11 Months Later--Not the Same Cruise we Booked

AZ ParrotHead

I am sick of hearing that also. Yes, changes happen but not as many or as fast as the ones FDR has done since taking over NCL. How people are ok with all these up charges and down grades, I'll never understand.

I'm fine with it, then again my wife and I booked our cruise on the Escape for February about 10 months ago. We have the beverage package. Today is almost $800 more, you don't hear here me crying

We also booked our upcoming cruise on the Getaway last January, and too, have seen a few changes that will affect my family:

1- DSC has increased twice from $12 to $13.50: $1.50 x 7 x 4 people = $42- (Not so much a problem, as we will pre-pay about 2 weeks in advance to get the $12 rate back.)

2- fireworks discontinued (We ARE bummed about this, as we will be in our first balcony cabin, and chose port side so we could watch the fireworks from our balcony).

3- gratuities added to UBP (Not a problem, as NCL did honor our booking rate of gratuities included in the free UBP promo)

4- no mozzarella sticks??? (slight disappointment from my two young teens, but I am sure they will find a replacement snack).

5- increase gratuities as specialty restaurants (We only plan to eat at one once, so the impact will be minimum).

All in all, I cannot really complain as we got an unbelievable rate on the Getaway (kids sail free), free UBP (without gratuity charge) for 2 adults, free soda package for 2 teens, and $75 OBC from NCL. The same ship comparable cruise a year later (January 2017) over $1000 more if booked today. And, even much more if you consider the current changes and future changes frequently imposed by NCL. I doubt our cruise the following year will be with NCL, but I am not going to exclude them from the running.

. Where I have trouble is the new management disregard for not only their passengers but their own staff. Most of the customer service staff also was caught by surprise when NCL decided to reposition all of those ships at the same time this summer. And THEN they had the nerve to restrict what passengers could do in terms of rescheduling. I took what was shoved down my throat but I probably will cancel.

To me, THAT clearly is a case of "not the cruise I booked."

I had forgotten about all the cancelled cruises this summer without notice. That's like moving your hotel to a whole different area. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Edited by AZ ParrotHead

I think that the "things changes, so you shouldn't care" argument is a bit faulty, and is a dressed up version of "this doesn't affect me, so I don't care." By saying "things change," thus, you're ok with the instant changes, you're implying that because "things change," you'd be ok with ANY changes, which I simply do not believe. If they upped the DSC to $25 per person, or the grats for specialty dining or drinks to 50% or started charging for entertainment, I feel that may people would be upset, notwithstanding the fact that "things change."

Good point. To me NCL (and the other lines) are actively testing the waters to see what charges can be absorbed by the market. 2015 is the test year for the next "5 year plan" so those of us who booked ended up on a roller coaster ride of up-charges, policy changes (and some reversals) and poor communication from the cruise line.

We also booked our upcoming cruise on the Getaway last January, and too, have seen a few changes that will affect my family:

1- DSC has increased twice from $12 to $13.50: $1.50 x 7 x 4 people = $42- (Not so much a problem, as we will pre-pay about 2 weeks in advance to get the $12 rate back.)

2- fireworks discontinued (We ARE bummed about this, as we will be in our first balcony cabin, and chose port side so we could watch the fireworks from our balcony).

3- gratuities added to UBP (Not a problem, as NCL did honor our booking rate of gratuities included in the free UBP promo)

4- no mozzarella sticks??? (slight disappointment from my two young teens, but I am sure they will find a replacement snack).

5- increase gratuities as specialty restaurants (We only plan to eat at one once, so the impact will be minimum).

All in all, I cannot really complain as we got an unbelievable rate on the Getaway (kids sail free), free UBP (without gratuity charge) for 2 adults, free soda package for 2 teens, and $75 OBC from NCL. The same ship comparable cruise a year later (January 2017) over $1000 more if booked today. And, even much more if you consider the current changes and future changes frequently imposed by NCL. I doubt our cruise the following year will be with NCL, but I am not going to exclude them from the running.

