Thinking of trying NCL

murph1031

Hey, we are not experienced cruisers. So far we have sailed 3 times, all with carnival. I'm currently looking at booking the NCL Epic next year. I have read a lot of posts here as well as checked the NCL website but still remained confused on some stuff. I hope you guys don't mind me asking a few questions.

If there enough free dining rooms to eat dinner at night within purchasing the dining package? And if so is the food decent?

If we do book the dining package can it be done later on or must it be done at the time of the booking?

Can you order Anything at the listed restaurants in the package?

We will purchase the beverage package, can this be used while in thee specialty restaurants?

Is there a limit to the amount of drinks you can get on the beverage package per day?

Shows? are they free or are we required to purchase tickets?

And one final question. If you could list one thing that you love about NCL, what would it be?

Thanks for any help

Rob

I can't help you with the Epic questions but.

What we like about NCL is the Freestyle dining; eat what you like, where you like; when you like; with whom you like!! :D And there is plenty of Free choice without having to pay extra. :)

Mike

Pom by Birth; Retired Coin Collecting Kiwi by Choice.

Hi Rob!

I've been on two NCL cruises and with the exception of one visit to the sushi bar, I haven't been to any paid restaurants. We've enjoyed the MDR food and the Garden Café as well ... I'm not too keen on meat, so Cagney's was never an option for me and my steak loving friend was happy with the steaks she got in the MDRs.

So from my point of view it is entirely possible to enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks without going to a place that charges extra!

The beverage package will get you whatever drinks you want that are under 15 dollars (meaning ... all of them, as of right now it doesn't look like even the fanciest cocktail is more expensive. Champagne might not be included ... bottles of water and wine are not.)

We purchased the UBP on one cruise and I went without it this summer ... missed it quite a lot ;) if you can get it as a promo, do it!

Most of the shows onboard are free, but I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the Epic. I'm sure you can check that out online, though.

What I like about NCL are the ships who are in great shape, the lovely crew and affordable prices.

Hello,we are platinum on Carnival and Diamond Plus on Royal then we found NCL Getaway. We are setting in Aruba right now on the Getaway for the third time and just got off the Star 8 days ago. Ok enough bragging, I love the specialty res. Never have been in the main dining rooms so can't speak to them. I have never had a bad meal anywhere on these ship. If you can get free dinner package take it if you like to eat and the freestyle is the pick. The rooms are nice,service is perfect,ships are clean, ect. I do believe that with the drink package you don't get all the top shelf stuff but who cares anyway. The ports are the same with any cruise line so that doesn't matter. Pick NCL you will be glad you did,not as cheap as Carnival but food is much better. By the way I'm on my thirty fifth cruise day with NCL.

Hey, we are not experienced cruisers. So far we have sailed 3 times, all with carnival. I'm currently looking at booking the NCL Epic next year. I have read a lot of posts here as well as checked the NCL website but still remained confused on some stuff. I hope you guys don't mind me asking a few questions.

If there enough free dining rooms to eat dinner at night within purchasing the dining package? And if so is the food decent?

If we do book the dining package can it be done later on or must it be done at the time of the booking?

Can you order Anything at the listed restaurants in the package?

We will purchase the beverage package, can this be used while in thee specialty restaurants?

Is there a limit to the amount of drinks you can get on the beverage package per day?

Shows? are they free or are we required to purchase tickets?

And one final question. If you could list one thing that you love about NCL, what would it be?

Thanks for any help

Rob

There is always space to eat for free, in the buffet, o'sheehans or the MDR's or shanghais. You occasionally at primetime need to wait 15-20mins for a table. I enjoy the food - and have only eaten once in a speciality dining option (cirque show)

I think you can purchase dining onboard, but maybe only on the first day. You can make reservations for speciality restaurants onboard without the package. The package T&C's are changing all the time, there is talk of a la carte pricing, and its unclear at present what this will mean for package guests.

No limit on drinks and yes can be used anywhere on ship including restaurants.

Most shows are free (Priscilla and burn the floor, howl at the moon, beatles etc) The only pay one is cirque dreams which comes with a meal. You can reserve from 90 days out for the main shows.

