Is this type of dress appropriate for formal night?

rockster

I will be going on my first cruise in a few weeks and I'm concerned about what to wear on formal nights (there will be two of them). I would appreciate input from you expert cruisers.

I have this dress that I bought a few years ago that I've never worn. I was thinking of wearing it for formal night but not sure if it is appropriate. I don't even know why I bought it back then, because it's definitely not something I would wear, but at the time I thought it was "fun" and "sexy". anyways, to describe it, it is one shoulder and floor length, has a slit on the side, pretty form fitting, and is sparkly silver covered in sequin type material. In other words, very flashy. Is this inappropriate or "too much"? or would I fit right in? It's actually still sitting in the original shopping bag with the receipt (although it's way too late to return now)

Thanks for any input. Please be honest!

People get worried, especially women, about formal night but it's really not a big deal. I have cruised on royal caribbean, carnival and holland america, and on all three cruise lines I have worn the same type of dress. You will find women who will go all out on fancy formals, and you will find women who wear a simple cocktail dress. It's whatever makes you comfortable. It's a fun deal for "us grownups" to dress like we did for the prom. The dress you described sounds beautiful, and would probably be very nice, if you feel good in it go for it. Usually I wear a cocktail type dress but on my cruise in dec I have gotten a little more formal dress as well as a cocktail dress. I am 43, in reasonably good shape and these are the dresses I bought for my next cruise,I have gotten many compliments from posters on this board and others that they are perfect. Enjoy yourself and I hope this helps.

2256red1.jpg.57a150b61cb79b19561eee247513304f.jpg

2256red4.jpg.2987154dfb58edeaff12b31db33a10ca.jpg

2145523286_donnariccodress.jpg.597372edc05e850fbecff47dc0af588d.jpg

I grew up in New England and I had never really seen glitzy dresses like you describe--until I went on my first cruise. You see everything on people and honestly--your dress sounds like it would fit right in!

Good morning:)

Rockster, your off the shoulder sparkly number sounds perfect:D many gals

love to dress up (including me). I never have the chance here at home

so on a cruise I LOVE IT!

And Kalena, both of your dresses are absolutely beautiful:) I love color

so that red is awesome....and that black is dynamite. I wish I could wear

a halter like that one...that dress is something I would love to try.

Hi for what its worth,

I believe when you are on vaction it a chance to be sexy, and carefree, don't worry what people think. :p Its a chance to get outside your normal day to day routine, so enjoy the week you have in the sun.

Live - Laugh - Love

Lois, the funny thing is I'm going to have to spend more on the decent halter bra to hold up my 38DDD girls, than I did for the dress itself. Just received the black dress today, and it fits me like a glove, another great buy on e-bay, the tags are still on it for 158$, I got it for 60$ YAY!!!! Got the red ress on e-bay to for 82$ with shipping, they even exchanged a size as the first one I ordered was too big. Now to troll e-bay for some SHOES:D Rockster, I too like to wear a little more glitz than I would normally wear at home. I work in a meat shop in a grocery store, not the most glamorous job in the world (it pays the bills). So on a cruise I love to splurge on something fun!!!!

My husband says I spend more money on my clothes for a cruise than I do on the cruise itself:rolleyes: , Oh well I'm not a real clothes horse so it's my one time a year I go crazy. I'm sure you'll be a knockout!!!!

Archived