Crown vs Caribbean Princess

Veng

We cruised this past May to Alaska with princess on the Crown. Overall, we weren't really impressed. We didn't have a bad time mind you, we just didn't sit around saying "WOW" a lot in regards to the ship. The scenery of course was beautiful and we had a lot of great adventures, but not really wowed. When we cruised with Royal last year we had a lot of those WOW moments. My initial thoughts are to go back to Royal on our next cruise. However, there are some stupid silly cheap cruises leaving out of Houston in the next month or so on the Caribbean princess.

It seems like a similar ship to the crown looking at the deck plans. While I'm sure the demographic will be largely different on an Alaskan vs Caribbean cruise, should I expect the same overall service or something different? One of the big complaints we had on the crown was for many of the shows we wanted to see, they were held in a small venue and we couldn't find a seat. We were also rather annoyed that over half the ships pools were closed at any given time for seemingly no reason on the Crown. Are we going to run into the same issues on the Caribbean Princess?

There is always a rotation of the staff of cruise ships. For that reason, the feel you have about the service and entertainment you witness will vary between the different times you sail on the same ship. If you are disappointed on a ship one year, you may be very pleased on the same ship another year.

I have experienced this on several of the Princess ships that I have sailed on multiple times.

This is just something that you cannot predict or control so you just have to decide if cruising is worth taking that chance. All you can do is to make your comments on the surveys. Praising those staff that please you and fairly criticizing those who displease you is the only thing that will let Princess improve.

There is always a rotation of the staff of cruise ships. For that reason, the feel you have about the service and entertainment you witness will vary between the different times you sail on the same ship. If you are disappointed on a ship one year, you may be very pleased on the same ship another year.

I have experienced this on several of the Princess ships that I have sailed on multiple times.

This is just something that you cannot predict or control so you just have to decide if cruising is worth taking that chance. All you can do is to make your comments on the surveys. Praising those staff that please you and fairly criticizing those who displease you is the only thing that will let Princess improve.

That was kinda what I was afraid the response would be, lol.

A relevant consideration is what were the conditions on the Crown? Were the carpets in good shape, or were they run down and shabby? Was the cabin clean and in good shape? Was the atrium area attractive and comfortable? Were conditions in the public areas kept up? If you liked the physical condition of the Crown, it will be much like the physical condition of the Caribbean Princess. Other than that, the professionalism of the crew and the talent of the entertainers vary from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary. It may depend on what talent is available. One advantage for the Caribbean Princess, though, is that Paul Chandler-Burns is currently the cruise director, and he is hilarious. He also books good entertainment. One of the repeat production shows on the Caribbean Princess, Piano Man, is also very entertaining.

Edited by Mackenzie1

When we were looking at Princess, I spoke with a friend who said she really hadn't thought too much of it and gave a few reasons. Then, in fairness, she named a mutual friend who cruised on the same ship a week later and loved it. She did sat that she really liked the Piazza area, but that in general she felt that the interior areas were "too small" for the number of passengers and that anytime dining was "not smooth." Her point was YMMV--a cruise that she hadn't really liked, a mutual friend loved. We're trying it for ourselves.

A relevant consideration is what were the conditions on the Crown? Were the carpets in good shape, or were they run down and shabby? Was the cabin clean and in good shape? Was the atrium area attractive and comfortable? Were conditions in the public areas kept up? If you liked the physical condition of the Crown, it will be much like the physical condition of the Caribbean Princess. Other than that, the professionalism of the crew and the talent of the entertainers vary from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary. It may depend on what talent is available. One advantage for the Caribbean Princess, though, is that Paul Chandler-Burns is currently the cruise director, and he is hilarious. He also books good entertainment. One of the repeat production shows on the Caribbean Princess, Piano Man, is also very entertaining.

Paul Chandler-Burns is leaving the Caribbean Princess after their current cruise. Bob Leininger is coming aboard this Sunday.