The thing I love about NCL is freestyle - dine when you want, where you want with whoever you want, and dress up if you want or just smart casual if not!!

I like what some complain about. I get to choose what I want too add on AND pay for. I love the flexibility on NCL.

I am happy in the MDR. But I throw in specialty dining too. I like to mix it up.

I have enjoyed all my cruises. But Since I discovered the NCL suite life I have loved that. (Especially the suite breakfast. ). But even before that I have always felt special on NCL. The crew is just wonderful. They are always smiling and asking if you are having a good time.

I like what some complain about. I get to choose what I want too add on AND pay for. I love the flexibility on NCL.

I am happy in the MDR. But I throw in specialty dining too. I like to mix it up.

I have enjoyed all my cruises. But Since I discovered the NCL suite life I have loved that. (Especially the suite breakfast. ). But even before that I have always felt special on NCL. The crew is just wonderful. They are always smiling and asking if you are having a good time.

Exactly my thoughts! I was scared to see some of the remarks here thrown their way.. It has really been debbie downer around here lately..

It is going to take some planning but you will be really pleased with NCL. There are plenty of free places to eat and always the buffet (I hate buffets and it's really good) We like asian so the free asian for us is great..

Now we enjoy speciality dining but not for the entire trip.. There is a 3 night dining package for 70 including tip per person. Then you can have whatever you want for 3 nights at the speciality places.. I hate to give advice not knowing someone's taste..

If you book you will probably get a free choice which you could choose the unlimited beverage package. All drinks up to 15 dollars. Currently you need to pay the tips beforehand.. Around 175

Y but ot good eah, some of things some people complain about, like complimentary food tasting like Applebees/Chili's - well, something wrong with them because those taste good/great.[emoji14]

I like NCL for the variety of choices they have - not necessarily all are free, but it good that choices. Yes, you can dine a full week at the complimentary places for breakfast /lunch/dinner and not bother going to specialty dining at all. One has to try really hard to schedule a time at specialty restaurant because that's how good the complimentary choices at NCL are. The specialty dining is pretty good too, don't get me wrong - one should dining at them at least 1-3 during the trip, so maybe a 3 day SDP is a good idea if one still wants to dine at both.

Try to go to their shows - way higher production value than Carnival. It may not have Punchliners but all other shows like "Howl at the moon" make up for it.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great replies. Great info and its pushing me towards trying NCL. Did someone mention above that o'sheehans is one of the free dining options?

Thanks

Rob

O'Sheehan's is free dining choice - still got to pay for alcohol and soda they serve in there, tho.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

There are plenty of complimentary dining options & they're all good IMO. O'sheehans is one of them (the chicken tenders are delicious). You can order drinks at specialty restaurants & they will be included in the UBP. There's no max limit IIRC. Most shows are free, but there are some you would need to buy tickets for.

I sail with both NCL and Carnival, the two lines are very comparable and I find no real difference other than decor, Carnival being a little louder ;), but I don't let the colour on the wall determine how I enjoy or where I stay on my vacation!

I will say that we prefer the 'free' food on Carnival, but, it isn't to say it's bad on NCL, we certainly never went hungry and were more than satisfied with what we received. The pay steak houses are comparable, though my trip on the NCL Sky in September, wasn't the best experience, cold sides, warm dessert ... more than likely an off night, but the steak was perfect!

I'm not a show person, so I can't comment on those, but love the white hot party, sail-aways are similar, plus fun on the deck!

We enjoyed the beverage package (no daily limit) and would do it again even though we're not heavy drinkers. However, at the 'cost' on some of the cruises ... it's really not free, but you know your cost upfront, it sometimes is worth the higher cost of the cruise. I liked knowing we could try different drinks and it wouldn't cost us, other than a tip for the servers.

My trip to Bermuda next Sept. was originally booked on the Dawn with the UBP, but, when the Carnival sailings came out, I snagged a balcony on the Pride for more than 700 USD savings per person (2), even with the guaranteed lower exchange with NCL! It's gone up now, but glad I was able to grab it at the price I got (money in my pocket), otherwise I would have happily stayed with NCL.