single parent of a toddler & dining

ziggyS1StefZoe

It will work just fine! You go to the dining room, you're seated, and served! No different than anyplace else! I would recommend the dining room over the buffet, just for the ease of being served. At the buffet, you'll be juggling baby and food...not much fun!

You can choose how you'd like it to work. I prefer to sit alone with my kids a) because I don't see enough of them at home and b) because I know most people don't want to sit with little ones. We really enjoy our unhurried meals in the dining room on cruises. You could also visit the dining room on embarkation and let them know you'd like to be seated at a larger table with other families if possible.

We also eat breakfasts and lunches in the dining room and just request a table of our own. At that age I would request a booth and a booster seat when possible and sit next to your child "blocking" them in. Bring a new little amusement each night.

I find buffets to be a chore. Being served is the way to go!

Have a great time.

Best,

Mia

I would definitely go to the dining room as much as possible, but if the kids aren't cooperating there's always room service. And for me, personally, baby wearing is a life saver if we are on our own! My toddler is content and my hands are free to get a tray at the lido deck or do anything else :)

I have cruised several times alone with my child, and for me, the buffet was the way to go. We did the dining room a few times and sat by ourselves, but it was very stressful as I did not want him to be disruptive to other diners. Even now, at almost 5, we choose the buffet most times over the dining room as it is just what works for us (he is not good at sitting still for a long time). You did not say how old your child was or what cruise line you are choosing. I would wait until they are old enough to go to the kid's club so you can have some down time.

Dining alone with a toddler on a cruise is no different that dining at a restaurant on land. I sailed with my 2 year old previously (as a single parent) it really was not a problem. Since my daughter is on a bedtime schedule, I would opt for the earlier dinner time; there is nothing worse than having a sleepy toddler meltdown in a restaurant. Pack a few small toys that the toddler can enjoy during dinner. Order your entire meal at once, so that the child does not have to endure a 3 course dinner serving. For example when our waiter came to the table I would order appetizers, entrées and dessert. This ensured there was no long wait in between courses.

• 3 weeks later...

Which line? On Royal I would drop him off at the nursery some nights and get some adult time then. As a single parent I know it is hard to let them out of your sight, but it will do you some good to get some fresh air at a scheduled time every night.

I think the answer is that it depends on your toddler. What age and type of child is he/she? To me, a toddler is early walking (about 12 m of age until 24 m) pre-understandable English to anyone but mom or dad. At 2 I consider them pre-schoolers - but others may consider up to 4 or 5 a toddler. Can he/she sit through a restaurant dinner out? Do they know indoor vs outdoor voice and are they likely to scream inappropriately? Will they sit in a chair or booster seat politely. All kids are different and develop differently.

IF you child can set through a dinner out, then I highly recommend taking advantage of the dining room for as many meals as possible. But realize dinner is going to be an hour, minimum. The advantage is not only as others have said about being waited on, but its more. A fixed dining time (pick early) allows the wait staff to interact with your child and tailor their service to your needs. For example, on night 1 I requested milk be ready, as well as a fruit plate. This gave my kids something healthy to drink and snack on rather than filling up on bread. They always had matchbox cars, coloring supplies, books etc to stay occupied and it was never an issue - at home or at sea.

If your child has not matured, the the flexibility of the buffet is the way to go. It is going to mean more work for you, but you won't be worried about a meltdown or disturbing other passengers, and thus more relaxing in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to the main dining room, here's a tip on ordering food. You can request that multiple courses be brought at once so you don't have to wait on subsequent courses. For example, if you order an appetizer, soup, and main course, ask to have all 3 brought out at once so you can eat at your own pace instead of waiting.

I'd suggest leaving the dessert to come out separately at the end of the meal so your kid isn't salivating over the brownies or whatever when you're trying to get them to eat something moderately healthy.