Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

Tanyaheart,

We're on the 12/26 Jade out of Houston and I was curious about the Wifi - specifically, how reliable was it? Did they offer any specials on the Wifi once you were on the ship?

Trying to figure out whether we should splurge on a Wifi package (there's a chance my wife may have to do some work on our sea days).

Mac

We did not use Wifi on the Houston 12-5-15 cruise, but we did use it a lot on the TA crossing. It worked well and we were out in the middle of no where.

We didn’t think it was worth the cost for a short 7 day cruise, but if your wife has to work, well, that is a different story. I think she will find that it is pretty good.

We used ours in our cabin and were able to connect fairly quickly.

Hope this helps. Murray (Internet Manager) is awesome. Tell him Judy (with the candy) says hello.

Make sure he puts a “Log In” and “Log Out” icon on your desk top.

This makes signing in and out much easier and faster.

Judy

So, it is currently 9:38 am Central time and the Jade is not yet anchored near Belize City, though they are almost there. Does this mean that "ship time" is *not* Central time, despite leaving from Houston? Or does it mean they are running late today?

Was on the 12-12 sailing. Fun cruise with our two wee ones (almost 3 and almost 5). The elder of the two loved Splash and the little guy was jealous that he was a couple of months shy of being able to go. Ate EVERY meal in the buffet as it's just easier with the kids... always very crowded. Lots of adults taking up space in the kids zone of the buffet which then pushed families into the regular sections with child seats making access more tricky at times.

Lots of food options so nobody starved.

We've traveled extensively on NCL and been on the Jade three times now. She was filthy on this sailing for some reason - common areas constantly littered. Easy to see the result of the unlimited drinks package around the clock. Lots of unruly behavior.

We decided to try a mid-ship balcony cabin after exclusively sailing in suites in the past. We found it remarkably functional - especially with the roof pop-out bunk and our elder child being old enough to safely use it. We had perhaps our least effective cabin steward ever but he got the basics right for the most part.

We did a taxi to Mr Sancho a la carte side in Cozumel - $18 US cab fare each way and we ate and drank off their menu (not big drinkers so our tab was WAY cheaper going a la carte than the AI option for the day). Fun beach day with the kids.

Didn't bother getting off the ship in Belize - have been before. Had a fun ship's pool day with the kiddos. As I recall open tendering was announced around 11:30 am there but don't quote me.

In Roatan the ship docked for about 30 minutes around 7am to allow early walk offs and then made way for the Dawn but tendering was very efficient and very short with lifeboats. We grabbed a cab to Little French Key after "negotiating" at the tourist booths. Paid too much but didn't care to haggle too hard as they clearly need it more than we do. Paid $50 return for the cab and had an official "tour guide" hop in with us as we drove away and introduced herself as our English speaking tour guide who worked only for her tips. We could have just asked her to leave off the start but didn't. She added very little to the experience but we chatted about the area during the ride to the LFK ferry (okay barge). We'd been told it was $10 to access the Key but we were charged $20 for each adult and $10 for the elder child (the little dude was free) "because we arranged our own tour". Whatever - another tourist trap but just shrugged it off. Had a great day on the island splashing in the coves and eating and drinking a la carte (again a way cheaper option for us). Our "tour guide" waiting on the mainland side for us after we barged back across after about three hours to meet our driver at the prearranged time. I assume you could have booked something with a private operator that would have been a bit more efficient and maybe even for a little less $$$ but with the two little ones we never know when we'll be ready to get off the ship or want to return so the flexibility was important for us. We "tipped" our tour guide about $20 (more of an economic donation than anything) and paid our driver with a bit extra once back at the port. There was a long line for the tenders but it went very efficiently and I bought some hand-rolled cigars from a cigar cart while in line - haven't tried one yet so can't comment on the quality. LFK was the highlight of our cruise.

For those wanting to do something on debark day - we took a ~$40 cab ride from the ship to a budget rental car agency in Webster not far from I-45 north of Galveston and rented an SUV for the day - we had lived in Houston previously so we made it an outlet shopping day but this is an economical way of DIY in Houston and there was no extra charge to drop the car at IAH unlike with Enterprise (which is closer to the port).

Can't say I'd be eager to cruise out of the Port of Houston again - hard to get to and nothing really around it (although I work in oil and gas so the big refineries and chemical plants are interesting to look at).

As a side note - GREAT experience at the IAH Marriott. The hotel is basic but the night valet was the best we've experienced anywhere in the world. We checked in around 11pm with loads of luggage and exhausted kids. Not only did he get all our stuff to our room promptly - he followed me back to the rental car drop (with a refuel stop on the way) and waited while I dropped the car to bring me back in the hotel shuttle van. He was then at our door at 4:30 am to reverse the process and instead of just helping us to the IAH tram he loaded us all back in the shuttle and took us right to check in at Gate A - made our evening and morning SO much easier than we had expected.

