11 Months Later--Not the Same Cruise we Booked

AZ ParrotHead

I'm not ok with the changes but will adjust. We'll eat at complimentary venues to compensate for upcharges elsewhere. We were excited about Margaritaville on Escape - but now that may not be complimentary, time will tell. I can handle these changes without it ruining anything. But the people I'm traveling with don't handle change very well and while not complainers, a couple lean that direction. Right now they don't have set expectations and none are on this board. They would be firmly in the "I'm not getting what you sold me" camp. And they won't know that the trip is going to cost $200+ more at the moderate end or more. BUT... if they did, I would not be hearing the end of it and THAT would make me unhappy. I sure am glad I never gave them cost details as I have continued to organize this trip for all of us!

Thanks for your comments. Keep cruise critic a secret from your friends!!!

Interested in other's opinions as I have put some thought into this topic now that we're sailing in 2 weeks.

This isn't the same cruise experience we booked in early January at the invitation of our friends. Since then, we have watched in amazement as the FDR revolution has taken hold including:

1. No included room service (nearly cxld over that one since we use RS every day on a cruise--opted not to when they made coffee and pastries complimentary.)

2. Increased gratuities--twice...

3. Complete "overhaul" of the dining program. Originally our plan was to eat exclusively at specialties but the increase in costs and a la carte pricing make that much more expensive. (opted for 3 meal specialty dining package instead now)

4. Global increase in fees of 10-30 percent (shows, VIBE, internet etc)....

As a frequent business traveler and world tourist (land and sea) I can't recall another hospitality brand making the number of changes NCL has in the past year. If Marriott tried to all of a sudden remove or change the amenities I've become accustomed to as a premier customer, I'd "jump ship" to another brand.

This is our first NCL cruise. We're elite on RCCL and Celeb and we are giving NCL a try because the price was right at the time of booking and we have good friends who have invited us to join them. Basically we're exactly the kind of customer NCL is trying to attract.

I can't help but have a little sour taste this morning as my wife and I are about to head out to the mall and get some new cruise clothes. I can't recall ever feeling this way 2 weeks before a vacation....

Wondering if others feel a little jerked around too?????

Another whine and complain post? Wait until after your cruise to see how you feel. From what I've heard free room service is a thing of the past and all lines are starting to charge. Plus no real formal night is a huge benefit.

This is not just an NCL thing. Last year while waiting for our Oasis of the Seas cruise, RCCL increased the cost of the ultimate beverage package, the up charge to certain specialty restaurants, if I remember correctly the gratuity or service charge and the cost of alcoholic drinks. It's annoying but we avoided most of the extra costs by luckily prepaying before the increases.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416

From what I've heard free room service is a thing of the past and all lines are starting to charge.

Royal - complimentary with late night fee (Quantum class is a la carte)

Carnival - complimentary; offers a la carte upgrades

Princess - Complimentary

HAL - Complimentary

Celebrity - Complimentary

MSC - Complimentary with late night fee

Don't know where you heard it was a thing of the past

Another whine and complain post? Wait until after your cruise to see how you feel. From what I've heard free room service is a thing of the past and all lines are starting to charge. Plus no real formal night is a huge benefit.

Pressing jeans and a clean T-shirt certainly is easy enough. :cool:

In the interest of full data, Princess room service is VERY limited in offering (but is free except for whole pizzas - they added a charge for those because kids were wasting tons)

As far as Margaritaville, apparently it was exceptionally popular at certain points of the day on the TA if I read the reviews right, so I could see a SMALL cover charge in terms of demand management, with appropriate notice (maybe $5 pp max)

Royal - complimentary with late night fee (Quantum class is a la carte)

Carnival - complimentary; offers a la carte upgrades

Princess - Complimentary

HAL - Complimentary

Celebrity - Complimentary

MSC - Complimentary with late night fee

Don't know where you heard it was a thing of the past

Pressing jeans and a clean T-shirt certainly is easy enough. :cool:

There's always sweat pants and tops as well, even in the warm Caribbean - it is NCL after all. Not alot people dress up anyway, because, well, its Freestyle. [emoji9]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

As far as Margaritaville, apparently it was exceptionally popular at certain points of the day on the TA if I read the reviews right, so I could see a SMALL cover charge in terms of demand management, with appropriate notice (maybe $5 pp max)

Seems to me the better answer is to staff the area appropriately to meet demand.

The less complimentary areas there are, the more the remaining ones will become more crowded. So will they increase MDR and buffet staff?

Not a whine and complain post. An honest accounting of how I feel presently. I look forward to sharing my opinions afterward.

BTW, when we booked free room service wasn't a thing of the past. And my wife is bummed about no formal night--although I am celebrating leaving the tux in the closet this time around.