Cost of Thalassotherapy Pool

tlund

Contemplating using the Thalassotherapy Pool on our upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam sailing. We aren't really spa people so we wouldn't be looking for a spa package of other items that also includes the pool use. We just want to use the pool. Any idea what the current cost is for just the pool use? Thanks.

Contemplating using the Thalassotherapy Pool on our upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam sailing. We aren't really spa people so we wouldn't be looking for a spa package of other items that also includes the pool use. We just want to use the pool. Any idea what the current cost is for just the pool use? Thanks.

Not sure what price is for a 7 day cruise, but if you look under "Indulgences" on your booking (HAL website), you can get an idea. I've always booked it as soon as we get on the ship by stopping at the Spa desk, and it is always cheaper than HAL's list price. The pool and heated ceramic loungers are wonderful.

Thank you!! I was having trouble finding the price on the website. Do they offer a daily rate if you don't want to do it for the entire week?

They do, but only if space (restricted) allows. Not sure of price.

We had obc on the Eurodam this year and treated ourselves to this ..... hubby went along with it but he thought he would not really like it much ....he did it for me .... After the first day he was doing it for himself !!!!!! Was the best thing we could have spent our money on ..worth every penny

We had obc on the Eurodam this year and treated ourselves to this ..... hubby went along with it but he thought he would not really like it much ....he did it for me .... After the first day he was doing it for himself !!!!!! Was the best thing we could have spent our money on ..worth every penny

I've never been in the SPA pool but have been using my cane & heating pad lately due to backaches... Last time I had this problem when planning a cruise I had a couple of massages on board, but it really did not help much.. Wonder if the pool would be better for me? Also if I buy a day pass is there a time limit for staying in the pool?

I've never been in the SPA pool but have been using my cane & heating pad lately due to backaches... Last time I had this problem when planning a cruise I had a couple of massages on board, but it really did not help much.. Wonder if the pool would be better for me? Also if I buy a day pass is there a time limit for staying in the pool?

I think that the pool AND the tile loungers would be good for your back. You can stay in the pool as long as you like, but be careful as it is a bit hot and can dehydrate you. You can go back as often as you wish as well.

The water in the pool, when set to the proper temperature, should be around 98 degrees Fahrenheit, the same as body temperature. This is cooler than the traditional hot tubs and you can therefore stay in the hydro pool as long as you wish without any negative effects to the skin or any other problems.

I think that the pool AND the tile loungers would be good for your back. You can stay in the pool as long as you like, but be careful as it is a bit hot and can dehydrate you. You can go back as often as you wish as well.

The water in the pool, when set to the proper temperature, should be around 98 degrees Fahrenheit, the same as body temperature. This is cooler than the traditional hot tubs and you can therefore stay in the hydro pool as long as you wish without any negative effects to the skin or any other problems.

Thank you both for this info..

Hello Betty,

On our last cruise aboard the Niew Amsterdam I had such a bad back I thought about not going on the cruise at all. Then like you I thought I'll get a couple of deep tissue massage treatments and hope for the best. I went with my wife and daughter to the introduction for the spa/gym area, and one of the places we visited was the hydro pool area and the heated tile lounges. I signed up and was really glad I did. These two relaxation/treatment areas gave me the opportunity to enjoy the cruise. There are also some scented steam rooms, and showers that you can adjust to mimic a rain forest and several other things like a glacial mist. I think you'd enjoy it. I did have to have spinal surgery about six moths later. The surgery went perfectly and now I'm in the peach orchard.

Thanks,

Michael

Hello Betty,

On our last cruise aboard the Niew Amsterdam I had such a bad back I thought about not going on the cruise at all. Then like you I thought I'll get a couple of deep tissue massage treatments and hope for the best. I went with my wife and daughter to the introduction for the spa/gym area, and one of the places we visited was the hydro pool area and the heated tile lounges. I signed up and was really glad I did. These two relaxation/treatment areas gave me the opportunity to enjoy the cruise. There are also some scented steam rooms, and showers that you can adjust to mimic a rain forest and several other things like a glacial mist. I think you'd enjoy it. I did have to have spinal surgery about six moths later. The surgery went perfectly and now I'm in the peach orchard.

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks Michael, If my back doesn't get better by the time we leave, I'll plan on doing the pool & going into the spa.. Not quite sure about a steam room though, but Iwill look into it.. Happy to hear your surgery went well..I'm trying to avoid having an operation, as I really need to be with DH.. Don't want him to be alone if I'm in the Hospital..While I'm in the pool he can sit out on deck with our Friends..

Edited by serendipity1499

I've never used the spa pool on a HAL ship. I've used one on other ships and loved it. What are the jets like? Are they at different heights so you can target specific muscles?

With only 6 loungers, how difficult is it to get one?

I assume you mean the Spa pool you have to pay for. In answer, the pool/hot tub varies greatly by ship. In the smaller R and S class ships it is very small (3-4 people MAX!). The larger ships can hold 15-20 people comfortably (just to give you an idea of size difference).

