Is Millennium right for us?

ael123

For those of you who have sailed on Celebrity can you help me? My husband and I are in our mid 40's. We cruise about four times a year usually with Oceania. Due to our work schedule we cannot sail with Oceania. We have two weeks off at Christmas beginning late Dec. 23. Oceania's ships all leave before that date or on Dec. 23 but are from Asia and we would have to leave by Dec. 21 to get to the cruise. We both work for the same employer and cannot take off sick on the same days together. Millennium has a cruise leaving Dec. 24 returning January 8 that is perfect for our schedule. However, I am apprehensive because we don't like to go on cruise lines where there are unsupervised bored children or children screaming in the dining room. We need the two weeks to relax. The quality of the food and the service is important. We are looking for a no stress, no aggravation trip. We always get that on Oceania and the food and service are excellent. Do you think that our needs can be met by Celebrity over the Christmas hollidays? Can we get the rest, relaxation, comfort and service we are looking for on the Millennium:confused:

Being that you are cruising over the holidays, there will be an increased number of children.

Being that you are looking at a two week cruise, there will be less children than a shorter cruise.

Saying that, Celebrity does a good job with their children's program keeping the kids out of site. On the whole we have never had a problem with kids on Celebrity, even when we have taken New Years sailings.

Celebrity will be a different experience for you given the larger ships.

But on the whole, you should have a great time. Just go in realizing Celebrity is the best of the mass market lines as opposed to a luxury line.

For those of you who have sailed on Celebrity can you help me? My husband and I are in our mid 40's. We cruise about four times a year usually with Oceania. Due to our work schedule we cannot sail with Oceania. We have two weeks off at Christmas beginning late Dec. 23. Oceania's ships all leave before that date or on Dec. 23 but are from Asia and we would have to leave by Dec. 21 to get to the cruise. We both work for the same employer and cannot take off sick on the same days together. Millennium has a cruise leaving Dec. 24 returning January 8 that is perfect for our schedule. However, I am apprehensive because we don't like to go on cruise lines where there are unsupervised bored children or children screaming in the dining room. We need the two weeks to relax. The quality of the food and the service is important. We are looking for a no stress, no aggravation trip. We always get that on Oceania and the food and service are excellent. Do you think that our needs can be met by Celebrity over the Christmas hollidays? Can we get the rest, relaxation, comfort and service we are looking for on the Millennium:confused:

There is a rollcall for the millennium 12/24/05 sailing to South America.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=229497

al

:D

I am with you on kids. And your first response was correct. On a two week you should run into much fewer kids.

Now on the other hand, you will LOVE X. For a big ship, the entire Millie class is wonderful. And if you have any noisy kids in the dining room (we never have) you can always eat in the alternative restaurant (will cost you $30 but worth every penny) where children are hardly ever seen.

Lastly, be warned. Once you cruise X you may never go back. We haven't and we have done other cruise lines. Never again.

I doubt that kids will be an issue on the 12/24 Millennium cruise. Airfare as well as school schedules would discourage many famliles. With all those sea days, you will definitely have plenty of time for relaxing. Food and service were the best we have experienced on any ship (including other X ships), but staff does change over when their contracts are up and we sailed the Millennium before the current or new staff. The passengers will probably be your age and above, many already retired. I think this would be a good cruise for you.

I've sailed both Oceania and Celebrity. You will definitely see more children on Millennium, but I agree with the above posters...perhaps not as many as on a shorter cruise.

We are sold on the service and dining experience on Oceania, altho Celebrity is our choice among mainstream cruiselines. I would rank dining on Oceania a 9.5 and Celebrity a 7.5. Service would be a very close call...Celebrity a little more consistent overall. Staff on Oceania are a little more distant- you'll get to know your waiter and cabin steward very well on Millennium. Altho Millennium is a HUGE ship by comparison we have never felt overwhelmed by masses of bodies on any of their ships at any time.

It's great to branch out and try different things. I'd have no problem choosing Millennium over Regatta based on itinerary, timing and price. Best wishes to you!

Just back from a 12 night Millennium Med. cruise (we are in the same age group and we were also a little apprehensive about potentially noisy children). Maybe because of the dates (i.e. during term time) or the intinerary but we saw only around 3-4 very well-behaved children and there were none in the Metropolitan restaurant during the 20.45 late seating dinner. We have nothing but praise for the entire experience and are still trying hard to come back down to earth. Our only slight regret is that we didn't have more time on board! My advice...book now and if you can reserve one of the 4 Concierge class staterooms on deck 6 with the larger balconies, do so....we loved it!

Archived