Epic Haven courtyard Mediterranean in January?

bellevuemountain

:confused:

Hi! Did a quick search before posting question but I'm guessing that I'm not using the right keywords :-)

Anyone can tell me what the weather is like on a Mediterranean cruise in January and if the Haven Courtyard is accessible? Or is it too cold and windy?

Thanks!

We just sailed out of Southampton on the Epic where it was in the 50's. People dressed appropriately and enjoyed the courtyard. There were actually more people up in the Posh club on deck 18 (dressed appropriately) since the bar is up there. The pool is (somewhat) heated and the jacuzzis are always nice and warm. People where in the jacuzzis all hours of the day and night. You can also sit in the sauna and watch the goings on in the courtyard. Or the steam rooms without a view.

Thanks! Will thus pack layers, from bathing suit to coat :-)

We're on the same cruise, aberdare_chick! I am so looking forward to the trip!

Yes we can't wait either! Yes there's going to be a lot of packing as it's hard to know exactly what will be needed. Not long only 74 days!! (Not that I'm counting.... ;-) )

I have been advised that when I cruise out of Barcelona on 24th January the weather for the cruise will be cool to warm :-)

January in Barcelona is a average high of 55 with an average low of 40.

Edited by Husky61

• 3 weeks later...

We just came back from the 22-29/NOV sailing out of Barcelona and stayed in the Haven (courtyard villa [16013]). Weather was mainly between lows in the low-40s and highs in the upper-50s (5C - 14C) during the cruise (we had two days in Barcelona before, with highs in the mid-60s [~17C]).

Courtyard was accessible the entire time, but not many used it (after the "welcome aboard" tour of the Haven, I think I walked through it once on my way back from the lounge). A few brave souls used the hot tubs and even less used the pool (mainly kids). We did have some rough seas (Gale force winds one night) and they actually drained the pool for a few evenings (but the hot tubs were always in operation).

I think I saw just two or three people sitting out all week, and only when we were in port and there was sufficient sun. While at sea, it was very windy in the courtyard (one evening, the wind was whistling through the doors into the corridor). I don't think anyone used the Courtyard Grill.

Pack for layers: we ended up taking a fourth bag for a family of three, just to be sure we could accommodate the range of conditions. We also had to contend with rain our morning in Naples, and end of the day in Rome--not sure if January is still part of the rainy season.

Given the itinerary we had, combined with specialty restaurant dinner reservations each night (free UDP), we didn't have much time to use the courtyard anyway. We also had breakfast in our cabin our three days in Italy in order to be ready for 8am tours...

We loved the Haven--we had a Haven cabin on the Breakaway and we'll only ever book Haven cabins on NCL going forward. I think NCL learned their lesson with the Epic when the created the Breakaway when the enclosed the Haven courtyard (retractable roof). We sailed out of NYC on the Breakaway and were in the pool the first night, as it snowed :) On the Breakaway, we also had breakfast in the courtyard every day--something they don't do on the Epic.

Enjoy you cruise.