Thanks for your comments. You may want to check on the tips as I believe (if memory serves) that the DSC must be paid before final payment in order to lock in the old rate.

We booked our May 2016 cruise last June. I never expected everything to be exactly as it was in June of 2015 when I step on board May 2016. Nor do I expect everything in June 2016 to be just like it was on my last cruise in March of 2015. Sorry, I am solidly in the “things change…roll with it” camp.

IMO, sometimes these boards create crisis. We are all in planning mode and let each little thing that we learn be a nail in the coffin of our wonderful vacation. If we just waited until we were on board, we would look at everything differently. Would I even notice there weren’t mozzarella sticks on menu if I was looking at a menu full of stuff they did have? Would I realize it was fleet wide and not just something that day or that cruise or that ship? Would I care????

Cruising is different than other industries in that it allows you to book well in advance of the departure date. Most hotels and airlines don’t let you book a year in advance. If I booked a hotel in advance because someone said in a review that the scones at the breakfast buffet were “to die for” could I complain if when I stayed there they served muffins?

Paying an upcharge for room service the one day we need to order it, throwing some extra money to the staff for DSC and changing menus are NOT changing the NCL brand. It is still about freestyle cruising to me: choosing how I dress, eating when and where I want, and being entertained by quality performers, all while being taken care of by some of the friendliest most helpful staff I have ever encountered anywhere.

The only policy change that I think comes close to changing the brand is trying to encourage me to book my dinner venue and time in advance. I have chosen to take my umbrage and channel it into completely ignoring the reserve in advance system. If I have to dine at 9:00 pm in order to get into my favorite specialty restaurant, I’ll just take that as a sign that “first dinner” is not indulgent; it is a ship sponsored solution.

Thanks for your comments. You may want to check on the tips as I believe (if memory serves) that the DSC must be paid before final payment in order to lock in the old rate.

I had recalled a CC post stating the DSC had to be pre-paid before final payment is due also. I went and rechecked my original email from NCL, and it stated paying $12 prior to the cruise. I also checked my account online and I can pre-pay today at $12 per day. I am within the final payment date. So, it all indicates I can wait until just before the cruise to pay (hopefully).

I had recalled a CC post stating the DSC had to be pre-paid before final payment is due also. I went and rechecked my original email from NCL, and it stated paying $12 prior to the cruise. I also checked my account online and I can pre-pay today at $12 per day. I am within the final payment date. So, it all indicates I can wait until just before the cruise to pay (hopefully).

That's great! When I try to pre-pay online it always gave me the current rate.

Did the rate go up once or twice since you booked? Maybe that is the difference. We booked our cruise in January 2015.

Thanks for the info. I just want back in and the rate has changed! Last week the pre-pay was 13.50 pp/day--today it is showing 12 pp/day. Apparently the internet gremlins at NCL have been hard at work.

Did the rate go up once or twice since you booked? Maybe that is the difference. We booked our cruise in January 2015.
When they sent notification of the first increase in February ($12 to $12.95), the e-mail said pre-pay at the old rate vs. charged on board at new rate. When they raised it again in July ($12.95 to $13.50), the e-mail said booked guests had to pre-pay prior to final payment date to pay the old rate.

If your MyNCL still shows you the old rate of $12 after final payment date, that is lucky for you! But it could change at any time…

I just want back in and the rate has changed! Last week the pre-pay was 13.50 pp/day--today it is showing 12 pp/day. Apparently the internet gremlins at NCL have been hard at work.
In my experience this is an unstable part of the website. Sometimes the option to pre-pay becomes unavailable for days at a time. Anyway, you're not tempted to pre-pay now, are you? ;) Edited by hawkeyetlse

When they sent notification of the first increase in February ($12 to $12.95), the e-mail said pre-pay at the old rate vs. charged on board at new rate. When they raised it again in July ($12.95 to $13.50), the e-mail said booked guests had to pre-pay prior to final payment date to pay the old rate.

