the Finale for the Voice of the Ocean! That was great fun and the contestants deserve a HUGE 'good job' for having the confidence to perform in front of the audiance! It was great fun!

New York disembarkation - we had an early departure time and were called about 30 minutes early. We were in the Platinum/Elite/Suites lounge, but when we were called, we had to go downstairs to deck 6. Down there, the line from the Concerto DR was long and we had to get to the back of it. It moved along and we made it into the terminal and easily found our luggage, a porter and he walked us past all the customs lines, we handed over our customs form and out the door to the parking lot.

Overall we had a wonderful time, we enjoyed the ship, the food and the ports. Can't wait to return to the Regal again soon!

This is an abbreviated (for me!:rolleyes:) review. I will attempt to upload some photos in the next day or so (this 'job' thing really gets in the way! Ha!

Our 10/17 sailing worked in the same port order as yours -- sea day on day 2. Really forced us to start packing right after Bar Harbour. We had 3 in our cabin (fold down sofa bed) on Emerald deck almost mid ship and had to be really inventive on where we placed luggage as we continued to pack after Boston and finally after returning from Newport. Same dining room, Allegro, but 2nd seating. Cabin location worked great for getting around the ship. No issue with the elevators. Missed out on a lot of the outside deck due to cold temps. When we left NY it was 30 degrees. Bar Harbour was our warmest port!

We made all the production shows. CD switched one of them to before dinner to try to even out the number of passengers attending both shows. As he said, many 1st sitting passengers still went to the early show!:( Our only issue was we missed out on anything held at 9:15 PM since we were still at dinner. Totally missed the Choir and "Voice of the Ocean" as we managed to get all our luggage outside before we left for dinner.

Felt that so much was packed into 7 days that normally would have been more than enough for a 9-day sailing as Princess used to do. We were exhausted after 5 ports and no sea day at the end. Need a vacation after the cruise!:D:eek:

Loved all the food choices and everyday afternoon tea in Buffet area, International Cafe and MDR.

Platinum check in and departure really organized well. Red Hook really has their act together. But sadly not as many sailings as we would like.

MARAPRINCE

Did you see lots of "fall colors" during the cruise? I'm interested in doing this cruise just want to time it right to see the fall colors along the way. Any time frame suggestions on when to take this cruise?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat :)

Did you see lots of "fall colors" during the cruise? I'm interested in doing this cruise just want to time it right to see the fall colors along the way. Any time frame suggestions on when to take this cruise?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat :)

The Fall colors are affected by the summer heat/rain fall. This year actually had a week to 10 day delay in the 'peak' colors popping. That being said, the 2nd week is 'generally' peak up north and the further south you go, the later the peak. Columbus Day/Canada Thanksgiving weekend is the most popular 'leaf peeping' time and a safe time to catch the colors.

If you google Maine's fall foliage website, you can see the history of past years foliage season and when the peak periods were.

Hope this helps! Have fun planning!

Barb

Thanks for the "good job" I was one of those eight finalists:)

Wow! Yes! GREAT JOB! I give you and the others a LOT of credit for getting up there! We really enjoyed the show and hope to catch another one in January on the Regal.

Congratulations for making it to the finals!