Mariner of the Seas From Singapore 10/22/15- Complete Picture Review!

gapearl

There's free wifi at the top and a wrap around viewing area where you can get pictures from all angles. There are independent photographers at the top offeriing to take your picture, but I'm not sure what their fee was. They give you a free headset when you get to the top for a self led tour of everything in front of you. I don't remember the exact cost to come up, but I think it was something like 45 HK dollars, or about $6.

94cc4dd8-4b41-49da-9007-1f6a654ae03c_zpsg3mxsajy.jpg

d0dc28d0-d093-4d44-9f5c-932cf3fedfa9_zpskrbrzlly.jpg

a5d799f8-3c13-441a-811d-329a9d3e66c0_zpsuyt2kq3m.jpg

0d1d64cf-8000-498e-b231-311eca4ddce7_zpsnbnqnj31.jpg

000f98fd-4828-457e-be4d-3adc01d85903_zpssnqd3bbb.jpg

There's a mall below with lots of restaurants and shops.

7c3e393b-87ba-4955-931c-ac218fa3366a_zpshgufzkjo.jpg

An appetizer sampler and shaved ice with juice and fruit for lunch.

bbad026f-732c-4b56-86b1-f69cc9ae4b75_zps6mymeekq.jpg

I took the cable car back down.

9f8b0dea-e801-4f4d-abd6-6e3f907bf046_zpsfkchkzcd.jpg

There's a LONG line of people waiting to go up.

0326b295-1a44-47b4-b648-5bbe768060da_zpsjwkqfjvg.jpg

8cfbe49a-9dd9-4464-bcf2-eb660300b143_zpskhggaq89.jpg

Back at the bottom, I bought a ticket for the hop on, hop off bus tour on the red route to see some of the city. It was 250 HK dollars ($33) and you could ride as much as you want. There were 9 stops and I got on at stop 6, so I stayed on again for a second ride. By that time it was getting dark, and the city was lit up so beautifully.

18f2e6ad-2c8b-406e-8e31-e6fd65032651_zps3grkfjmo.jpg

f4a48312-98f4-4b86-b067-863075943947_zpso43hkd7k.jpg

b9fb5719-6acd-4874-b9ae-655a8153bf23_zpsys3dizm3.jpg

I'll take Atlanta traffic on a Friday afternoon at rush hour in the rain with an accident, than I would over this every day.

a884435e-1f3e-4944-8b75-91b15c751495_zpspedqtgha.jpg

The Hong Kong international finance center, the 9th tallest building in the world.

cec59bd6-b946-43f6-a7d5-6eda188d565f_zpscpibyjhp.jpg

Lots of traffic and lots of people.

913177c5-4eb2-42a5-820a-79f7a7792833_zpshmti95im.jpg

08a3bfc0-0f32-4389-84b0-6732e18dfa88_zpsxn2ccdpw.jpg

c8565983-2dc0-4ebd-a9d3-101544eafda5_zpsbabumbmy.jpg

Even the trolleys are double decker, and look at how packed they are. That just shows you how many people are really here.

eced7b8e-4cf6-45c6-adc3-1d8e65685e9b_zps7bhnufkw.jpg

b1fd9068-2b52-4e01-b006-dea84a52d57f_zpsdlhxnwt2.jpg

The building with the X's is the Bank of China Building.

b2943dcc-0af9-4d85-95bd-07c2e461f6e0_zpsmmknkvtd.jpg

View from my seat on the bus.

e11a4428-1e0d-49df-b810-c3329e482eb9_zpsr7yzgzwx.jpg

2dc7b766-02cd-402e-ada6-632900c84c6c_zpsmjxvivfx.jpg

On the ferry, headed back to Lantau Island around 8:30 pm.

8f7a33ae-2477-4e3d-9bab-9d6148e14a11_zpsztaoylof.jpg

So that's it for this review.