If your MyNCL still shows you the old rate of $12 after final payment date, that is lucky for you! But it could change at any time…

In my experience this is an unstable part of the website. Sometimes the option to pre-pay becomes unavailable for days at a time. Anyway, you're not tempted to pre-pay now, are you? ;)

Fair question given my previous comments. No we're not pre-paying but my parents are. This is a big savings for them. I called my mom and told her to log in and pay the lower rate while she could.

The difference between 15% and 18% is not 3%. It is 20%.

A 3% increase on 15% would be 15.45%

Actually, this is a fallacy. Let me prove it to you. First off, let us examine the actual value of the percentages:

What is 15% of 0 (zero)?

Answer: 0 (zero)

What is 18% of 0 (zero)?

What is the difference between 15% of 0 and 18% of 0?

Answer: 0

0 - 0 = 0

In other words, a percentage is not an entity unto itself. It does not exist unless it is measuring a quantity that is more or less than 0. A percentage must be a percentage of something in order to have meaning or even exist. Otherwise the percentage is completely meaningless. Therefore calculating the percentage change between two percentages is meaningless because it doesn't exist as an amount without the something that it is a percentage of.

In the strictest definition, a percentage is a number or ratio expressed as a fraction of 100. Because of this, you cannot say that 18%-15% = 3% SO then 3% of 15% = 20% change because both the 15% and 18% are meaningless WITHOUT the context of what is being measured. As I have proven 15% and 18% of nothing are both 0. Therefore the percentage change can ONLY be the 3% of the 100% being measured.

Actually, this is a fallacy. Let me prove it to you. First off, let us examine the actual value of the percentages:

What is 15% of 0 (zero)?

What is 18% of 0 (zero)?

What is the difference between 15% of 0 and 18% of 0?

Answer: 0

0 - 0 = 0

In other words, a percentage is not an entity unto itself. It does not exist unless it is measuring a quantity that is more or less than 0. A percentage must be a percentage of something in order to have meaning or even exist. Otherwise the percentage is completely meaningless. Therefore calculating the percentage change between two percentages is meaningless because it doesn't exist as an amount without the something that it is a percentage of.

In the strictest definition, a percentage is a number or ratio expressed as a fraction of 100. Because of this, you cannot say that 18%-15% = 3% SO then 3% of 15% = 20% change because both the 15% and 18% are meaningless WITHOUT the context of what is being measured. As I have proven 15% and 18% of nothing are both 0. Therefore the percentage change can ONLY be the 3% of the 100% being measured.

1. We aren't dealing with "zero" here.

2. 18 is, in fact, 20% more than 15.

If you were to purchase a household item and the normal packaging is 15 ounces, but the bonus packaging is 18 ounce size, it is 3 more ounces, but the increase in size is 20%.

Please refer back to the original statement made by rvsullivan in which they said the gratuity increased 3%. That's just not factually accurate. Now, the amount the gratuity was raised was by 3 points, but not 3%. If someone were to say it was 3 points / 20% from 15 to 18, that would be acceptable and factually accurate. Again, 3% of the 15% gratuity would be an increase from 15% to 15.45%.

If a banker tried to do math like rvsullivan they'd be brought up on charges...

I'm not trying to fight with anyone, but math IS what it is. it's not very subjective. I haven't attacked anyone over this. I simply pointed out the error in math.

Edited by LMaxwell

I am sick of hearing that also. Yes, changes happen but not as many or as fast as the ones FDR has done since taking over NCL. How people are ok with all these up charges and down grades, I'll never understand.

I can explain why some who post here are OK with the changes and upcharges.

It is because they are booked in cabin categories where the charges are included as a booking bonus, so they are getting them free (Or they think they are free).

They don't consider the opinions of those who book the lower priced cabins and don't get all the "freebies".

