Question regarding Sydney Transfers with an Infant

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I did a search and it came up blank ...

We are flying to Sydney for a cruise in a few weeks and we are travelling with an infant (he will be 11 months). We need transfers from

1) the airport to city hotel,

2) city hotel to white bay, and

3) OPT to airport

... all with a baby seat (a legal requirement for car travel in NSW as I understand it) and preferably a minivan (due to the expedition-style volume of luggage travelling with an infant entails, ha ha ha!).

I have asked for a couple of quotes online and I'm horrified at the cost ($100-$120 for each trip!!).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced option? Has anyone booked a taxi for this purpose and had it turn up on time and with the baby seat? (We did this in Hobart last month and the taxi did not have a carseat when it turned up. By the time we ordered a second taxi we ran very close to missing check in for our flight!)

Alternatively, has anyone used the city/hotel shuttle from the airport with lots of luggage and an infant?

Any advice you wonderful people can offer would be great.

Cheers,

Hi

we are in the business and these seem average prices. Depending on how many of you are traveling you may need 2 taxis approx cost of a taxi to rhe city is $40 maxi taxi and some station wagon taxis carry baby seats but not all and also have a premium added to the cost. A booked mini van will be waiting for you at the airport and the opt and turn up on time at your hotel with baby seat as requested

Cruise love

It seems that your quotes are for private transfers. The prices you were quoted are in line with what we have paid in the past in various cities.

With an infant and a lot of luggage I would not try for a taxi and would book private transfers for each leg. It may be a be a bit more expensive but at least you will know you have your transport sorted and it will be once less thing to worry about.

Edited by Aussieflyer

we will be arriving in Sydney with 4 adults and a nearly 2 year old in January and plan to get a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. the Sydney airport website says that the kerbside supervisor can organise the vehicle you need i.e. baby capsule, wheelchair accessible etc so we are just going to do that, may have to wait a bit but we are prepared to do that rather than book the expensive ship transfer or pre-book options

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/by-taxi.aspx

we will be arriving in Sydney with 4 adults and a nearly 2 year old in January and plan to get a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. the Sydney airport website says that the kerbside supervisor can organise the vehicle you need i.e. baby capsule, wheelchair accessible etc so we are just going to do that, may have to wait a bit but we are prepared to do that rather than book the expensive ship transfer or pre-book options

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/by-taxi.aspx

Thanks for that info re: the kerbside supervisor. We won't be in a great hurry as we are flying in the afternoon before. I figured I could get a taxi from the hotel to White Bay by asking the hotel concierge to book us a taxi with car seat. Now I just need to work out what to do for the final leg (OPT to airport).

Hi

we are in the business and these seem average prices. Depending on how many of you are traveling you may need 2 taxis approx cost of a taxi to rhe city is $40 maxi taxi and some station wagon taxis carry baby seats but not all and also have a premium added to the cost. A booked mini van will be waiting for you at the airport and the opt and turn up on time at your hotel with baby seat as requested

Cruise love

Thanks cruise love. In the past a taxi has cost us around $50-$60, so I was just surprised that the private transfers would be double that. But if that is the going rate, then that is the going rate. We won't have an unusually huge amount of luggage to/from the airport (probably 3 suitcases, 2 carry ons, plus a stroller) so a wagon or would probably be fine. It will be the trip from the hotel to White Bay that we will have the extra luggage and need a maxi taxi (I was planning on buying all the nappies/formula/baby bottles/snacks he will need for the cruise once we arrive in Sydney, so we will have a few extra boxes/bags to transport).

If your luggage will be more manageable by the time you get off the ship, the train from Circular Quay to the airport might be your most convenient option. It's about $16pp, I'm not 100% sure but assume an infant is free.

Once at the airport you have a very short trip up the escalator and through the gate before you can grab a trolley.

If your luggage will be more manageable by the time you get off the ship, the train from Circular Quay to the airport might be your most convenient option. It's about $16pp, I'm not 100% sure but assume an infant is free.

Once at the airport you have a very short trip up the escalator and through the gate before you can grab a trolley.

I travel with a young child - the train would be impossible! 3 bags + carry ons, even with 2 adults and the child in the stroller, very difficult.

We normally book a private transfer through Sydney Limousines. A bit more expensive, they will probably do a better rate if you book all your trips through them. They have car seats (need to pre-book it). The last 2 we booked were luxury 4wd vehicles with plenty of room for our bags. The driver will load and unload luggage, leaving you free to watch/hold your child. They will pick you up right at the airport terminal and drop you to hotel. On the return trip, they call you and tell you the number plate of the vehicle you need to look out for, just get off the ship and wave at the driver with the correct number plate and he stops. Sure, it's a bit more $$, but stress free, door to door, with a car seat and no queuing for a taxi - we gladly pay it for the peace of mind! Our last driver even kept our son amused with songs and sweets!

Ah yes, I didn't see the bit about 3 suitcases. My first tip would therefore be - pack less!

I've travelled a lot, including with young children, and my no.1 rule of thumb is 'don't take more luggage than you can manage yourself'. That means a maximum of two suitcases, 1 per adult, and cabin bags must be shoulder or backpack style so can be carried hands free.

I accept the train was a silly idea with the amount of luggage the OP is talking about, sorry bout that.

Ha ha ha , I'm a shocking packer normally, but I am still carrying too much baby weight and most of my clothes don't fit, so there is no point in packing them ;). I should do a bit better this time ...

Unfortunately, with an infant on formula there is a minimum amount we need to bring. One suitcase will be just for baby supplies! Nappies, bottles, cleaning supplies for said bottles, formula (3 tins for this trip alone), baby food/snacks, basic medications (the infirmary may cater well to adults, but probably won't have infant panadol/nurofen/phenergen if we need it). We have done a few trips with him now and we always have one suitcase full of "supplies". This will be especially important 1000km+ out to sea :) The limousine sounds like a nice idea, though :D