Was on the 12-12 sailing. Fun cruise with our two wee ones (almost 3 and almost 5). The elder of the two loved Splash and the little guy was jealous that he was a couple of months shy of being able to go. Ate EVERY meal in the buffet as it's just easier with the kids... always very crowded. Lots of adults taking up space in the kids zone of the buffet which then pushed families into the regular sections with child seats making access more tricky at times.

We've traveled extensively on NCL and been on the Jade three times now. She was filthy on this sailing for some reason - common areas constantly littered. Easy to see the result of the unlimited drinks package around the clock. Lots of unruly behavior.

We decided to try a mid-ship balcony cabin after exclusively sailing in suites in the past. We found it remarkably functional - especially with the roof pop-out bunk and our elder child being old enough to safely use it. We had perhaps our least effective cabin steward ever but he got the basics right for the most part.

We did a taxi to Mr Sancho a la carte side in Cozumel - $18 US cab fare each way and we ate and drank off their menu (not big drinkers so our tab was WAY cheaper going a la carte than the AI option for the day). Fun beach day with the kids.

Didn't bother getting off the ship in Belize - have been before. Had a fun ship's pool day with the kiddos. As I recall open tendering was announced around 11:30 am there but don't quote me.

In Roatan the ship docked for about 30 minutes around 7am to allow early walk offs and then made way for the Dawn but tendering was very efficient and very short with lifeboats. We grabbed a cab to Little French Key after "negotiating" at the tourist booths. Paid too much but didn't care to haggle too hard as they clearly need it more than we do. Paid $50 return for the cab and had an official "tour guide" hop in with us as we drove away and introduced herself as our English speaking tour guide who worked only for her tips. We could have just asked her to leave off the start but didn't. She added very little to the experience but we chatted about the area during the ride to the LFK ferry (okay barge). We'd been told it was $10 to access the Key but we were charged $20 for each adult and $10 for the elder child (the little dude was free) "because we arranged our own tour". Whatever - another tourist trap but just shrugged it off. Had a great day on the island splashing in the coves and eating and drinking a la carte (again a way cheaper option for us). Our "tour guide" waiting on the mainland side for us after we barged back across after about three hours to meet our driver at the prearranged time. I assume you could have booked something with a private operator that would have been a bit more efficient and maybe even for a little less $$$ but with the two little ones we never know when we'll be ready to get off the ship or want to return so the flexibility was important for us. We "tipped" our tour guide about $20 (more of an economic donation than anything) and paid our driver with a bit extra once back at the port. There was a long line for the tenders but it went very efficiently and I bought some hand-rolled cigars from a cigar cart while in line - haven't tried one yet so can't comment on the quality. LFK was the highlight of our cruise.

For those wanting to do something on debark day - we took a ~$40 cab ride from the ship to a budget rental car agency in Webster not far from I-45 north of Galveston and rented an SUV for the day - we had lived in Houston previously so we made it an outlet shopping day but this is an economical way of DIY in Houston and there was no extra charge to drop the car at IAH unlike with Enterprise (which is closer to the port).

Can't say I'd be eager to cruise out of the Port of Houston again - hard to get to and nothing really around it (although I work in oil and gas so the big refineries and chemical plants are interesting to look at).

As a side note - GREAT experience at the IAH Marriott. The hotel is basic but the night valet was the best we've experienced anywhere in the world. We checked in around 11pm with loads of luggage and exhausted kids. Not only did he get all our stuff to our room promptly - he followed me back to the rental car drop (with a refuel stop on the way) and waited while I dropped the car to bring me back in the hotel shuttle van. He was then at our door at 4:30 am to reverse the process and instead of just helping us to the IAH tram he loaded us all back in the shuttle and took us right to check in at Gate A - made our evening and morning SO much easier than we had expected.

We will be in a Jade mid-ship balcony in March. Was wondering if the roof pop out bunk was over the sofa or master bed? Our boys are 9 and 14 and we are worried about space!!

NCL

Star 2013

Sky 2015

Jade 2016

I am so glad that you went to Little French Key! We vacation in Roatan in the winter and we love LFK! It is one of our favorite places to go.

You probably didn’t pay too much except for the LFK access. I seem to remember $10, like you were told.

The cab was a little high. They have posted rates that can be found online. If you know these numbers, you will save some there.

Since you had 2 little ones, I think you did well.

Always better safe than sorry when it comes to our little ones!

Since I am from Houston, I’m glad you like the Marriott and Budget.

You saved a lot by not using Enterprise.

Judy

There's still no 1 way rental from IAH to the port right? We're landing in IAH the day before and renting a car to visit family. I'll most likely have to drop the car back at IAH and then take a cab to the port. It would have been great to get a 1 way but Enterprise was close to $200 I think.

