Is it OK to use walkie talkies?

CruiseMAMA2

While we are focusing on walkie talkies, this is only one aspect of a much larger problem-that of respecting others.

Quite simply, it is normally not acceptable to subject other people to unwanted noise, music, or other intrusion. This holds true for blasting amps in cars, playing boom boxes loudly at the beach or other public areas, conversations in movies that can be heard by others, or inane talk on cell phones and walkie talkies.

Certain rare exceptions are understandable in some circumstances, but it should be kept to the minimum possible in order to address the situation that cannot otherwise be handled.

We hear a lot of talk about "rights." Well, that is only half of the equation. Every right has inherent responsibilites. For example the right to bear arms includes the responsibility to do so without endangering others. The right to the pursuit of happiness implies the responsibility of doing so without depriving others of their similar pursuit. And, the right to use walkie talkies presumes the responsibility to ensure that others are not needlessly disturbed.

So, my point is that walkie talkies and cell phones may be used if they don't bother other people. That means being courteous and diligent in the purpose, time and place of their use.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Great post Bob. That just about sums the whole thing up as far as I am concerned and indeed maybe exactly what the person who originally asked the question had in mind. If it was, I am glad you are doing this instead of what Dude and his followers suggest.

Phil

Well, isn't that attitude what it all boils down to? The op asked if it was OK to use walkie talkies and and that has been answered to death. Use them if you must, but be considerate of others around you. What is so hard about that? Your attitude of "I could care less" says a lot. I do care that I am not bothering any one else and that I am kind and considerate.

I go on cruises to enjoy myself also, but not at the expense of someone elses comfort.

:D :D :D :D :D

Thsi debate happens at least once a month. I think it is time to give this one a rest at least until someone posts the question in a new thread.

While I TOTALLY agree with you, and have posted this 'argument' before, the argument just never seems to hold water, because, like dogs with bones, people refuse to let go. (And I admit to this as well).

Other examples: Monthly discussions of dress code, monthly discussions of smoking, monthly discussions of sumggling, monthly discussions of 'who is the cruise director on ....', monthly discussions on dining with the captain.

It's all very repititious. We just have to learn to look past the noise I guess. Often, I am completely convinced that there are posts made with the sole intention of turning up the volume on the noise.

There is no new information here, been there done that so to speak.

Regards

Tbelian,

I agree with you, sort of. When i was new on RCCL, I asked the board about many of the things you just mentioned. I was pummelled for bringing up that old topic again. It's easy for those who take many cruises to think folks are just trying to stir up the pot but sometimes, they're just newbies with genuine questions. When I started posting, someone said that my post count being low meant I was a veteran parading as a newbie just to troll. It was a confusing time.

I think the other side of this is that when folks answer newbies with incorrect information (dress however you like, bring your walkie-talkies, bring your boxes of wine), those with other/better knowledge feel the need to pipe in, lest the newbie actually believe the information and, as a result, the cruise experience will change unalterably. I think that is why folks voice their opinions so strongly. They're not really expecting to change the minds of folks like crazy dude, they're hoping to tell the newbies that it really isn't this way and, in some way, are trying to preserve the cruise experience they have enjoyed. Crazy is either selfish or he's starting a movement so the style of the cruise will bend in his direction.

I think the best part of the cruise is not so much the food (though it will be awesome), the service (awesome) or the fact that we get to cruise at all (totally awesome). The best part is enjoying the holiday, and being on a trip where people are considerate and friendly. Crazy et al, by your attitude it sounds as though there should be no rules.... well, I am GLAD there are rules about the dress codes etc. To be really clear for you - don't bring the walkie talkies. If you do it just proves that you really are are 'Carnival" or 'P & O' type of guy.... to quote Seinfeld - "Not that there is anything wrong with that!"