On neither one can you adjust the jets (to my knowledge). The larger pools have a small area (2-3 people) near the center with higher pressure jets and this is what you likely will need for sore muscles.

As to the loungers, there is a sign that asks you to limit your time (to I think 20 minutes) and most people abide by this. As you would expect, during sea days these loungers can get very busy. What we try to do is to go during the non-peak times (like lunch and dinner, special events, port days, etc.) and often we are the only ones in there (which is quite nice). So, plan ahead.

I assume you mean the Spa pool you have to pay for. In answer, the pool/hot tub varies greatly by ship. In the smaller R and S class ships it is very small (3-4 people MAX!). The larger ships can hold 15-20 people comfortably (just to give you an idea of size difference).

On neither one can you adjust the jets (to my knowledge). The larger pools have a small area (2-3 people) near the center with higher pressure jets and this is what you likely will need for sore muscles.

As to the loungers, there is a sign that asks you to limit your time (to I think 20 minutes) and most people abide by this. As you would expect, during sea days these loungers can get very busy. What we try to do is to go during the non-peak times (like lunch and dinner, special events, port days, etc.) and often we are the only ones in there (which is quite nice). So, plan ahead.

We'll be on Oosterdam, which I know has the larger pool. I was hoping for "stations" like they had on QE2. You could start at one point, with jets at the ankles, then move on to the jets at calf height, then thigh, and work your way around the edge of the pool until you got to shoulder height. Or you could just go to the jets that targeted your issue. They weren't adjustable, you just had to find the height that hit your muscles just right.

As long as the pool has jets where we can stand in front of them and get our backs "massaged" we'll be good.

We don't expect to spend all day in port, so I'm thinking we'll have times when lots of people are off the ship and the spa will be quiet, so those are the times I'll look for the pool and loungers.

We'll be on Oosterdam, which I know has the larger pool. I was hoping for "stations" like they had on QE2. You could start at one point, with jets at the ankles, then move on to the jets at calf height, then thigh, and work your way around the edge of the pool until you got to shoulder height. Or you could just go to the jets that targeted your issue. They weren't adjustable, you just had to find the height that hit your muscles just right.

As long as the pool has jets where we can stand in front of them and get our backs "massaged" we'll be good.

We don't expect to spend all day in port, so I'm thinking we'll have times when lots of people are off the ship and the spa will be quiet, so those are the times I'll look for the pool and loungers.

The center section of the pool should work for what you want.

Someone else mentioned the 98 degree temp not being a problem, but I would still be a bit careful since once I got very light-headed after being in the pool for over 30 minutes.

FYI - there is a switch that turns the spa jets on. You have to use it every 20 or so minutes, much like on most public hot tubs. Its normally near the pool access point (wood deck).

Funny story (at least I think it is):

Once I was in the Hydro pool by myself and in comes a spa attendant with a customer in tow. I see them discussing the pool area, etc. so I figure the lady was on the one day spa special which included an hour in the pool. The attendant leaves and as the lady just gets into the pool, the jets stop (timed out). So the lady says to me - "what does that mean?". As I get up to exit the pool to turn the jets back on, I say "that means our hour is up - we have to leave!" The lady was not very happy and had a few choice words!! I thought it was very funny though.

Edited by DaveOKC

The center section of the pool should work for what you want.

Someone else mentioned the 98 degree temp not being a problem, but I would still be a bit careful since once I got very light-headed after being in the pool for over 30 minutes.

FYI - there is a switch that turns the spa jets on. You have to use it every 20 or so minutes, much like on most public hot tubs. Its normally near the pool access point (wood deck).

Funny story (at least I think it is):

Once I was in the Hydro pool by myself and in comes a spa attendant with a customer in tow. I see them discussing the pool area, etc. so I figure the lady was on the one day spa special which included an hour in the pool. The attendant leaves and as the lady just gets into the pool, the jets stop (timed out). So the lady says to me - "what does that mean?". As I get up to exit the pool to turn the jets back on, I say "that means our hour is up - we have to leave!" The lady was not very happy and had a few choice words!! I thought it was very funny though.

I think it's funny, too. I guess the attendant didn't explain about the switch.

So the day pass gives you just one hour? We'll definitely get the full pass because we wouldn't spend a whole hour in the pool, but sometimes it's nice to have a relaxing soak in the morning and then go back in the afternoon after time in port.

I think it's funny, too. I guess the attendant didn't explain about the switch.

So the day pass gives you just one hour? We'll definitely get the full pass because we wouldn't spend a whole hour in the pool, but sometimes it's nice to have a relaxing soak in the morning and then go back in the afternoon after time in port.

I think the day pass does give you an entire day. The package the lady had was several spa services PLUS an hour in the pool. Not the same thing. Sorry if I was not clear.

Good story. You can always tell who the newbies are by their reaction of shock when they are in the pool and the jets stop. Complete silence and all of them looking at each other with that look of despair in their eyes. Then a veteran coolly stands up, walks up a few steps, pushes a button and the smiles quickly reappear. :) The newbies are then converted and gladly impart their newfound knowledge in other newbies the next time it happens. :)