Cruising without Children for first time. Permission for Grandparents

hunterjackson

My wife and I are taking a short 3 day cruise next week...our first time away in 4 years since the birth of our first child.

We are of course excited...but nervous about leaving our little guys at home with Grandma. I know everyone will be fine, but we want to be prepared.

What do we need to make sure Grandma can make decisions on behalf of our children. I didn't want to have to do a full Power of Attorney, hoping we can just get something written down and notarized.

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks!

I looked into it when I was looking at taking my niece on a vacation with me -- without her parents. All you really need is a letter (probably best to have it notarized) giving your permission for grandma to get medical care for your child if the need arises and I would make sure to leave grandma with a copy of your insurance card. I would also include a list of all medications, if any, that your child is taking; a list of known allergies; and anything else that a medical provider might need to treat the child in case of an emergency. I would also include the name and contact information of your child's primary physician in case grandma is not able to take child to his/her own physician.

Other than that I would say relax and enjoy yourself. Grandma knows what she's doing :-)

Edited by pkay414

I usually also give the pediatrician's office a call and let them know that I'll be away and that Grandma has my permission and autho to seek medical care for her. Just another safety step. (before I started to do that, my Ped would call me and ask if it was ok - so now I just let them know.) Have Fun - don't worry ...

Make sure they have the insurance info, and permission to make medical decisions on behalf of the kids. Usually, just talking to the pediatrician is enough.

We left our kids with the grandparents many times. Good for the kids! Good for the grandparents, and GREAT for you! You aren't just a parent...you are still a couple, and deserve some "couples" time, without thinking about the kiddos!

The grandparents raised you or hubby without killing you...and they will take care of the grand kids MUCH better than they ever took care of you....that's a guarantee! That's how it works!

Now...stop worrying..and have fun as a COUPLE!!!!

thanks everyone for putting our mind at ease.

I can't wait to get away...just the last thing I wanted to happen was an ER visit and the doctor saying that he can't treat because a guardian is not present.

I found a form on a website to fill out which seems to state everything we want.

Thanks guys!