Barcelona Four Points Sheraton

karinad

We're cruising out of Barcelona in April r/t. I have some points from SPG that I was planning to use for one night pre-cruise and one post-cruise. Is the Four Points Sheraton Diagonal a bad choice for these nights? Will it be harder to get to or from the port in this location?

My plan is to arrive at BCN around 4pm and go to our hotel. We won't plan much for that evening and will get to the port the next day early afternoon. After we get off the cruise I would like to get a tour to pick us up at the ship and take us to Montserrat and drop us at our hotel after the tour. Our flight home is 9A.M. the next day.

We were in Barcelona years ago and stayed at the very end of Las Ramblas. We don't need to go there again. I'd appreciate any suggestions on tour companies or better choices for hotels. Of course we're trying to spend the least amount of money we could.;)

Hi there! We actually stayed at the Four Points Sheraton for 2 nights before our cruise in July (also using Starwood points). The hotel itself is pretty standard (nothing special, just neat and clean), but the location was great, esp. since we had never been to Barcelona before. It is located on Avenue Diagonal, which has great sidewalks and a central walkway for strolling through Barcelona. There is a mall just a couple of blocks away (I can't recall the name, but if you walk out the front entrance of the Sheraton and turn left on Avenue Diagonal, the mall will be on your right hand side about 2-3 blocks down), and also within walking distance of La Sagrada Familia (about 20 minute walk).

We booked an all-day tour with Barcelona Day Tours and it was well worth the money - we had a WONDERFUL time. They took us everywhere, from Montserrat (incredible) to Parc Guell to La Sagrada Familia. They also picked us up and dropped us off at the Sheraton. They have different tour packages available. I highly recommend them.

We also stayed at the W post-cruise, which is located right next to the port and right on the beach. You can't miss it - it is the crazy looking building that looks like a giant sail. We used Starwood points again to stay there, and it was a lot more modern and expensive than the Sheraton. It was nice for a change (and the nearby restaurants on the beach were great) but I think I prefer a regular hotel like the Sheraton. The frosted glass in the W bathroom is a bit odd!

We took taxis to/from the port, which wasn't bad - I don't think I spent more than 15 euros. The only time we spent more on a cab was going to the airport, due to the bags and the distance (if I recall, it was about $35 euros). One tip - we booked our taxi to the airport on our last morning by using an online service (Barcelona Taxi) because of the early hour, and I'm glad we did! There were no taxis around that early in the morning, just the one we pre-booked (it was 7:30 a.m.)!

Good luck - and have a blast! We absolutely loved Barcelona!

Wow, thanks for the great info! I just got home from having Root Canal, so your reply, the only one I got, was a pleasant one!

I was beginning to think that we should book one night at the Le Meridian on Las Ramblas, but wasn't to impressed with their reviews. Four Points does get some good ones and most people say that it's a real nice location and nice places to eat around it. I did make our reservations for pre & post there and I think I'll leave them there after reading your report.

I had sent an email to Spain Day Tours a few days ago and got a prompt response. I'm not sure if we want to do the half or whole day post cruise. There's only a 30 euro difference pp.

I don't understand why the Four Points is priced so reasonably at $92.a night if using cash and only 4000SPG Points if using points. I guess because it's not on Las Ramblas.

The Sheraton just isn't that fancy (like the W), and the rooms are a bit small, but if you aren't expecting the Ritz or anything, it is just fine. Great location, clean, and reasonable.

I would definitely recommend the full day tour - you may be tired after the cruise, but it is well worth it. Montserrat was my favorite spot in all of Barcelona, so don't miss it! The views are spectacular. The Day Tours company was very prompt at email responses to questions, and our tour guide (Marta) was excellent. (I have to admit, this has cheered me up on a rather rough Monday - memories of our wonderful time in Barcelona always brings a smile to my face!)

Since going on cruises anything bigger then a cruise cabin seems like The Ritz! Seriously, I find the cruise cabins very adequate for 2 people and the Four Points pictures of the property look just fine.

Nothing better to cheer you up then talking about vacation memories or ones that we're hoping to make. This message board has gotten me through more bad times then I care to mention!

Is Spain Day Tours the same company as Barcelona Day Tours? I've seen both mentioned.

Since going on cruises anything bigger then a cruise cabin seems like The Ritz! Seriously, I find the cruise cabins very adequate for 2 people and the Four Points pictures of the property look just fine.

Nothing better to cheer you up then talking about vacation memories or ones that we're hoping to make. This message board has gotten me through more bad times then I care to mention!

Is Spain Day Tours the same company as Barcelona Day Tours? I've seen both mentioned.

Not to mention it is COMMON for rooms in Europe to be much smaller than what we in the US are accustomed to. (Not even getting into the bathrooms - I had one in Florence once that made the bathroom to my interior cabin on the Radiance look palatial.) Whenever I read reviews, if I see "small" in the room description, I look to see where the reviewer is from. If the US, I take it with a grain of salt. If European I give it a little more weight.