Booking last minute questions

Jenjer

So we have a cruise booked on Escape in June 2016 I have been looking forward to it so much. It was set to be our first Haven cruise too.

Well our female Dr. is having her first baby and she is due the week we are set to leave on our cruise. So its pretty much guarantees she will not be able to work the week we are gone. So we will have to cancel because leaving 3 offices and 1 Dr is just not a good idea for anybody. The joys of owning your own business.

So basically we cannot book anything until maybe at most 6 or 4 weeks before we would go. We are thinking maybe middle of August.

We have never cruised in August is it unbearable Hot in the Caribbean? Its high risk for hurricanes can you buy trip insurance when you book last minute?

Any chance we could get in Haven at the last minute or are the prices the highest ever?

Any other advice for last minute booking? In 10 cruises we have never done a "last minute" especially since we will have to fly in but I think 4 weeks from a trip we could still get reasonable air...right? I usually book a year or more out.

Thank you I have not canceled yet since we are not even close to final payment and I just can't do it.

Hot - yes

hurricanes - yes

Trip insurance - yes

Getting Havens room - hard to say

Unlike airlines, once you get very close to cruise dates, the cruise line does a couple of things. They drop prices a bit trying to get the most rooms sold. They also try to upsell the rooms. Offering people the ability to upgrade for a cost. So havens rooms start to get snatched up.

Ships run rain or shine. The cruise line can change itineraries as they please to keep the passengers safe and sound. This year, ships switched a day before departure from eastern Carib to western to avoid storms.

NCL trip insurance starts covering you as you get into the penalty phase at 90 days out. Before that you can cancel with 100% refund. Insurance covers you if you can't travel (sick, death in family). It does NOT cover you if you decide that you do not want to travel,,,, Hurricane, not covered by the basic insurance,,,,, but if you buy through NCL and get denied by the insurance company, they will give you a portion of your non-refunded fare as credit toward a future cruise.