Here are some final thoughts I have about Royal Caribbean and how I think they compare to Carnival that I posted in an earlier thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276619

I think it's quite funny that there are so few reviews on the Mariner from Singapore, but two more people from my sailing that also wrote a review. LOL Check out theirs as well to get some different perspectives.

Review from sundaycomes-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2282536

Review from Godsonsafari-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276542

A lot of people have conflicting experiences and thoughts on the Asia cruises. Going from Singapore, I can say that there's nothing to worry about. I met people from 6 continents and most of my fellow cruisers were from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, South Africa, England, etc. Of course there were cruisers from Asia, but I wouldn't say they were the majority. I think people have the issues with the ships from Hong Kong. There will be cultural differences so you HAVE to have an open mind. Don't expect this to be your typical western cruise. If that's what you want and expect, just stick with ships from Florida. If you're open minded to meeting new people that don't look like you and whose first language might not be the same as yours, then consider it. For me, this was a great way to see some of Southeast Asia.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read this. It took a lot of time and effort to put together. I have to admit that after all the work I put into it, I still didn't get half as many views or feedback as my reviews normally get. Maybe not as many people aren't interested in reading about an Asia cruise because it's not on their radar, I don't know. In any case, thanks to those of you who left positive words along the way and took the time to read some or all of it. :)

Hi,

I have read some of your other reviews and really enjoyed them. I'm also mostly a solo traveler, about the same age. I was very interested in this review as I would like to see SE Asia(went to Aus by myself once) but I've been hesitant to book a land trip there. I liked the cruise idea, wasn't sure how affordable it would be, so I really enjoyed your review and it has opened the possibility up again for me. One of the cruise lines I go on is sending a ship over there next year, so we'll see- although I've yet to try Royal. Thank you for all of your time and effort- I've done a few reviews and know how much time it takes, so know that it's appreciated even if ppl aren't saying anything!

Stacey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read EVERY SINGLE WORD !! And looked at EVERY SINGLE PICTURE !! And I LOVED it all. Thank you Kim for doing such a fabulous job. You did yourself, the Mariner, Royal Caribbean and southeast Asia proud.

I feel like I was walking a few steps behind you through the entire trip from beginning to end. Although you didn't attend the ping pong shows in Phuket I did have to Google that. OMG. It sure wasn't about green tables, nets and paddles was it?

I'm pretty sure I'll never take this voyage but I am so glad you did and gave us a report of a lifetime.

Thank you Kim

Hi,

I have read some of your other reviews and really enjoyed them. I'm also mostly a solo traveler, about the same age. I was very interested in this review as I would like to see SE Asia(went to Aus by myself once) but I've been hesitant to book a land trip there. I liked the cruise idea, wasn't sure how affordable it would be, so I really enjoyed your review and it has opened the possibility up again for me. One of the cruise lines I go on is sending a ship over there next year, so we'll see- although I've yet to try Royal. Thank you for all of your time and effort- I've done a few reviews and know how much time it takes, so know that it's appreciated even if ppl aren't saying anything!

Stacey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Stacey! I think this cruise is the perfect way to see SE Asia. You really only need a day to see each port stop in Malaysia, and 2 days in Phuket was good. If you can get a good deal on the cruise, this might be a cheaper option than a land trip. I would put pen to paper and crunch some numbers and see how you'll come out ahead. If a land trip will be cheaper, I wouldn't be hesitant to do that either. I never once felt unsafe anywhere I went. I was really wanting to book one of the longer cruises that were 10-12 days and also stopped in Cambodia and Vietnam, but they were way too much. Besides the hotel splurge in Singapore and doing so much in Thailand, I tried to not spend too much money on my other activities, but even the cheap stuff adds up quick and I went a bit over budget (like I always do lol). Thanks for reading and not being just a lurker. :p

Wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing with us!! Where are you going next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! I have some vacation time in February and wherever I go, it will have to be CHEAP as I'm vacation poor now and planning a cross country move for next summer, so financially I have to get ready for that. I'm considering cashing in some hotel points in Cancun or maybe renting an apartment in Roatan for a week for $300, and since I fly for free I don't have to worry about the expense of a plane ticket (besides international taxes). I have 2 cruises booked for later next year, and thinking my next BIG trip on the level of this one will be early 2017 to Tanzania and Seychelles. :)

I have read EVERY SINGLE WORD !! And looked at EVERY SINGLE PICTURE !! And I LOVED it all. Thank you Kim for doing such a fabulous job. You did yourself, the Mariner, Royal Caribbean and southeast Asia proud.