If NCL keeps raising fares and if they discontinue tossing out "bait" to enhance bookings, you will hear complaints from many of those who are now complacent with everything NCL is doing.

Edited by swedish weave

It is because they are booked in cabin categories where the charges are included as a booking bonus, so they are getting them free (Or they think they are free).

They don't consider the opinions of those who book the lower priced cabins and don't get all the "freebies".

That's your situation - I happen to be in a room category where I don't get much freebies (and can't use 3 of them anyway) but got a great deals for time of year sailing and booked early (Studio room after Thanksgiving and before Christmas - booked in the springtime). $2,000 for 3 weeks (7 days each ) on Breakaway-class ships for 1 person, is not a bad deal.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

If NCL keeps raising fares and if they discontinue tossing out "bait" to enhance bookings, you will hear complaints from many of those who are now complacent with everything NCL is doing.

Yeah, at some point all these promos are going to come to a screeching halt. Or, more likely, NCL and the other cruise lines will let the air out of the tires slowly to the point where we are left with high fares and the UBP is one free Bud Light per cruise (plus 18 percent gratuity...).

Edited by AZ ParrotHead

That's your situation - I happen to be in a room category where I don't get much freebies (and can't use 3 of them anyway) but got a great deals for time of year sailing and booked early (Studio room after Thanksgiving and before Christmas - booked in the springtime). $2,000 for 3 weeks (7 days each ) on Breakaway-class ships for 1 person, is not a bad deal.

Wrong again !!! That is NOT my situation, and you are ONE -- NOT SOME or MANY!!!!

Edited by swedish weave

When you booked in January that was before FDR took over. Those were the days of good prices and not weekly changes. Those were the good old days.

Haven't they had (2) price increases on alcoholic beverages this year? I'm surprised well drinks haven't been affected.

You are very lucky your cruising for less this year; hasn't been my experience, but, of course, there are many variables.

Fireworks on the two or three ships that had them, most of the fleet did not. Always was 15% gratuity so it went up 3% (only specialty restaurants). Prime rib is still available at least till the end of the year (your cruise included). DSC is the same if you pay before you board. Room service went up to match what many cruise lines are doing now. A la carte is only if you want it, otherwise the free stuff is still free. And I don't see any significant increase in drink prices. Last year well drinks were about $6 and still are today. But, if it's time to move to another line, I'm sure you'll find one that matches your needs. I know NCL is still sailing full! I know our cruise this year is about $1K cheaper than last year in the same room and the next cruise a year out is even cheaper about $1.8K less than last year. And we add in free UBP!!!

Haven't they had (2) price increases on alcoholic beverages this year? I'm surprised well drinks haven't been affected.
They have, they went up from whatever they were at the beginning of the year ($5.95?), to $6.95, to $7.50 per shot for call brands, with parallel increases for premium brands.

Since the drinkers are pretty much all drinking for free this year, they can get away with these prike hikes without too much outcry…

I've taken a family of 4 during that same period for less than that.

And the kids did not sail free.

I'm not ok with the changes but will adjust. We'll eat at complimentary venues to compensate for upcharges elsewhere. We were excited about Margaritaville on Escape - but now that may not be complimentary, time will tell. I can handle these changes without it ruining anything. But the people I'm traveling with don't handle change very well and while not complainers, a couple lean that direction. Right now they don't have set expectations and none are on this board. They would be firmly in the "I'm not getting what you sold me" camp. And they won't know that the trip is going to cost $200+ more at the moderate end or more. BUT... if they did, I would not be hearing the end of it and THAT would make me unhappy. I sure am glad I never gave them cost details as I have continued to organize this trip for all of us!

Am I going crazy or did the thread about Margaritaville going pay get deleted?

EDIT: Nevermind, my bad. It just doesn't have Margaritaville in the title.

Margaritaville was going to be included originally? I am surprised. Jimmy ALWAYS gets his cut :)