I think I'll be doing the Maya Key AI through NCL at Roatan and booking a private tour of Cozumel via a tour site. Thanks for the info!

There's still no 1 way rental from IAH to the port right? We're landing in IAH the day before and renting a car to visit family. I'll most likely have to drop the car back at IAH and then take a cab to the port. It would have been great to get a 1 way but Enterprise was close to $200 I think.

I think I'll be doing the Maya Key AI through NCL at Roatan and booking a private tour of Cozumel via a tour site. Thanks for the info!

Try Budget.

I just read that they do not charge “one way” for renting near the port and dropping at IAH.

It is further than Enterprise, but much, much closer than the airport.

Judy

Tanyaheart,

We're on the 12/26 Jade out of Houston and I was curious about the Wifi - specifically, how reliable was it? Did they offer any specials on the Wifi once you were on the ship?

Trying to figure out whether we should splurge on a Wifi package (there's a chance my wife may have to do some work on our sea days).

Mac

I would use wifi while in port and not on ship. That's how I kept up with work.

So, it is currently 9:38 am Central time and the Jade is not yet anchored near Belize City, though they are almost there. Does this mean that "ship time" is *not* Central time, despite leaving from Houston? Or does it mean they are running late today?

Always use ship time. You have to set clocks forward an hour and then back after Belize.

Ok, now I'm really confused.

We sail at 4pm Central time from Houston on Saturday.

Then we move forward to Eastern time when we arrive in Cozumel on Monday morning.

So the itinerary says we dock from 10-6, but they actually mean 9 am to 5 pm Cental?

Then what?

Ok, now I'm really confused.

We sail at 4pm Central time from Houston on Saturday.

Then we move forward to Eastern time when we arrive in Cozumel on Monday morning.

So the itinerary says we dock from 10-6, but they actually mean 9 am to 5 pm Cental?

Then what?

Ditto on the confusion. Ive never had to change times while on a cruise. Another new experience for me to add.

We will be in a Jade mid-ship balcony in March. Was wondering if the roof pop out bunk was over the sofa or master bed? Our boys are 9 and 14 and we are worried about space!!

NCL

Star 2013

Sky 2015

Jade 2016

Over the pull out sofa, which, when open, is only an inch or so from the edge of the master bed. They squeeze a ladder between the two for bunk access. Very difficult (although not impossible) to access the balcony with the bunk down.

Book with budget for pickup at IAH and drop off at Webster. Its a ~$40 taxi instead of ~$120 to the ship.

Tanyaheart,

Mac

We used our pick one option on a package so unsure about specials but usually there's 10 minutes free for buying on the first day or something like that.

It was about as reliable as you can expect for a roving sat connection but this also makes it SLOW. Don't expect to do anything regarding major bandwidth but reasonably effective for email and basic web searches.

Unless you really need it find a wireless hotspot at ports to get done what you need to do. There's s Starbucks for example right off the ship in Cozumel.

Ditto on the confusion. Ive never had to change times while on a cruise. Another new experience for me to add.

You will move clocks forward and then back. Stay on ship time! My friend had to fly a man and his son from Belize to Roatan after they missed the ship.

Hi everyone. In March will be our first time sailing out of Houston, and first time on NCL.

Is there a convenience store in Houston's ship port?

Water can be carried on board?

How much wine per person is allowed to be brought onboard?

How does NCL handle suite guests? We have booked a Haven Family suite, and are wondering the best time to arrive at the port? (will be driving from Dallas that morning) We'd rather get to the port when we will be able to go right on board to get comfy.

Will luggage tags be mailed to me? (suite)

Am hoping Harvest Caye is open and running smooth by the end of March!

Any other info that may help this go seamless would be appreciated! Love reading all of your comments and reviews.

Thank you!

Hi everyone. In March will be our first time sailing out of Houston, and first time on NCL.

Is there a convenience store in Houston's ship port?

Water can be carried on board?

How much wine per person is allowed to be brought onboard?

How does NCL handle suite guests? We have booked a Haven Family suite, and are wondering the best time to arrive at the port? (will be driving from Dallas that morning) We'd rather get to the port when we will be able to go right on board to get comfy.

Will luggage tags be mailed to me? (suite)

Am hoping Harvest Caye is open and running smooth by the end of March!

Any other info that may help this go seamless would be appreciated! Love reading all of your comments and reviews.

Thank you!

We boarded the Jade today and I can answer a few of these questions and have one of my own!

No convenience store in the port or close. Take care of any needs in Houston.

Luggage tags were emailed to us, but we are not suite guests.

I think the limit is two bottles of wine per stateroom.

When will we be charged a corkage fee? We weren't charged upon embarkation. If we consume it in a restaurant, will we be charged then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk