Loyal Royal now NCL newbie

Beachin2

Greetings,

We just booked the NCL Jewel for a January get away to Mexico R/T from LA since we easily drive to that port. We have done a fair amount of cruising, but all on Royal.

What will the big differences be? Anything glaring we should be prepared for?

We've only been on the Dawn but after being loyal to Royal for many years, we're going to stick with NCL. (at least for awhile)

The food is better, staff friendlier & the atmosphere is much more relaxed. We love having breakfast & lunch in the MDR & not being forced to dine with strangers. Also great to have hot food & wait service available in the wee hours of the morning.

The buffet is not as well designed as Royal's & it has no service to speak of. After several cruises, we still can't figure out where to find what we want. Cabins are smaller & not as well designed & the pool is amazingly small. Also, the RCCL beverage package includes bottled water but NCL doesn't. BUT.......... you're allowed to bring water & soda on where it's hit or miss with RCCL.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Enjoy!!

Diamond plus on Royal saw the Getaway at one of our ports and thought we would give them a try interested in checking out this freestyle cruising. Just got off the Getaway Thursday for the third time and boarding tomorrow for 6 days and on the Escape Dec 5 for 7 days. Been also on the Pearl and the Star and after Dec we will be Platinum on NCL with 6 more bookings. I guess you could say we Like NCL and there freestyle cruising. If you get the chance book the haven really nice suite area.

Diamond plus on Royal saw the Getaway at one of our ports and thought we would give them a try interested in checking out this freestyle cruising. Just got off the Getaway Thursday for the third time and boarding tomorrow for 6 days and on the Escape Dec 5 for 7 days. Been also on the Pearl and the Star and after Dec we will be Platinum on NCL with 6 more bookings. I guess you could say we Like NCL and there freestyle cruising. If you get the chance book the haven really nice suite area.

Glad you have enjoyed sailing NCL. This is only my second time sailing with them. I have sailed Carnival and Royal several times each. I haven't cruised in a while, as my DH prefers laying on an island. I am looking forward to my Gem sailing, but have been getting a little nervous because of all the negative reviews. Your post has made me feel much better, thanks

We've only been on the Dawn but after being loyal to Royal for many years, we're going to stick with NCL. (at least for awhile)

The food is better, staff friendlier & the atmosphere is much more relaxed. We love having breakfast & lunch in the MDR & not being forced to dine with strangers. Also great to have hot food & wait service available in the wee hours of the morning.

The buffet is not as well designed as Royal's & it has no service to speak of. After several cruises, we still can't figure out where to find what we want. Cabins are smaller & not as well designed & the pool is amazingly small. Also, the RCCL beverage package includes bottled water but NCL doesn't. BUT.......... you're allowed to bring water & soda on where it's hit or miss with RCCL.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Enjoy!!

why are you forced to eat with strangers on RCI?

Bill

why are you forced to eat with strangers on RCI?

Bill

They have what they call Open Seating at breakfast & lunch. What it boils down to is they seat you at large tables with many other people. If you ask, they will seat you with your party only however when you consider the wait & attitude you're made to feel like a pariah.

It's so much more pleasant on NCL.

I've been cruising both Royal and NCL. Currently Diamond with Royal and Gold with NCL with just few cruises away from Platinum.

They are basically the same on the average on all aspects, except that loyalty program NCL is no match for Royal.

NCL doesn't give you an exclusive private lounge with free premium coffee all day and free flowing drinks during happy hours, balcony and suite discounts, free internet and photo .. nor NCL has reciprocal elite benefits with their sister company Star Cruises.

Another thing NCL is known for last minute heavy price drops, so I usually book NCL cruises less than a month before sailing even if I've been looking at that sailing for over a year and have already booked flights and hotels way earlier for that cruise.

I've been cruising both Royal and NCL. Currently Diamond with Royal and Gold with NCL with just few cruises away from Platinum.

They are basically the same on the average on all aspects, except that loyalty program NCL is no match for Royal.

NCL doesn't give you an exclusive private lounge with free premium coffee all day and free flowing drinks during happy hours, balcony and suite discounts, free internet and photo .. nor NCL has reciprocal elite benefits with their sister company Star Cruises.

Another thing NCL is known for last minute heavy price drops, so I usually book NCL cruises less than a month before sailing even if I've been looking at that sailing for over a year and have already booked flights and hotels way earlier for that cruise.

You can usually now get a perk where all of your drinks are included (except specialty coffees and bottled water) so no need for a happy hour.

Heads up that there is a new change -- any cruise booked within 30 days of sailing does not come with any perks, so if you want the drink package or dining, etc. you have to book it earlier than the month before.

You can usually now get a perk where all of your drinks are included (except specialty coffees and bottled water) so no need for a happy hour.

Heads up that there is a new change -- any cruise booked within 30 days of sailing does not come with any perks, so if you want the drink package or dining, etc. you have to book it earlier than the month before.

I'm familiar with the recent change, but even with the perks removed, the huge drop less than a month prior to sailing more than make up for the missing perks.

RCCL did away with this... but since they took care of their brand name better than NCL, they are still earning even without resorting to last minute huge price drop to sell those last minute empty cabins.

That is why for RCCL, I book cruises 2 years in advance now to get the best price while for NCL, I book last minute to get those ridiculous discounts.

NCL's direction lately is to earn as much money as possible for the shareholders (all those nickle and diming lately), so it makes business sense to drop the price in the last minute rather than sail with empty cabins which is already considered sunk costs.. while RCCL is focused more on keeping us happy, as last minute price drops after final payment irks us, so they did away with it and they do sail with empty cabins, that is why RCCL has a huge base of loyal customers.

Edited by roquejo

I'm familiar with the recent change, but even with the perks removed, the huge drop less than a month prior to sailing more than make up for the missing perks.

RCCL did away with this... but since they took care of their brand name better than NCL, they are still earning even without resorting to last minute huge price drop to sell those last minute empty cabins.

That is why for RCCL, I book cruises 2 years in advance now to get the best price while for NCL, I book last minute to get those ridiculous discounts.

Good, just wanted to be sure you were aware. I agree, those last minute price drops are great.

Thanks all - we are also D+ on Royal ("Mini Pinnie" since we hit 350 points).

What's the "real" skinny on NCL dress code without starting a flaming dress code thread? Looks way more casual - which we are way cool with.

Casual. You'll only have Le Bistro that requires nice long pants and collars shirts, etc.. I've seen folks in Cagney's with shorts on, for example.

They do have at least one "dress up or not night". They have the photographers set up around the ship for photo's if you want. They also usually have a section in the MDR where people who chose to dress up can eat along side others who did the same.

One convenience NCL provides is you are not required to bring formal wear, so more space for your luggage and possibly less shoes for some.

So imagine tonight you wore formal shoes as it is formal night and by tomorrow you'll be hiking during a shore excursion so need another shoe for that... shoes take a lot of luggage space.

In RCCL, you cannot eat at MDR or specialty restaurants during formal nights without those formal wear, except in Quantum classes where there are no formal nights, but just a formal restaurant.

But Celebrity just did away with strictly formal nights so there is a good chance that RCCL will soon follow.

Casual. You'll only have Le Bistro that requires nice long pants and collars shirts, etc.. I've seen folks in Cagney's with shorts on, for example.

They do have at least one "dress up or not night". They have the photographers set up around the ship for photo's if you want. They also usually have a section in the MDR where people who chose to dress up can eat along side others who did the same.

I'm pretty sure long pants were required @ dinner in the largest of the MDR's on the Dawn. I believe it's considered the "formal" dining room.

Not sure about the Jewel since it's a smaller ship than the ones we have gone on with NCL but I have found that the specialty dining made the cruise for us...we tried the MDR on Epic and BA but found the service soooo slow and unattentive (but that could be just our luck), so since then I have booked the UDP and never looked back.

Good point regarding RCCL cruises - I missed out a Dec 2016 cruise and the price jumped almost $1K for a cabin of 4

They do have at least one "dress up or not night". They have the photographers set up around the ship for photo's if you want. They also usually have a section in the MDR where people who chose to dress up can eat along side others who ;did the same.

Shorts are allowed at dinner in all venues except the aft MDR and Le Bistro, even on the very optional Norwegian's Night Out, or Dress Up or NOT Night. Those two venues resquire long pants for men, even jeans are ok. Closed toe shoes as well.

On Dress Up or Not Night, or any other night, no one is segregated according to dress. If you choose to dress up, you may very well be seated next to someone in jeans or shorts depending on the venue. You will see people who dress up on any night....or not.;)

Greetings,

We just booked the NCL Jewel for a January get away to Mexico R/T from LA since we easily drive to that port. We have done a fair amount of cruising, but all on Royal.

What will the big differences be? Anything glaring we should be prepared for?

My view and I haven't cruised RCI for a long time, so may not be the same opinion that others have. First of all NCL offers better dining and more choices, but RCI willl have slightly larger cabins, depending on what class ship you are accustom to cruising. The entetainment will be equal, with NCL maybe holding a slight edge. For us, the biggest difference was service. We just think NCL has a friendlier, and better crew. All in all I don't think you will find the lines much different.

My view and I haven't cruised RCI for a long time, so may not be the same opinion that others have. First of all NCL offers better dining and more choices, but RCI willl have slightly larger cabins, depending on what class ship you are accustom to cruising. The entetainment will be equal, with NCL maybe holding a slight edge. For us, the biggest difference was service. We just think NCL has a friendlier, and better crew. All in all I don't think you will find the lines much different.

NCL has some very good entertainment but IMHO RCI's entertainment is the best of the mass market cruise lines.

Just like NCL, there have been many changes at RCI in the last 7 years since you have sailed with them.:)

Bill

I'm pretty sure long pants were required @ dinner in the largest of the MDR's on the Dawn. I believe it's considered the "formal" dining room.

Only restaurants requiring smart casual dress code on any ship are aft MDR and Le Bistro (according to official FAQ, some recent reports from Escape say that there are more restrictions on her).

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

But then again, the level of enforcing the rules by different maitre d's has been varying.

Been on many lines over the years and for us, RCCL beats NCL hands down. You've got to look at the entire package and what's your value points.

Take the specialty restaraunts for example. They are a nice touch but we find many foods included in RCCL MDR is only available in the NCL specialties and no where to be seen in the NCL MDR. There's been a recent thread about Prime Rib and a MDR upcharge foe an oversized portion. This would be ok but NCL is silent on whether the normal size portion is still being offered.

Its things like that, that only add to the nickle and dining reputation as there "appears" to be many more fees on NCL than other line which is like a the old china water torture that drives us absolutely nuts by he end of the voyage.

Don't get me wrong, we sail on NCL when it suits us, we just have much lower expectations.

Only restaurants requiring smart casual dress code on any ship are aft MDR and Le Bistro (according to official FAQ, some recent reports from Escape say that there are more restrictions on her).

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

But then again, the level of enforcing the rules by different maitre d's has been varying.

We were on the Escape last week for the 3-day sailing, and the only dining venues that required long pants were LeBistro and one of the other speciality restaurants, if I recall. I'd have to check the Dailies, which are at home and I'm at work. My DH wore shorts to all 3 of the MDRs, and we confirmed that he could in the Dailies before going to the the Manhattan Room (aft on the Escape).

OP, NCL's dress code is really casual. Enjoy your cruise!