LIVE From the Serenade of the Seas with Trainman-2 & Judith

Trainman-2

The building with the rusty brown roof contains the Straw Market. It is good sized and contains all of the usual Caribbean products in addition to products specific to Dominica.

The outside taken from the ship

FSCN1249_zpswlzxgqdc.jpg

The inside

FSCN1254_zpsx0xhqtbd.jpg

We got our Refrigerator Magnet and small gifts for Ally and Lyric.

You can see from the photo above that it was a very short walk from the Gang Plank to the Straw Market. But that short walk was just beyond my ability to walk without a rest stop.

I pushed myself to get there and on the way back, RCI had a shaded resting area set up which came in handy.

It was Hot! Really Hot with no breeze and no A/C inside the Straw Market.

Judith "power shopped" and I carried the money! (team work)

After Judith was done checking things out, we were both soaking wet from the heat so we headed back to the ship.

Ally bought a used camper a while back and it turned out to have a leak. She and Lyric drove it to a shop that will (hopefully) fix the leak.

They were all on the roof discussing what had to be done and Ally shot this photo of Lyric in her favorite jammies.

Lyric-C01_zpspoe46pf6.jpg

There is a name for these "thingies" but I can't remember it.

They are reinforced concrete castings used to armor breakwaters where there is potential for heavy wave action. I seem to recall that they were invented during construction of the Panama Canal break waters.

They are self interlocking and can wiggle around in heavy waves without being scattered all over the place.

FSCN1251_zpswkb87gri.jpg

Keep in mind that everything on these islands has to come in by air or sea which is expensive.

One result of this is that "things in being" are often modified on the island to meet specific needs.

This truck is one example.

FSCN1265_zpsnz4tdm7q.jpg

Edited by Trainman-2

In case you didn't notice, the Serenade was tied up at a container port. As we were leaving, a small, "inter island" container ship was headed in, probably to take the space we had just vacated.

FSCN1275_zpskxjueci8.jpg

This ship is unusual because the main structure for the bridge and cabins is on the bow of the ship.

FSCN1277_zpsopc3ulzw.jpg

On the stern is a large ramp that can be lowered so that trucks, trailers, and automobiles can be driven onto and off of the ship.

FSCN1280_zpsedjekhty.jpg

It is small ships like these that keep the islands going because none of them is fully self sufficient.

Judith and I live in the country and it is much easier and cheaper for us to order many of the things we need from Amazon.Com than to drive into town and look for it. I can't help but wonder if the island people can order from Amazon.

We went to Chops for dinner tonight but neither of us was really hungry.

DSCN1289_zpsmateif0t.jpg

The dinner started off with the manager welcoming us and then reminding me that I was supposed to be wearing long pants. But he said he would "sneak" me in, which he did.

The food was pretty good but much of it was just barely warm.

I shot this photo of the sun set through the window but the tinted glass made the colors funny.

FSCN1284_zpspdqihdg3.jpg

There is a name for these "thingies" but I can't remember it.

They are reinforced concrete castings used to armor breakwaters where there is potential for heavy wave action. I seem to recall that they were invented during construction of the Panama Canal break waters.

They are self interlocking and can wiggle around in heavy waves without being scattered all over the place.

FSCN1251_zpswkb87gri.jpg

I just noticed these in St. Maarten and wondered why they looked like the oat shapes in Lucky Charms and what the significance was.

From Chops Last Night...

- Overall, the food was not hot!

- The bread was room temperature and the butter was ice cold and hard as a rock.

DSCN1285_zpsy5jguxuc.jpg

- Twice now we have asked for our asparagus to be fully cooked and it still came out crunchy.

DSCN1294_zps7kae1de6.jpg

- Judith ordered the chicken and it was just barely warm. The topping was cold!

DSCN1291_zpsbnoxt3wq.jpg

- The Peppered Bacon Appetizer was fantastic! A 3/4" thick slab of bacon cooked just right!

DSCN1290_zpsvcfarvmi.jpg

- The Baked Potato was Gigantic and we split one. It was fully cooked but just barely warm and the chunks of butter (which were ice cold) didn't melt.

Judith and I agreed that Roseau was the prettiest of the islands we have visited so far.

I didn't realize until we were gone how few photos I took of the island and its interlocking mini-mountains.

These photos don't do justice to the island.

FSCN1243_zpsnrnehb1e.jpg

FSCN1238_zpsjhodxncw.jpg

FSCN1236_zpsfo18wiek.jpg

FSCN1259_zps4sv7wfud.jpg

Good morning Jim and Judith, welcome to Antigua. Looking at marinetraffic.com, I notice Jewel berthed right beside you. Hard to believe that two weeks ago today, at around this time, we were sitting having breakfast on one of the balconies you are looking over at this morning.

As ever, a splendid visceral cruise, just what I need to address post cruise blues which are still very real!

Edited by madra2112

As always, enjoying your review:) Sorry to hear of the mediocre experience at Chops:(

When we stopped at Dominica 3-4 years ago we did an island tour with "Beno" (Augustine Pascal). It was a perfect day I'd highly recommend him. Can't seem to find a website now, I was sure he had one back then.......

- Overall, the food was not hot!

- The bread was room temperature and the butter was ice cold and hard as a rock.

- Twice now we have asked for our asparagus to be fully cooked and it still came out crunchy.

- Judith ordered the chicken and it was just barely warm. The topping was cold!

- The Peppered Bacon Appetizer was fantastic! A 3/4" thick slab of bacon cooked just right!

- The Baked Potato was Gigantic and we split one. It was fully cooked but just barely warm and the chunks of butter (which were ice cold) didn't melt.

I'm curious....did you bring this their attention? I have always had a good experience at Chops, and would be very disappointed if the food comes out like this? We are on the Serenade right after you and are looking forward to a couple of meals there....