Emerald Princess for Father/Son Cruise

flannbarr

I am looking to possibly take a 4 night cruise in February 2016. It would just be a trip with my almost 14 year old son as this is our new February tradition--a few days away with just dad.

I am looking at the Carnival Victory and the Emerald Princess.

The Victory reviews have not been very good of late and the on-ship activities look rather limited so I am getting a little scared off.

So I looked for other cruise lines that sail from Florida around 2/11/16 or 2/12/16 and I found the Emerald Princess. We like Princess and have sailed Princess several times including an upcoming 12 night British Isles cruise next June.

The Emerald Princess ship looks great. The itinerary only includes 1 port which is Grand Turk. If I recall previous stops at Grand Turk, the beach area is very, very rocky and there is a Margaritaville at the port. Otherwise, it is 2 days at sea. I am not sure what else my 14 year old would like in Grand Turk because we have never strayed far from port there but I can easily research it.

As usual, Emerald Princess is more expensive than Carnival but that is OK.

Please give me your thoughts to help me decide.

I am looking to possibly take a 4 night cruise in February 2016. It would just be a trip with my almost 14 year old son as this is our new February tradition--a few days away with just dad.

I am looking at the Carnival Victory and the Emerald Princess.

The Victory reviews have not been very good of late and the on-ship activities look rather limited so I am getting a little scared off.

So I looked for other cruise lines that sail from Florida around 2/11/16 or 2/12/16 and I found the Emerald Princess. We like Princess and have sailed Princess several times including an upcoming 12 night British Isles cruise next June.

The Emerald Princess ship looks great. The itinerary only includes 1 port which is Grand Turk. If I recall previous stops at Grand Turk, the beach area is very, very rocky and there is a Margaritaville at the port. Otherwise, it is 2 days at sea. I am not sure what else my 14 year old would like in Grand Turk because we have never strayed far from port there but I can easily research it.

As usual, Emerald Princess is more expensive than Carnival but that is OK.

Please give me your thoughts to help me decide.

The beach is not rocky at all. Unless you go way (mile or so) past the dock area.

To see what to do in Grand Turk, you can browse through what kind of excursions each line offers via their WEB sites or visit the port of call here on CC.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=385

The beach is not rocky at all. Unless you go way (mile or so) past the dock area.

To see what to do in Grand Turk, you can browse through what kind of excursions each line offers via their WEB sites or visit the port of call here on CC.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=385

Sorry I meant to say that the water at the beach was very rocky.

We did an excursion in Grand Turk through Princess (it is also offered privately) that any 14 year old would love (and so did 2 60-somethings!): power snorkeling. We took a very short boat ride off the beach to the reef and jumped in and explored the wonderful marine wildlife and the breathtaking 7,000 ft. drop- off known as 'the Wall'. We then snorkeled back to the beach. Very good snorkeling and the power snorkel is lots of fun.