Allison & David's Babymoon: Norwegian Pearl 11/3/15

ucfalli

I hate it when the number of towels is skimpy! If four people are checking into the same hotel room, they need 4 towels, it's not that hard to do the math!!

I'm afraid to hear the towel story, lol, because I have a feeling it's going to be something annoying in a lack of service context.

Did you ask your steward if he could bring you a soap bar? They sometimes can accommodate this request.

It wasn't even something I thought of. I just figured it is what it is. David didn't complain about it after the first night...he got over it. Just now I know next time to bring soap on Norwegian for sure. :cool:

I am looking forward to more of your review and pictures! We will be on the Pearl in August!

And congratulations!!

Talk about planning in advance! I hope the information helps you. I had a bit of a hard time figuring out pre-cruise what was current and not on the Pearl.

I hate it when the number of towels is skimpy! If four people are checking into the same hotel room, they need 4 towels, it's not that hard to do the math!!

I'm afraid to hear the towel story, lol, because I have a feeling it's going to be something annoying in a lack of service context.

There was more then one towel experience on this cruise :eek:

Never had this as a problem in any hotel or cruise before....

Day: 1 Embarkation Continued

11/03/15

This was the welcome aboard pamphlet that was handed out with check in:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Almost forgot! We got the embarkation photo. Was the only photo we got on the cruise. It's also the only photo we have consistently bought on every cruise we have taken.

I didn't like how they printed it in the large 8x10 size. I like 5x7 Carnival does. Also behind the large photo was a another sheet with a 5x7 and two 4x6's. Was a separate $25... we didn't get that. Norwegian is even more expensive then Carnival at $25 for 8x10. They did have a photo package available that I thought was a good deal if you planned to take a lot of photos. I believe it was $149 for 10 photos. Usually we take a ton of photos which my husband hates. :rolleyes:

My husband's #1 favorite thing about this Norwegian cruise was that there was no formal night(s) and I didn't make him sit for any photos.... My lack of wardrobe and just not wanting photos on this cruise had a hand in that.

Word to the wise....don't wear the color I wore for the embarkation photo. Luckily they were able to photo shop my dress back to normal. It seems that the color I wore doesn't work well for the green backdrop. It looked like my dress was "wet" in random spots all over.

ry%3D400

With buying the embarkation photo on the first night you also got a free Norwegian Pearl stock photo:

ry%3D400

This what you were handed after taking the embarkation photo:

ry%3D400

11/03/15

There are some small cards on the desk area that you are to fill out for the no charge continental breakfast (along with the up charge items) and place outside your door.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here is some the Miscellaneous paperwork that was tucked in the Freestyle Daily:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Paperwork for all your buying needs in Key West.....

ry%3D400

11/03/15

On the desk was a few booklets along with the room service menu (which I don't believe I got a photo of).

The Mandara Spa:

ry%3D400

A book of numbers for embassies pretty much.

ry%3D400

Big book of Norwegian advertising along with some port info:

ry%3D400

11/03/15

Now time for the great mystery........This is above the toilet paper in the bathroom....does anybody know what this is for!?!?!?!?! :confused:

Looks like an ashtray almost or a soap holder, but doesn't make sense....

ry%3D400

This was actually our shortest cruise to date, but it was perfect for a quick getaway. Felt like we got a lot out of this vacation.

Actually our least favorite cruise was the Carnival Sensation, which is a sister ship to the Ecstasy. Our bathroom flooded every time we took a shower.... was miserable. Maybe we'll have to give the Ecstasy a try one day. :D

That's good to know. We began our cruising adventure with the 3 day on the Carnival Ecstasy because of the affordability and plus we honestly did not know if we would like cruising. At the end, we were sooooo sad to have to leave the ship :)!

If there was an available itinerary on the Ecstasy specifically from November 7-11, 2016, then we would have booked it. That's how much we liked the Ecstasy :). I highly recommend it.

Thank you again for your descriptive review and pictures!!

Edited by MrsPhoenix91

11/03/15

Now time for the great mystery........This is above the toilet paper in the bathroom....does anybody know what this is for!?!?!?!?! :confused:

Looks like an ashtray almost or a soap holder, but doesn't make sense....

ry%3D400

Its a *gasp* ashtray, from back in the day when you could smoke in the bathroom.

11/03/15

Now back to the main attraction.

So after dropping of our belongings, we made our way up one flight of stairs to the Summer Palace dining room (we really like the proximity). I had read before on the boards that Norwegian has one of the main dining rooms open for lunch on embarkation day and that on the Pearl it would be the the Summer Palace. This was something I was very interested in, since I hate the craziness of the buffet during embarkation. We checked out the menu and saw some items we would want so decided to give it a go. Summer Palace was not crowded at all and was very peaceful. We were seated right away.

Don't know if you'll be able to read the menu, hard to get a good picture through the glass:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

First impression of the Summer Palace: Both David and I loved the decor. Had a very rich....Russian imperial feel complete with "Faberge Eggs" on top of the stairs as accents, the ceiling was painted in the center area, and there were paintings lining the walls.

