Which side of ship is bettr view (in port)?

FJTinSC

My guess, and that's all it is, would be the starboard side. I draw an outline of the ship and then follow the route the ship takes and whatever side the island is on is the side I pick. So far I've been lucky. I'm sure someone that's been on this cruise will have more than a guess. Cathy

I have been to all these ports and sometimes the ship backs in and sometimes it docks straight in. So it really varies. I will say we have always booked a starboard balcony and never been disappointed.

In 2003 and 2004 we were in the same cabin, same ship (AOS). Both times we were at the newer Pan American Pier. In 2003 we were docked with a starboard view of the Isla Grande Airport. In 2004 we were docked the other direction with a starboard view of Old San Juan. How they decide, I don't know.

I was on that same cruise on Navigator last February & I can only echo what everyone else has said - it just depends on how the ship docks in port that particular day. We were port side & had great views in San Juan & Nassau , but were docked in the outer-most "slot" in St. Thomas with no harbor views & were docked alongside another ship in St. Maarten so our only view was the other ship. I was docked port side the previous time in both those ports & had great views, so it's really a 50/50 shot.

Thanks for answering this seemingly silly question. I thought at one time I had heard one side being better than the other.

Your scientific method, Cathy G, is exactly how I've always done my cabin selection...so do't think much about it! LOL

I am the type that loves to see the Islands off in the distance.

Thanks to all who responded!

On long voyages it used to be POSH (port out, starboard home) but nowadays it really depends on the ports of call and from sailing to sailing the same ship may dock differently. In some ports, especially working ports, you are better if your stateroom looks out into the harbor. In some the view of the island from your stateroom is great while in others, you had best keep your drapes closed if you value your privacy. :D Relax and enjoy your cruise. Que sera, sera.

On long voyages it used to be POSH (port out, starboard home) but nowadays it really depends on the ports of call and from sailing to sailing the same ship may dock differently. In some ports, especially working ports, you are better if your stateroom looks out into the harbor. In some the view of the island from your stateroom is great while in others, you had best keep your drapes closed if you value your privacy. :D Relax and enjoy your cruise. Que sera, sera.

POSH originated with P&O in the days before a/c... From the UK to India and Australia the port side was the shady/cool side of the ship going down, and the starboard side was the shady/cool side of the ship on the return.

Archived