I did post previously that you should be considerate and use it at a minimum, but clearly that is too hard for some people. I don't know how you lived five years ago before the walkie talkies , or how you ever survived twenty years ago without your cell phone. Were you ever safe?? I am glad that you can live now in complete safety. :D ;) :D

Enjoy the P&O.... :D

When i was new on RCCL, I asked the board about many of the things you just mentioned. I was pummelled for bringing up that old topic again.

The biggest friend ANYONE who posts to a message board can have is a full and complete knowledge of how to use the search function, and virtually all message boards have this capability. Admonishing someone about 'bringing up that old topic again' is not something special about cruise critic. It happens in EVERY message board I have ever participated in. Without question, people feel it is simply easier to ask the question again, rather than take the time to search for their answer first.

It particularly puzzles me when someone posts 'hey I'm a newbie, how should I dress?', and right there ON THE VERY FIRST PAGE of the board is another post asking essentially the same question. They wouldn't even have to know how to search, just how to scroll down! (This is simply an example, but it does happen).

It particularly puzzles me when someone posts 'hey I'm a newbie, how should I dress?', and right there ON THE VERY FIRST PAGE of the board is another post asking essentially the same question. They wouldn't even have to know how to search, just how to scroll down! (This is simply an example, but it does happen).

Well, that is a bit nutty. It's like students who mis-spell word on test papers when the correct spelling has been provided in the question.

That said, the search function on CC is anything but ideal. Even when you try to limit your search parameter to the titles of posts, vast numbers of posts are reported that do not include one's search word. Another shortcoming is that so many folks post their "credentials" in their posts by naming every flinging-flanging ship they've been on in their signature line. While this helps people identify what cruises you've taken and which ships you can offer help on, if you use the ship's name in the search function, you are out of luck. You might as well search by the word "the."

On internet boards, even though the hosts or moderators are the board's official custodian, veteran posters have a tendency to "own" the boards and tell people what they can and cannot post on. While I agree with you that sometimes, we all need to "post smarter" I think that the nature of a travel board is that there will be constantly people planning their first cruise and asking newbie questions. Maybe CC needs a few more unbiased FAQ's for new cruisers.

Schplinky,

Essentially, we agree. But, 'the net' has just become basicaly 'CLOGGED' with crappola. It's like the whole 'pipe' needs a massive dose of bitdraino.

For examples, years 'back', when the net was new (er), one would get banned from a message board for having a sig line that was too long. It's just not the same today. I 'wonder' why CC has all the problems it has (technical), but, then again, I guess I really don't. By the way 'vbulletin' is not one of the world's greatest message board platforms (but then again, neither was info 'poop').

You are right, we all need to post smarter.

I just ordered a set.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90132258&loc=111&sp=1

Now off to get my GMRS FCC license. My next question is how many actually have GMRS licenses that use these radios?

Very nearly zero, I'd guess.

Also, read those docs, because when you really do want the full 1W power, it's not going to be available on the FRS-only channels -- the manufacturers typically see to that.

I liked the Midland ones because they offered 100mW, 500mW and 1W settings. When not too far away, 100mW was plenty and did a lot to conserve batteries.

For examples, years 'back', when the net was new (er), one would get banned from a message board for having a sig line that was too long. It's just not the same today.
But of course, those of us who had hard drives were running our bulletin board systems on those huge 20MB ~ 100MB (100MB was an absolute monster of a drive !!!) drives back then, too... depending upon how far 'back' you mean! Times / hardware have changed just a bit since then. Back then, the majority of boards/echos/newsgroups were moderated. Now, the S/N ratio on "the net" is so bad I don't even bother with newsgroups anymore. For all of its other faults, Fido with its requirement for moderators for nationally distributed "echos" had the right idea.

These days, I stick to moderated message boards or closed listservers.

By all means bring them. Some people are not happy unless they have reason to complain, and they will no doubt find a million other faults with the majority of us. To tell you to go on Carnival as if condemning you is a joke. Can we condemn them to watch Barney for 100 hours in hopes of learning manners?

