Benoa, Bail elephan safari

I'm looking at doing the Elephant Safari Park at Taro when we are in Benoa, Bali. Has anyone done this? Yes, I realise this is 2 hours each way on a bus but it's something my family really wants to do. We have a 6 year old with us, the ship advert says it's family friendly. Can anyone who has been here on this excursion offer some insight? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

We did this a couple of years ago and thought it was a great day. Yes the drive is a bit long but you do stop at a batik factory (or something similar) on the way which does break the journey plus you get to see a bit of the area from busy dirty city streets to outlying villages to beautiful countryside.

We had a great lunch and there was a show with some elephants doing party tricks. Sounds awful but it was actually very entertaining and I didn't feel the animals were being mistreated. We then got to go on an elephant ride which was terrific.

I don't remember many kids on the day we were there but the elephants have a seat with a safety rail on their backs so it is pretty safe.

I would happily recommend it.

cheers

Stu

We went there in 2012 because we had previously seen a documentary about the rescuing of these elephants from harsh conditions in Sumatra. The rescue effort itself was really amazing and the documentary is well worth a look - I think it was called 'Operation Dumbo Drop' but my memory might be faulty :eek:

The park is very attractive and well maintained. The elephants seem very well cared for and some do give rides but they are rested after a very short period of time.

There is also a nice restaurant on the site and of course a shop to help lighten your wallet :D but I wouldn't hesitate to go if your children really want to. It's definitely family friendly.

Heres the web site for anyone who is interested.

http://www.elephantsafariparklodge.com/index.php

They also have 2 live webcams...

Trekking area

http://www.elephantsafariparklodge.com/index.php/experience-the-lodge/live-elephant-trekking-cam.html

Bathing area

http://www.elephantsafariparklodge.com/index.php/experience-the-lodge/live-elephant-cam.html

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think our decision has been made! I do like the idea of seeing the different areas of Bali from the bus, sounds like a good cross section. I'm pleased that animals appear happy and well cared for. My son who will be 6 at the time we go is very excited to do this.

DW and I did this tour in Mar this year. Many cruise passengers wanted to visit and ride on Elephants. I think there ended up being 10 or 12 bus loads of passengers visit across the day. Everyone I spoke to had a wonderful day. Also given the park is up on much higher ground than the usual touristy spots it quite a bit cooler and less humid so quite comfortable.

We did it in February this year on our Solstice cruise. Thoroughly enjoyed the day, we are not ones for crowds and shopping so driving up into the lovely hinterland was right for us. Our tour did not include a stop at a Batik factory but our driver did point out interesting spots as we drove by.

The park looks well cared for and the elephants did not appear to be stressed in any way. I found out that riding an elephant is quite uncomfortable but can now say I have done it. The entertainment was a bit kitsch by enjoyable nevertheless and the lunch was really good in a lovely spot. They also seemed to stagger the cruise ship visitors so it never felt overcrowded.

Even the on site shop had lots of elephantanlia for sale, so I picked up some nice gifts.

• 2 weeks later...
Fantastic info. Thanks!

Would our family 2 (not small) adults + 6 year old child be able to go on the same elephant or is it one person per elephant for the ride.

Two people per elephant. Though it may be possible for two adults and a small child. It's not terribly steady up there on the back of an elephant when it's walking.. We found you need at least one hand to steady yourself at all times.. There is a kind of lap belt as well. But hey, ask the handlers when it's your turn to ride and I'm sure they can sort something out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk