Security screening

K&RCurt

I just saw a thread on someone with a hip replacement asking about screening, which prompted me to ask about security screening when boarding the ship.

I am a Type I diabetic and since my last cruise I have started using both and insulin pump as well as a continuous glucose monitoring system. This means I am almost constantly attached to my pump and also always have a metal sensor inserted under my skin for the glucose monitor. The manufacturer of the pump states that it can't go through an X-Ray machine OR a metal detector OR one of those "enhanced body scan" machines. Likewise the company that makes the sensor that goes under my skin says not to go through metal detectors or the body scan equipment.

As being on these devices is new to me, I never noticed if there is a "Opt Out" option when getting on ships as there is through airport TSA checkpoints in order to avoid the metal detector or body scan.

Does anyone know if this option exists for Celebrity?

I have a pacemaker (so have to avoid the magnetometer) and I always ask for a hand screening - never had a problem.

Thanks, I figured that would be the case. I have always found security onto the ship less intrusive than TSA in airports and assumed that if the TSA can manage it the cruise lines would as well...But you know the dangers of assuming!

Contact special needs Celebrity and ensure they have the medical information appropriate. I am sure they will advise and look after you.

Have a great cruise!

Good suggestion. luckily I think the ability to avoid the Metal detector and X-Ray machine for my devices is all the "special treatment" I require. The insulin pump and continuous monitoring make it so much easier to manage things.

It may be best to get a note from your doctor to have with you when going through security. I know that having that will make TSA screenings easier.

As I said in the other thread on this issue, I wouldn't bother with cards or letters. TSA, CBSA or any other agency tasked with airport screening MUST conduct an in situ verification and can not accept written or verbal third party information as to the cause of detection systems going off. They are going to conduct the check no matter what the letter might say, so asking them to read it is just going to slow down the whole process.

As I said in the other thread on this issue, I wouldn't bother with cards or letters. TSA, CBSA or any other agency tasked with airport screening MUST conduct an in situ verification and can not accept written or verbal third party information as to the cause of detection systems going off. They are going to conduct the check no matter what the letter might say, so asking them to read it is just going to slow down the whole process.

Yes, I have a prescription with me all the time, but I don't offer it and TSA has never asked. At the airport I just tell the TSA people that I require hand pat-down due to my insulin pump, and they get someone to do it and do an explosives screening on the pump. Half the time I get through the line faster than those going through the scanner or metal detector (usually due to folks who can't comprehend that they need to remove EVERYTHING from their persons that is metal!)

I just wanted to make sure a hand screening was available.

Good suggestion. luckily I think the ability to avoid the Metal detector and X-Ray machine for my devices is all the "special treatment" I require. The insulin pump and continuous monitoring make it so much easier to manage things.
Many cruise ship passengers have implants and/or special devices of one kind or another and cannot go through a metal detector, so the security people are very accustomed to them.

It really is no big deal at all. No long explanation is needed as to what kind of medical problem you have as they really don't care, since they process so many people with a variety of different devices and medical implants. You don't need to show any kind of documentation.

All you do is mention the fact, and they tell you to step right around the metal detector. They do a cursory pat down that takes less than a minute. You don't need to remove your shoes.

It is much faster and less invasive than going through airport security.

Edited by fleckle

Last cruise I simply told them I needed a pat down due to pacemaker. DH has port so he too requested pat down. I now have device implanted in spine and an artificial hip so definitely need pat down. They were more than happy to accomodate. I do have cards which were given by manufacturer of pacemaker and also cataract implants. I almost seem bionic with all the implants.

Like you I too am victim to an apparatus. Be sure to keep all documentation you have. IE: Doctors note, apparatus type, lists of medicines any thing else you can think of. In all our travel both airport and cruise line security have been very cooperative to work with. Before going thru the machine you just tell the security agent you need to be checked by hand. They will direct you where to stand and then proceed to clear you. But I was detained once because of my new walker with a seat. That seat has a mesh compartment under it. This for some reason upset the inspector and I was taken to a room at the airport and patted down. Then I was required to give all documentation I had on the walker. I didn't think a walker with an open basket underneath would be suspect, but it was. I was told no documentation or receipt or anything, it will be confiscated. They took the $89.00 walker. I was released. So from then on I always carry paperwork. Was never asked again, but I have an envelope with all the paperwork just in case. That was in Greece. Guess someone needed a walker! They are nice and they definitely beat the hospital kind with the tennis ball. Enjoy your trip, all will be fine.:D

Just want to add that the reason security people usually don't care if you show them documentation and will pat you down anyway is because they know very well that anyone can easily produce what appears to be a letter on a doctor's letterhead or a laminated card with a medical company's logo on it.