Enchantment Review - Nov 2nd - first timer's perspective

Following along.... sailing on 12/4 with my sister and nephew...havent been on enchantment since 2008 . We are also staying at the radisson ...taxi sounds like the way to go ....especially since i will be rocking a boot and crutches :eek:.. looking forward to your review of chops since i have made reservations for the three of us for a special nite....i have gone to chops on freedom and brilliance and really enjoyed it .

Midnight sailaway party sounds lots of fun ...and the 70s party is always a good time.

Following along.... sailing on 12/4 with my sister and nephew...havent been on enchantment since 2008 . We are also staying at the radisson ...taxi sounds like the way to go ....especially since i will be rocking a boot and crutches :eek:.. looking forward to your review of chops since i have made reservations for the three of us for a special nite....i have gone to chops on freedom and brilliance and really enjoyed it .

Midnight sailaway party sounds lots of fun ...and the 70s party is always a good time.

If on crutches would say definitely go with taxi. The shuttles have a step up to get into them, might be tricky. Will get review of Chops done asap, first half of day 4 about to go up.

Day 4 (At Sea - last day!)

We were tired after the late night so had a sleep in. By the time we got to the pool deck it was crazy busy with no sun beds at all. Solarium was the same. This was the only time on the cruise we felt like it was crowded. I wondered about how the bigger ships are on sea days - same because although bigger pool areas more people, or not as bad because more places for crowd to disperse?

The WJ was also crazy so we decided to wait for lunch in the MDR. There was a line but it was quick. Everyone was seated at large tables. There is a nice salad bar where you can get your salad made up. I didn't, but from what table mates got, it looked good. DW ordered chicken caesar from menu, I went with chicken sliders. Caesar was good, sliders not so much. The chicken was what I would describe as reconstituted pressed chicken. Another guy at our table got them too and only eat one bite! I am not that picky so eat them anyway but would recommend something else from the menu- there was a beef burger and a few pasta dishes and some fish I think.

After lunch we were deciding what to do. DW wanted to be outdoors but pool deck was a no go so I suggested we see if we could find a spot on the promenade deck. I had noticed from our night time post dinner strolls there were deck chairs. We found the perfect spot- right at the back (stern). There was no one there. We used two deck chairs each to constitute a make shift sun bed so we could rest out legs up! It was quite magnificent. DW in sun, me in shade, watching the wake and the calm sea feeling like we had our very own giant aft balcony!

After a while I strolled up the Schooner bar and got us a couple of cocktails (maybe mudslides?) and returned to our secret spot. On the way there was the only other person on promenade deck doing the same thing on the port side. She was reading a book and I commented on how I was glad most people didn't see to know about or want to use the promenade deck. DW decided to take a walk, I wasn't for moving from my private view of the wake! Ironically the view of the wake made me sleep! I was woken up sometime later by DW. We brought our glasses back in and headed back to the room (stopping off for a drink to take back at R Bar) to do the dreaded packing. We were though very much looking forward to dinner at Chops....

My husband liked food options better on Indy and he liked the shopping better on Enchantment. I liked them both. I Did miss Freestyle Coke machines that Enchantment had because f the flavored water options. My husband did not miss the machines which surprises me. I loved them both. We stayed in the large ocean view rooms on Enchantment and booked the Promenade rooms on Indy. Loved them both. I can say that the promenade on Indy is impressive. I would sail either ship again.

If on crutches would say definitely go with taxi. The shuttles have a step up to get into them, might be tricky. Will get review of Chops done asap, first half of day 4 about to go up.

Yeah and I'm not that graceful on a good day lol

My husband liked food options better on Indy and he liked the shopping better on Enchantment. I liked them both. I Did miss Freestyle Coke machines that Enchantment had because f the flavored water options. My husband did not miss the machines which surprises me. I loved them both. We stayed in the large ocean view rooms on Enchantment and booked the Promenade rooms on Indy. Loved them both. I can say that the promenade on Indy is impressive. I would sail either ship again.

Thanks for the insights. Silly question, do promendade rooms have window looking on promenade? Is there not an issue with privacy?

Always have loved the Enchantment - Did many long cruises out of her out of Baltimore to the Caribbean and the crew was always fantastic. It may not have all of the newer features of the larger ships, but I have always had a good time with the environment that the small ships provide.

Good to see you still like Enchantment after being on all those cruises. It did have a nice small feel to it and felt like crew really wanted to help in every way.

Thanks for the insights. Silly question, do promendade rooms have window looking on promenade? Is there not an issue with privacy?

Yes, you need to keep your curtains closed for privacy when you have Promenade staterooms. The folks right across from you have great view into your stateroom.

Thanks for the review.

Enjoyed your description of Coco Cay.

Where did you eat at the Radisson? We have stayed there and like to read reviews of it.

Because of the massive delays with our shuttle at airport it was 10pm when we got there, so reception suggested a local pizza place. We ordered and they delivered to the room, large pizza for about $14 with a coupon. We had the leftovers for breakfast as knew we'd be eating on the ship.

Would definitely stay there again, so close. Reception were helpful and got a few last minute and not expensive things at hotel shop.

Because of the massive delays with our shuttle at airport it was 10pm when we got there, so reception suggested a local pizza place. We ordered and they delivered to the room, large pizza for about $14 with a coupon. We had the leftovers for breakfast as knew we'd be eating on the ship.

Would definitely stay there again, so close. Reception were helpful and got a few last minute and not expensive things at hotel shop.

