Explorer in Alaska

deliver42

I've been looking at cruises in Alaska for May, 2017. In 2016, the Explorer does a 7 day RT from Seattle, which I'm looking for. However, Both Princess and Celebrity stop at Ketchikan. The Explorer doesn't. Does anyone know why not? Is it because of her size? If it did, that would be the ship, but if not, then it would be between the other 2. Probably with Princess, because they have a smoker's lounge, which X doesn't. I love Royal, but that would be a deal killer.

I've been looking at cruises in Alaska for May, 2017. In 2016, the Explorer does a 7 day RT from Seattle, which I'm looking for. However, Both Princess and Celebrity stop at Ketchikan. The Explorer doesn't. Does anyone know why not? Is it because of her size? If it did, that would be the ship, but if not, then it would be between the other 2. Probably with Princess, because they have a smoker's lounge, which X doesn't. I love Royal, but that would be a deal killer.

We looked at Explorer for next June. It got nixed in favor of Crown Princess because Explorer does not go to Glacier Bay

It is taking the same Itinerary as the Jewel and Rhapsody have had over the past few years (Jewel this year and Rhapsody several years prior). aside from maybe the first and last cruise where they sailed out of/into Vancouver preparing to come/leave Alaska for the season they never stopped in Ketchikan either. Again, just how the itinerary has been set up for years.

And correct, they are in Victoria from 9am-5pm.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

Any Alaska itinerary that skips Ketchikan in favor of Victoria is a really poor option IMHO.

Not to mention that you sail in open ocean for so much time out of Seattle to begin with.

In the case of the Explorer you don't get Hubbard Glacier either :(

Being a heavy RCL supporter, it pains me to say I feel that EX (any Voyager Class) is a horrible ship for Alaska.

This is just my 2 cents:

• 3000+ passengers but no indoor Solarium... where do 3000+ passengers go when driving rain/cold?
  • No outdoor views when in Promanade/lounge/Schooner Bar/StudioB/you name it.
  • Voyager Class is an inward focus ship, awesome for warmer climates, with superb open top deck for summer weather, great open air sports deck with Florider, open air Solarium, etc. EX is not a cold weather ship.
  • For more Alaskan experience, I'd pick Ketchikan over Victoria, a great port and one of my favorite excursions ever was there (Aleutian Ballad, "Dangerous Catches")
  • EX cannot embark/debark in Vancouver, one of the most beautiful cities and ports in the world (yes I'm biased :p)
  • EX does not do the inside passage through British Columbia

Because of the possibility of over 3000 passengers all crammed together spending full days in the Promenade and other interior spaces of this ship on bad weather days, I feel that balcony staterooms will sell with a very high price tag, whereas interior rooms will end up weekly on the Going Going Gone sales at very cheap prices.

Those that have read any of my posts on CC know that I love Voyager Class and truthfully Radiance Class is at the bottom of my list, but for Alaska Radiance Class is the way to go.... until RCL smartens up and sends a Quantum Class (this would change everything, and they would sell out Q Class at premium pricing imho).

Again, just my 2 cents :)

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise! :D

Being a heavy RCL supporter, it pains me to say I feel that EX (any Voyager Class) is a horrible ship for Alaska.

This is just my 2 cents:

•  
  • 3000+ passengers but no indoor Solarium... where do 3000+ passengers go when driving rain/cold?

• No outdoor views when in Promanade/lounge/Schooner Bar/StudioB/you name it.

• Voyager Class is an inward focus ship, awesome for warmer climates, with superb open top deck for summer weather, great open air sports deck with Florider, open air Solarium, etc. EX is not a cold weather ship.

• For more Alaskan experience, I'd pick Ketchikan over Victoria, a great port and one of my favorite excursions ever was there (Aleutian Ballad, "Dangerous Catches")

• EX cannot embark/debark in Vancouver, one of the most beautiful cities and ports in the world (yes I'm biased :p)

• EX does not do the inside passage through British Columbia

Because of the possibility of over 3000 passengers all crammed together spending full days in the Promenade and other interior spaces of this ship on bad weather days, I feel that balcony staterooms will sell with a very high price tag, whereas interior rooms will end up weekly on the Going Going Gone sales at very cheap prices.

Those that have read any of my posts on CC know that I love Voyager Class and truthfully Radiance Class is at the bottom of my list, but for Alaska Radiance Class is the way to go.... until RCL smartens up and sends a Quantum Class (this would change everything, and they would sell out Q Class at premium pricing imho).

Again, just my 2 cents :)

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise! :D

Although we loved Victoria, must agree with the above regarding the Voyager class. We did Alaska on Radiance which was awesome and have since done Voyager to NZ. We so missed not being able to use the solarium as we had very inclement weather and onboard activities were so very limited if you didn't want to play trivia. I would look carefully at the layout of the ship for this kind of cruise.