Del Rio for president

CruisinHarvey

Well maybe not, but close! I just read an article in my Sunday paper, from USA today on Del Rio's insistence on spotless ships. Not concentrating on that part of the article, there were other interesting facts. Unfortunately I can't find a soft version to share. But, it's obvious that from a financial perspective he doing a great job. Although the entire cruise industry is doing pretty well. Whether or not it's really his influence that has impacted NCL results, I'm sure he'll take credit for it, and why wouldn't he.

Net income for the second quarter was 158.5 mil compared to 111.6 mil the same quarter last year. Stock price was $39 last Oct 31, 2104 and rose to $63.62 as of Friday. So, for those of you, and there are many, who say Del Rio will be the demise of NCL, you need to look again at your definition of demise. It may be the demise of NCL as you know it, but it appears the new NCL will be flourishing.

My suggestion is not to condemn his decision making in general. It surely will fall on deaf ears. But, stand up against specific changes, where action can be taken. Let's let the reversal of the "no takeout" policy be the guide for change, one change at a time.

If you sail Oceania you can see how great the ships are kept. Seems he is trying to do the same on NCL. What I do not like is the plan to keep fares low and add lots of extra charges. I prefer to pay more and enjoy my trip not bean counting as I go.

Love that he requires a spotless ship.

I'd rather him keep the fares low and allow me to choose how I want to spend my money on NCL. There are other cruise lines that have more extras included and I cruise on them as well, but when I cruise on NCL, I don't want a high fare, as I want a low far and choices on which extras I want.

Here,the actual article from USAToday:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/10/26/norwegian-ceo-del-rio/74611874/

Plus next week is the NCL investor call - so you know the complainers are going to bad-mouth the finances , whether it good or bad. ;) And if being profitable while still making changes is a "demise" of a business, then I want that demise because that not a bad way to go out - making money for years and attracting more customers. :D

Edited by maywell

I guess my problem I love the free style concept and NCL and Oceania are the only lines that have it. I find the Oceania ships boaring and the new NCL has so many fees, charge, a la cart pricing and plans that I find it a pain just to figure it out. There must be a place in-between.

I'm a shareholder, and I consider NCLH a relatively stable issue, it says in the $60's and I'm comfortable with that. I also find my cruise costs have not gone up drastically over the past several years simply because of a variety of special offers NCL puts out there. I have a cruise coming up on the Escape, and my cost in a Haven suite with my wife son and DIL, is a bargain when NCL lets me take them free with the exception of port fees and taxes. Throw in UDP, UBP, waived DSC, and $450 in OBC, I like that a lot, and my investment seems secure.;)

I guess my problem I love the free style concept and NCL and Oceania are the only lines that have it. I find the Oceania ships boaring and the new NCL has so many fees, charge, a la cart pricing and plans that I find it a pain just to figure it out. There must be a place in-between.
Celebrity can also be "freestyle". You can eat with the "select dining", so you are not required to choose from one of the two fixed dining times nor do you have to sit at the same table with the same people each night and you get to choose what time you want to have dinner. Attire is also smart casual, except for the two formal nights on a seven day cruise, but I must say that they are not near as formal as when I started cruising with them and their specialty restaurants and buffet are smart casual during formal dinners.

Other than DSC, which is lower than Oceania and room service fee, which depends on how much you plan to you use - the only "extra" fees mostly were to specialty dining, which some of the restaurant had a pricing model change and drink /dining promo that a choice among 4 promos , having a service change that has to be paid by final payment. Most of the fees are mostly extra charges before Del Rio took over the 3 lines anyway - personally, the extras are not really needed to have a good time, there's still plenty of included in the base fare.

I'm a shareholder, and I consider NCLH a relatively stable issue, it says in the $60's and I'm comfortable with that. I also find my cruise costs have not gone up drastically over the past several years simply because of a variety of special offers NCL puts out there. I have a cruise coming up on the Escape, and my cost in a Haven suite with my wife son and DIL, is a bargain when NCL lets me take them free with the exception of port fees and taxes. Throw in UDP, UBP, waived DSC, and $450 in OBC, I like that a lot, and my investment seems secure.;)

That's a wise investment. :) Enjoy your trip!

Here,the actual article from USAToday:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/10/26/norwegian-ceo-del-rio/74611874/

Plus next week is the NCL investor call - so you know the complainers are going to bad-mouth the finances , whether it good or bad. ;) And if being profitable while still making changes is a "demise" of a business, then I want that demise because that not a bad way to go out - making money for years and attracting more customers. :D

That's the article that keeps coming up when I try to find it. The one in my paper from the Sunday USA Money section, starts out as the same article by Gene Sloan but goes into the financials too. I can't find the exact article online, darn it. At any rate, I think anyone can find the numbers, if they look.

That's the article that keeps coming up when I try to find it. The one in my paper from the Sunday USA Money section, starts out as the same article by Gene Sloan but goes into the financials too. I can't find the exact article online, darn it. At any rate, I think anyone can find the numbers, if they look.

Some of last quarter numbers are on Yahoo Finance, Nasdaq and Bloomberg among others - And I have to say their numbers were good despite the Zack analysts saying NCL missing the profit/revenue mark and complaints about the changes on the CC forums.

If you sail Oceania you can see how great the ships are kept. Seems he is trying to do the same on NCL. What I do not like is the plan to keep fares low and add lots of extra charges. I prefer to pay more and enjoy my trip not bean counting as I go.

You can prepay most of those extras and leave your beans at home. I prefer paying for the add ons I want and not those I do not. I like nickle and diming.

I didn't see this thread before I started mine on this subject

I just want to know why the article says the gem already emerged from dry dock

If they got that wrong in the article who knows what other stuff the article is incorrectly stating?

Same as I posted in the other thread. Magazine articles are written in advance of print. Perhaps that was the scheduled completion date and it took a little longer, nothing devious I'm sure

Same as I posted in the other thread. Magazine articles are written in advance of print. Perhaps that was the scheduled completion date and it took a little longer, nothing devious I'm sure

I've been reading for months about the early November gem dry dock so USA today was wrong.