Edited by sonomaphil

We cruised this past May to Alaska with princess on the Crown. Overall, we weren't really impressed. We didn't have a bad time mind you, we just didn't sit around saying "WOW" a lot in regards to the ship. The scenery of course was beautiful and we had a lot of great adventures, but not really wowed. When we cruised with Royal last year we had a lot of those WOW moments. My initial thoughts are to go back to Royal on our next cruise. However, there are some stupid silly cheap cruises leaving out of Houston in the next month or so on the Caribbean princess.

It seems like a similar ship to the crown looking at the deck plans. While I'm sure the demographic will be largely different on an Alaskan vs Caribbean cruise, should I expect the same overall service or something different? One of the big complaints we had on the crown was for many of the shows we wanted to see, they were held in a small venue and we couldn't find a seat. We were also rather annoyed that over half the ships pools were closed at any given time for seemingly no reason on the Crown. Are we going to run into the same issues on the Caribbean Princess?

Honestly, if you weren't pleased with Crown Princess, you probably won't be with Caribbean Princess either. :o

Let me ask....define "WOW" moments. I mean, if you looked at the rock wall and went "WOW" or saw the skating rink and went "WOW" or the zip line made you go "WOW", well, Princess is not for you in general.

As to couldn't find a seat....do you mean you couldn't find a seat in exactly the area you wanted one? Because I've never not found a seat at all in any venue I've been to on Princess.

And yes, the Crown and Caribbean are almost identical.

Edited by sonomaphil

I have sailed recently on the Emerald and the Ruby, sister ships to the

Crown.

I agree with the thought that it depends on what staff/crew are on the ship.

The buffet on both the Ruby and the Emerald has been wonderful. I realize that food is subjective. I like that both ships had plenty of healthy fruits and vegetables at the buffet. The staff behind the counter and in the dining area of the buffet were always first rate.

On both the Ruby and the Emerald, I did not find that the service in the specialty restaurants was as attentive, as "wow," as on the ships with fewer passengers: Star, Grand, Golden, Sapphire, Diamond, and Sun.

I agree that it is harder to find a seat at the shows on the Ruby and the

Emerald. Yes, you can find a seat, but it takes more work or going much earlier. An example, on the Emerald, I was at the crew talent show 25 minutes in advance, but I had to stand along the wall. There might have been a seat or two the middle, but it wasn't worth it to make the whole aisle get up to let me in.

So, all and all, I like the ships with fewer passengers better.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

I have sailed Emerald and Crown, and will be sailing on Caribbean Princess next month so I have at least studied the deck plans. In overall ship design they are fairly close to each other, but Crown is a bit newer, so some of the "faults" in the deck layout of Caribbean Princess have been corrected. From what I have read these seem to be overall minor details like improved traffic flow around the buffet, and a tweak here and there, most notably the change of placement for Skywalkers due to structural issues with the shopping cart handle placement which also shaded the aft pool, also some changes with various minor venues (ice cream bar moved from one side of the ship by the pool to the other, etc.)

Let me ask....define "WOW" moments. I mean, if you looked at the rock wall and went "WOW" or saw the skating rink and went "WOW" or the zip line made you go "WOW", well, Princess is not for you in general.

As to couldn't find a seat....do you mean you couldn't find a seat in exactly the area you wanted one? Because I've never not found a seat at all in any venue I've been to on Princess.

And yes, the Crown and Caribbean are almost identical.

There were several shows that we wanted to see that were held out of the explorer lounge and basically if you didn't show up to claim a seat 30 minutes+ before the show there wasn't one. The princess theater had enough seats.

Honestly, if you weren't pleased with Crown Princess, you probably won't be with Caribbean Princess either. :o

I think this is what I needed to hear, thanks!

Paul Chandler-Burns is leaving the Caribbean Princess after their current cruise. Bob Leininger is coming aboard this Sunday.

Sonomaphil, would you happen to know which ship Paul Chandler-Burns is going to after he leaves the Caribbean Princess this Sunday? I'll update the cruise director list if you do.