New NCL Menus...

sid_9169

These look pretty good, I'm just a little sad that they have taken lasagne off the everyday menu. There are items that my kids will eat on all of these menus without having to resort to kids menus, but they will all eat lasagne anytime and I never make it at home so I was looking forward to them being able to fill up on it while we were on vacation.

My kids liked the spaghetti bolognese on the old menu. There are fewer things they would eat on these new menus. The kids menu was poor.

Thank you Sid and thank you Gambee!

This all looks good to me. I am one who has not yet ever eaten in an upcharge restaurant on a ship, and I dont rule it out, but so far have not found the need to. Looking forward to trying some of these foods.:)

I don't know if that particular item was already on the previous menu, but a more charitable way to look at it is that they are trying to offer a different take on the traditional caprese.

They need to make up their mind between carpaccio (thin slices) and tartare (chopped up fresh tomatoes). I assume that both of these things are easy to understand for American English speakers, but which is it?

I have no idea what they mean by "cream of mozzarella". I tend to have the same reaction as luvtheships, it does not sound appetizing, but who knows?

Creamed mozzarella is called Barrata. The outside is mozzarella and the inside is filled with soft creamy curds. When you cut into this small ball the inside is soft and creamy. Very relish with tomatoes and some crusty bread.

Creamed mozzarella is called Barrata.
The phrasing in the menu is "cream of fresh mozzarella", which sounds like maybe the inside of a burrata, but it could also be some mozzarella-based sauce as luvtheships feared. It was suggested above that NCL has to "dumb down" the language on their menus, but I don't particularly find this to be the case. If they were really serving burrata, I think they would have written "burrata".

Hopefully someone on Escape will order this and post a photo. I would be very pleasantly surprised if they were somehow able to serve fresh burrata in the MDR.

While it doesnt look terrible at first glance and it will be interesting to try out

Just realize that all or at least most of the names they have pulled out of thin air for these new dishes just hide the fact that you are definitely going to get less food and cheaper food

Creamed mozzarella? Really

Ok so they now take a minuscule piece of mozzarella and blend it with more milk so they can pour it over chopped tomatoes?

Really I prefer a real slice of mozzarella and a nice slice of beefsteak tomato with oil drizzled over it but by doing it the new way they can feed 4 people with the nice slice of mozzarella and thick slice of tomato that I prefer all to myself. lol

Presentation will look nice I'm sure and the vast majority of cruisers will be impressed...me probably too....

But please don't kid yourself....it's just cheaper food...less food prepared in a way to stretch it ....and reuse it the next day

Enjoy it but please it's not fine dining. It's just dressing up cheap food in a way to fool you.

Sorry but true but it will impress the novices

The food on NCL is now costing more not less and you are definitely getting better quality..

Jancruz1

Looks ok, I noticed they did away with the everyday available steak but the chef's special was a form of beef every night but one.

Still disappointed prime rib is only if you pay extra. Maybe they will still have a smaller cut in O'sheens one night.

I just realized "Steak Frites" means "steak and fries". So "some form of steak" will be available. I guess it sounds more upscale if you say fries in French. Or maybe it's a shorter way of saying "French Fries"

Sorry Steak Frites mean large french fries..

Jancruz1

According to the menu, this dish does not have the garlic butter sauce that is nice to dip bread into. It is not the same recipe as has been on the menu in the past.
You're right, it's snails cooked in mushroom sauce and served in a puff pastry shell. It was already on the previous menus we saw this past summer.

They did have a "Scallops Gratin" appetizer on the lunch menu which was small scallops served escargot-style in lots of garlic butter in the ceramic plate with holes… We haven't seen the new lunch menus, so hopefully that dish is still being offered!

Sorry Steak Frites mean large french fries..

Jancruz1

No, it's the French/Belgium wording of Steak with fries (Steak frites), not the other wording of a verison of French fries (steak fries aka potato wedges).

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

No, it's the French/Belgium wording of Steak with fries (Steak frites), not the other wording of a verison of French fries (steak fries aka potato wedges).

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You are correct however I think NCL is using it for Steak Fries LOL

These look pretty good, I'm just a little sad that they have taken lasagne off the everyday menu. There are items that my kids will eat on all of these menus without having to resort to kids menus, but they will all eat lasagne anytime and I never make it at home so I was looking forward to them being able to fill up on it while we were on vacation.

I agree, I will also miss the lasagna. This was the only vegetarian item on the Classic Favorites menu and it was what I ordered when the other vegetarian selection didn't look good to me.

Mmm, fried steak, why aren't they charging extra for that??? :p

As Jane Don and maywell explained above, "steak frites" means steak (of unspecified cut/quality/preparation) and fries. It is the kind of shorthand you would find in a cheaper French restaurant — I would describe it as "lunch counter language" if lunch counters were still a thing — and the fact that they don't bother identifying the meat or how they prepare it means that it is probably nothing to be proud of. And they want to give themselves the option of serving you whatever they happen to have on board.

Edited by hawkeyetlse