In the tight confines of a ship, we can all be annoyed by those smokers, those who walk too slow, elevator hogs, etc. It's best if we grow up and realize that the world does not revolve around us no matter how superior we think we are, and that our OPINIONS are just that and not gospel.

I would rather hear someone say "I love you" on a walkie talkie than see some snob pride themself on glaring or looking down their nose because of their

judging someone else.

For those who think Celebrity is some ship that only caters to their snootiness, 3 points:

You're a very small minority. Many considerate,normal, mainstream people also sail.

Take a vacation from your self-righteousness.

The Titanic might be just right for you.

Becky,

You might do yourself a favor and try to understand that what most people are objecting to is not the discreet use of walkie-talkies by considerate people but the attitude of "I'll do what I please and I don't care how obnoxious I am."

Your post is not exactly charming either.

In the tight confines of a ship, we can all be annoyed by those smokers, those who walk too slow, elevator hogs, etc. It's best if we grow up and realize that the world does not revolve around us no matter how superior we think we are, and that our OPINIONS are just that and not gospel.

I would say that the majority of the people would rather not have the "MISS-USED" walkie-talkies on their ship. Lets face it the wants and needs of the many outweigh the wants and needs of the few.

I fail to see what snootty has to do with good manners.

You can still be considerate and have your nose in the air.:eek: :D

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and have not found any snooty people, but I have seen some boorish behavior.

I think the Golden Rule has been forgotten by some.

They are invaluable while in port, and they do provide security by giving you a way to make contact with someone else in an emergency. Sometimes when in a foreign port they are your only way to communicate quickly and effectively.

jc

The radios are licensed by the FCC for use in the US on US spectrum. That means they are not legal in the territorial limits of any foreign government unless that government has approved them. The only other governments that allows them are Canada, and Mexico allows use of some channels.

Becky,

Your self-esteem issues aside, your post is quite a contradiction. You see everyone as looking down their noses at you (likely, they don't even notice you) and yet your post is full of the same type of sentiments. You say you would rather hear "I love you" but there is no kindness, let alone love, in your email. I'm glad that many "mainstream and normal" people sail. Hopefully, they can have a discussion without dropping to the level of your email. I look forward to meeting them.

Not to dwell on something, but here is a 'classic' example of something I was referring to in my earlier post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4842275#post4842275

People just don't take the time to look.

Dwelling? On the internet? Never!

Your point is well taken and understood. I'm afraid, though, that if you are truly annoyed by this sort of thing, the internet is no lnoger the place for you. Folks want the very best information for the least amount of effort. You see it all the time that someone will post a whole laundry list of questions in one post and then get annoyed that only one of their questions was answered or, more likely, that the whole thread got highjacked because of a tangent someone goes off on. Of course, we're doing that now but that's just us.

I think that increasingly, the internet requires more stamina than it used to and, for sure, getting "new" information on a board like this requires you to re-read a lot of the same issues habitually.

I'm afraid, though, that if you are truly annoyed by this sort of thing, the internet is no lnoger the place for you.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it's part of 'what i do', so it's unavoidable.

It doesn't annoy me, because I do look past the noise. I'm trying to campaign for it to be a better place for others. :)

Fortunately or unfortunately, it's part of 'what i do', so it's unavoidable.

It doesn't annoy me, because I do look past the noise. I'm trying to campaign for it to be a better place for others. :)

sounds good to me. I'm doing my best not be a part of the noise but sometimes, my send button gets clicked before my "tact" button is clicked.

You've proved my point about the speed at which people judge. I've never felt looked down on but am so disappointed with the self-righteous, superior attitudes of many on these boards and witnessed aboard towards others, not me. I am taking up for the often misunderstood "underdog". Remember the Indian proverb about not judging someone until you've walked a day in their shoes. I will agree there are clods, but there are much more normal people who are unfairly judged and abused by too many who perhaps should remove the plank from their eye before they worry about someone else's splinter. Isn't tolerance the P.C. way to be?

Archived