I also liked the large amount of windows in the room along with the plentiful 2 person tables lining the windows. On Carnival ships, sea views are not always plentiful when eating. Also do the assigned seating for meals on Carnival, majority of the tables in the main dining rooms are very large tables. The large tables are almost always by the windows. So you have to choose either sitting alone at breakfast or getting a view with one of the large tables.

I had trouble getting a good photo because of the back lighting. I had to use the flash.... which washed things out.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

11/03/15

This was the view from one of the mornings that we ate breakfast in Summer Palace. As you can see breakfast wasn't busy at all either.

ry%3D400

A painting you see when exiting the dining room. One grumpy family.... I'm sure it's of a royal family

ry%3D400

David got the chicken and herb salad which he enjoyed very much

ry%3D400

I got the scallops gratin. I had never actually had scallops before so decided to give it a go. I enjoyed it very much and would definitely order again.

ry%3D400

That's where the good food ended. David and I both got the Philly cheese steak. I don't think a Philly cheese steak could be any worse. There was barely any meat on it. Was basically a ton of peppers with melted cheese. I don't recommend anyone ordering this unless you LOVE pepper melts. :rolleyes:

The Philly came with regular french fries, but we saw on the menu that waffles fries and curly fries came with some of the other meals. I got the waffle and David the curly fries. Both were good, but the curly fries were delicious! I think the best fries I've had at sea yet. For desert we decided we would head upstairs and get some ice cream.

ry%3D400

Its a *gasp* ashtray, from back in the day when you could smoke in the bathroom.

Wow! I didn't think the ship was that old that they would allow that then. That's what I really thought it was but was like.....nah, it can't be

I'm not a smoker, but smoking on the john....doesn't seem pleasant...:eek:

That's good to know. We began our cruising adventure with the 3 day on the Carnival Ecstasy because of the affordability and plus we honestly did not know if we would like cruising. At the end, we were sooooo sad to have to leave the ship :)!

If there was an available itinerary on the Ecstasy specifically from November 7-11, 2016, then we would have booked it. That's how much we liked the Ecstasy :). I highly recommend it.

Thank you again for your descriptive review and pictures!!

Wow, 3 days! Our first cruise David wouldn't let me book a 7 day, he made me book a 5 day to see if I would like cruising. I thought he was begin ridiculous. I had just spent 30 days in Europe the summer prior, moving to a new location every couple of days. Cruising would be a breeze!

I did the eye the Ecstasy for awhile as a quick getaway awhile ago when it was in Port Canaveral but now it has moved port to one of the in ports in South Florida. Maybe someday...

Wow! I didn't think the ship was that old that they would allow that then. That's what I really thought it was but was like.....nah, it can't be

I'm not a smoker, but smoking on the john....doesn't seem pleasant...:eek:

I believe the bathroom ashtrays were an attempt to prevent smokers from flushing butts.

I worked at a USPS facility and the mail sorting cages still have the built in ashtrays. The ladies would tell me that not that long ago everyone smoked while sorting the mail.

I believe the bathroom ashtrays were an attempt to prevent smokers from flushing butts.

I worked at a USPS facility and the mail sorting cages still have the built in ashtrays. The ladies would tell me that not that long ago everyone smoked while sorting the mail.

Makes sense on Norwegian's part...but still can't believe it..

You'd be grumpy too if your subjects were plotting against the monarchy. That's the last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas and his family.

That's what I was thinking, but I knew someone on here would know for sure :)

You're right...things didn't end very well for the whole family... That and I am sure that each child had to sit for a quite awhile for the painter.

11/03/15

We headed upstairs and saw La Cucina to the right, so we walked through on our way to the Great Outdoors. If you are going to eat in the buffet on the first day and want a nice quiet spot with loads of tables...this is your place. It's opened as an overflow and nobody seems to realize this. It seemed to be always open for lunch as an overflow on our cruise. As you can see, very few people in there.

It's very confusing walking on "stone" carpet... hehe

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Next tip....lunch time if you want to avoid the madness of the buffet just go to the great outdoor which is a great covered area. The buffet there is the same as inside, but abbreviated. A fraction of the crowds and drink station right there.

ry%3D400

Loads of tables and there is also a bar. This is a fabulous spot on the boat to eat al fresco, just relax, or to set up for sail away.

ry%3D400

The birds were also enjoying the buffet.

ry%3D400

Something that I thought Norwegian was a genius with which I hadn't seen on Carnival.. Putting the utensils wrapped with the napkin on the table along with the condiments. Many times I've forgotten and had to go back to the grab the napkin/utensils on prior cruises with Carnival.

It's especially useful since there are no buffet trays Norwegian. About the buffet trays... I didn't like not having one. For me it was pretty impossible to to juggle a plate and a drink (didn't want to risk it since I'm a bit klutzy. I always had to put my plate down and then grab a drink.

During main dining times in the buffet they did have staff walking around and passing out the complimentary drinks (which I also thought was very nice). However, David and I liked to make our own little concoction. I can't take any of the credit, it was David's idea right away. Just put a little bit of the strawberry/kiwi (25% or less) in the glass then fill up the rest with the lemonade. Tasted just like pink lemonade.

Was a little frustrating when the staff would sometimes be barricading the drink station. We would usually have to walk around till we found one open (never came out right when they did it).