I feel like I was walking a few steps behind you through the entire trip from beginning to end. Although you didn't attend the ping pong shows in Phuket I did have to Google that. OMG. It sure wasn't about green tables, nets and paddles was it?

I'm pretty sure I'll never take this voyage but I am so glad you did and gave us a report of a lifetime.

Thank you Kim

Thanks for all the kind words. :o No the ping pong shows didn't involve none of that, LOL. That would have been something crazy to see! You never know you might make it overseas one day. I hope you do!

Glad to see that part of the world through your eyes. You are a lot braver than I am to go by myself.

I was wondering why the beach that you were last on did not have hardly anyone on there.

Thanks so much. You'd be surprised at what you have the courage to do that you think you wouldn't. If you take one solo trip, you'll get hooked. Pui O Beach is not a tourist beach but in a residential neighborhood, so it's pretty quiet compared to some of the others. Pretty much just locals go there on occasion.

Lek Landen on FB, and his email is leklanden@hotmail.com. :)

Thank you so much! Yes, the humidity I face in Georgia is nothing compared to Singapore. I also look forward to returning to Asia one day.

thanks again Kim,

A fantastic review loved all ,will miss reading your daily updates .

Enjoy all and if you get to Australia ,would love to meet you !

ps.I found Lek on facebook ! x

Bye for now Eve

Thank you Kim! Your review was amazing!

I am going to HK as well after Singapore so everything in your review (except for Langkawi) was pretty much where we are going!

Good luck for your next adventure!

Will have to try and review my trip from a first time cruiser's perspective...may not be anywhere as detailed as yours though!

Thank You, Kim. What a wonderful trip review! Your review was so detailed, as they always are. I was also concerned about that beach not having any people there. Did you stay long enough to get in the water? I would have been outta there! :). Girl, the next time I am in ATL, we will have to plan another lunch. Take care, and I look forward to your next review.

Fabulous review, Kim! Very entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to share your cruise here. I will definitely be referring to your review should I decide to take a cruise when I go to SE Asia. Have fun planning your next trip! Tanzania and the Seychelles sound wonderful, but so do Cancun and Roatan. So many places to see, and never enough money or time!

0a36d625-0025-4b0c-b093-267044307eef_zpsby2fsgn5.jpg[/size]

:eek::eek::eek:: That is NOT the WCMC with TWO ice creams we are used to seeing in your reviews. It's like your cornbread issues, but now with the chocolate soufflé.:D:D

So excited I found this review! Great pictures and great review!

Even though I have ZERO desire to do this itinerary, it's still a great review, and it's YOURS. How can we NOT love it?

Keep up the great work!!!!

thanks again Kim,

A fantastic review loved all ,will miss reading your daily updates .

Enjoy all and if you get to Australia ,would love to meet you !

ps.I found Lek on facebook ! x

Bye for now Eve

Did Lek get back in touch with you yet? I'm glad you got some ideas for your trip. I will have you let you know if I ever make it down under. :) I'm so glad to have my life back from writing this review. LOL

Thank you, again, for taking the time to do this. Having done a (much shorter) review and knowing how much effort went into it, I truly do appreciate your detailed descriptions and photos. Can't wait to see where your next adventure takes you!

Thanks for coming back to read every day. You and your family will have an awesome time on your cruise.

Will either of you be writing a review as well when you get back? I'll have to pop over here again to read it if so. ;)