Good to know since we wont land until 9.....

Day 4 (cont'd)

We managed to get to packed, never like that part of a vacation! We had already decided we were doing self disembark so left out clothes for morning and put cases back in closet.

We went to R Bar for our pre Chops drink and caught the end of Rockport. After that we strolled up to Chops for our 7pm reservation. Chops is set in a lovely intimate room on Deck 6. We were given a great table by the window. Our waiter's name escapes me now but I did mention him in my post cruise survey which was done a few days after getting back. He was brilliant. We were given soft pretzel type bread with a mustard butter with anchovy. It was delicious.

We perused the menu and asked for a wine recommendation- with drinks package you can get any glass up to $12. We went with recommendation for a malbec reserve- it was delicious. DW wanted the French Onion Soup (topped with Gruyere chese). I couldn't decide between crab cakes or scallops so on recommendation I had both!! Both were literally delicious. Also DW loved soup. Even I tried it and liked it and I wouldn't normally be a fan. For mains we both got the 9oz filet mignon medium rare. We got truffle fries, creamed asparagus and mushrooms as our side. The plates have a kind of crevice around the side for your sauce. We got some Chops steak sauce and pepper sauce. The sides were very nice. The sauces were tasty but to be quite honest everything was dwarfed by how amazing the steak was. The knife glided through and the steak and it melted in the mouth. Being Irish, I am quite the expert on steaks- we have the best in the world- so I can say with confidence these were delicious cuts of steaks cooked to perfection. We were quite full but tried dessert. I had the chocolate tarte, DW velvet cake. Both were nice but not spectacular. For overall experience, attention to detail and superior quality of the food, I think it's well worth the $30 charge. We left a nice tip due to the excellent service. I would definitely do Chops again.

After dinner we had our last post dinner promenade walk. We then went to the R Bar to get a drink from Denis. Rockport then returned for a 'karaoke with the band'! You have a list of songs to pick from and get up and sing in front of them as they play away. Some people were amazing (one lady did Whitney H), some not so much. I may or may not have partaken but suffice to say I wasn't one in the amazing category!

Afterwards we took a stroll up to deck 10 and did a lap. We had a drink on pool deck before deciding to call it a night, knowing we had a very early start. It was a lovely final night.

Final instalment is last morning / debarkation / final overall thoughts.

Edited by FirstCruise2331
Typo

Yes, you need to keep your curtains closed for privacy when you have Promenade staterooms. The folks right across from you have great view into your stateroom.

Good to know! We are thinking for next cruise (spoiler as to my final thoughts!) we would like at least a window if on a longer cruise to break up that not sure if it's day or night you get with an inside. Not too worried about a balcony (although would be nice, just very cost prohibitive) as long as we can find a spot somewhere on deck.

Also just back from Enchantment B2B and not overly impressed. Been a few years since being on Royal but have never been on a cruise where waiters have been so indifferent. Requested a table change in MTD and had much better. Also a great bar girl who got to know us and what we wanted. Second leg had late seating with a waiter who never once made eye contact, mumbled under his breath, and seemed put out that he had to be there. Food was mostly OK to mediocre.

Windjammer--ice cold poached eggs, omelets (pre-made), and french toast. Some good selections later in the day.

Mostly really great bartenders.

Fabulous loyalty ambassador.

Five of us in two linked cabins were seated at three different tables.

Musicians good.

When entering the dining room one night I had a glass of red wine knocked from my hand, onto my clothing, by a waiter waving a hand sanitizer around.

Still, I got to go on a cruise and the beach with some very special people and had a great time.

Also just back from Enchantment B2B and not overly impressed. Been a few years since being on Royal but have never been on a cruise where waiters have been so indifferent. Requested a table change in MTD and had much better. Also a great bar girl who got to know us and what we wanted. Second leg had late seating with a waiter who never once made eye contact, mumbled under his breath, and seemed put out that he had to be there. Food was mostly OK to mediocre.

Windjammer--ice cold poached eggs, omelets (pre-made), and french toast. Some good selections later in the day.

Mostly really great bartenders.

Fabulous loyalty ambassador.

Five of us in two linked cabins were seated at three different tables.

Musicians good.

When entering the dining room one night I had a glass of red wine knocked from my hand, onto my clothing, by a waiter waving a hand sanitizer around.

Still, I got to go on a cruise and the beach with some very special people and had a great time.

Sorry to hear your B2B wasn't as good as you expected. I didnt have the eggs in the WJ, so can't comment. I suppose the experience I had was very much down to good crew with friendly service - had I had your experience I would probably feel very different.

Sorry to hear your B2B wasn't as good as you expected. I didnt have the eggs in the WJ, so can't comment. I suppose the experience I had was very much down to good crew with friendly service - had I had your experience I would probably feel very different.

Great made to order eggs this past Saturday

We had bought the Premium Drinks Package. Its $57 per person per day. There's loads of threads about drinks packages but we found it worked well for us. You can get any beer, wine (by the glass), frozen cocktail, cocktail, spirits, etc. up to the value of $12. There wasn't any drink we wanted that wasn't covered (including prosecco, daqueries, bombay gin, etc. You also get your coke cup to use at the free style Machines (located in a few places- deck 6 Centrum and Wind Jammer on Deck 9). You can also order soft drinks (not cans) from any bar or in the dining room if you don't want to walk to one of the machines.

Is there a limit on number of drinks you can get per day?