How can I help make your visit better?

drake2014

Hi, my sis and I will be in St Croix first week in Dec for a day. We are looking for a beach where we could rent chairs & umbrella, with calm water. We will be taking a taxi from the pier where the cruise ships dock.

I've been searching your posts, you are so helpful! Is sandcastle beach the place to go. Is it a restaurant/ hotel? Or is it just a beach. This will be our 1st time in magnificent St Croix.

Thanks for your help, Kathy

It sounds like Sandcastle will be a great fit for you guys! It is a hotel on the beach with a restaurant and bar facilities as well as a pool and patio. They have chairs and umbrellas for rent and special deals for the cruise ship passengers. I hope you enjoy it!

So here's my questions Drake, hope you can help. We're going to be docking in January and thinking of visiting the St George Village Botanical Gardens. First how long of a taxi ride would it be from the dock, and second do you know if there's much in bloom that time of year? We live where everything is covered in snow in January, so anything with colour to photograph is great. Thanks.

So here's my questions Drake, hope you can help. We're going to be docking in January and thinking of visiting the St George Village Botanical Gardens. First how long of a taxi ride would it be from the dock, and second do you know if there's much in bloom that time of year? We live where everything is covered in snow in January, so anything with colour to photograph is great. Thanks.

It's about 15 minutes by taxi, about 5 miles. Should cost about $10 for a single person, $15 for 2 people.

Plenty of flowers in bloom year round, it's the tropics buddy!

What is the distance from the cruise ship to Freedom City and how much further is it to Rainbow Beach. You can walk to Freedom City can't you?

Less than half a mile, it's an easy walk to Freedom City. Rainbow is quite a bit further up, I would recommend a taxi to get there.

Hi Drake,

4 of us are stopping in St. Croix for a day on a cruise in April. We are lovers of snorkeling and sailing and are wondering if you have any day sail recommendations. We previously contacted Bilinda but it wasn't quite our cup of tea -- didn't want to charter the entire boat $$$. We've been very lucky to find great sailing opportunities and really hope to find a great opportunity is St. Croix. Please help!

Lauryn

First time visit to STX and looking for fun, low key beach bar within a short walking distance. Am I reading correctly that Freedom City Beach Bar is an option? Looks from their website that they do not open until 11am. Does that sound accurate Drake? We get into port at 8am so will need to find something else to do before they open. (And is it best to walk along the beach or the road to get there?)

Any other options for a fun beach bar? :D

Edited by Kristin1112

Hi Drake,

4 of us are stopping in St. Croix for a day on a cruise in April. We are lovers of snorkeling and sailing and are wondering if you have any day sail recommendations. We previously contacted Bilinda but it wasn't quite our cup of tea -- didn't want to charter the entire boat $$$. We've been very lucky to find great sailing opportunities and really hope to find a great opportunity is St. Croix. Please help!

Lauryn

Check out Big Beards and go to buck island, that's the best of both worlds.

http://www.bigbeards.com/contact.shtml

First time visit to STX and looking for fun, low key beach bar within a short walking distance. Am I reading correctly that Freedom City Beach Bar is an option? Looks from their website that they do not open until 11am. Does that sound accurate Drake? We get into port at 8am so will need to find something else to do before they open. (And is it best to walk along the beach or the road to get there?)

Any other options for a fun beach bar? :D

Yeah Freedom City is where you want to be. Don't worry about the time, they'll be open by the time your ship docks.

We're first time visitors to St. Croix this January. We had planned to get to Christiansted to go to the brewpub, but a recent review indicates equipment problems and they have none of their own beer available. We are wondering if there are other places where we might find local craft beer offerings (and I'm not talking about Caribe).

We're first time visitors to St. Croix this January. We had planned to get to Christiansted to go to the brewpub, but a recent review indicates equipment problems and they have none of their own beer available. We are wondering if there are other places where we might find local craft beer offerings (and I'm not talking about Caribe).

Sorry but they are really all we've got. You'll find bottles from St. John Brewers at various bars, but that's about it.

We will be there in Feb. In the four ports we would like to Dive, Snorkel, sit on beach in shade with a beautiful view and a bar, and sight see. Which would you recommend for St Croix?

Dive! We have some of the best diving in the world!

Hook up with SCUBA at (340) 773-5994 or 877-567-1367

Or with N2theBlue at (340) 772-3483

Just let them know what ship you're on and how long you'll be in port and either place will help you plan the dive of a lifetime here!

I hope you enjoy it!

Dive! We have some of the best diving in the world!

Hook up with SCUBA at (340) 773-5994 or 877-567-1367

Or with N2theBlue at (340) 772-3483

Just let them know what ship you're on and how long you'll be in port and either place will help you plan the dive of a lifetime here!

I hope you enjoy it!

So diving it is! Now do you have any suggestions for a self guided walking tour we could do after the dive as time permits. Or a local bar to hang out at for a while - maybe something with a view? We won't have time to go to Cruzan but do they have any tasting rooms in town?

Thanks, Julia

So diving it is! Now do you have any suggestions for a self guided walking tour we could do after the dive as time permits. Or a local bar to hang out at for a while - maybe something with a view? We won't have time to go to Cruzan but do they have any tasting rooms in town?

Thanks, Julia

Self guided? Feel free to wander Frederiksted and check out the historical buildings and the fort. Or you can hook up with CHANT for their walking tour.

Hit Pier 69 for a local bar or Lost Dog Pub for a dive bar. For a view you could hit Turtles After Dark or Freedom City.

Edited by drake2014

Is Sandy Point a good place for swimming/beach time? About how far from the port and about how much please?

Sure but it's completely undeveloped (it's a nature reserve after all) so you wont be able to get amenities or food and drinks. You'll have to pack in everything you need and pack out any trash you create. It's about a 10 minute walk from the parking lot to the beach. Add time if you want to go further down the beach.

As has been discussed on another thread, if your ship comes in during the week I make no guarantees that the park will be open.

It's roughly 3 miles from the pier to the parking lot at the refuge. A taxi will cost you about $5 per person, make sure to arrange the return trip!

Drake,

We will be on the Jewel of the Seas cruise ship the day of the upcoming big parade, Jan.2.

We sea that you've said the parade should be on the 2nd street from the dock. That's very convenient for us. But what time should the parade pass thru that area? Hear good things about your parade and want to be there on time and take lots pf pictures.

One more thing, is that also the day that the beer drinking pigs get the day off?

Thanks!

Rick and Deirdra

Or you can hook up with CHANT for their walking tour.

The CHANT web site had all their tours in the morning which would be when we are diving. I would even purchase a self guided map with info on each spot if they had one (basically reading what the guide would have told you)

Sorry but they are really all we've got. You'll find bottles from St. John Brewers at various bars, but that's about it.

Darn. We haven't been able to find anything else that's up our alley so we probably will go the brewpub for lunch and support them anyway.

Drake,

We have been looking quite a bit into excursions. We are coming in February. At first we thought about going to Buck Island but we are docking in Fredericksted.... So now we are thinking beach with activities... We have stubbled upon Freedom City for some paddle boarding... However there's no information for pricing, etc... Is this a place you'd recommend? Is the beach good and does it have a bar, grill, etc... Thanks

The CHANT web site had all their tours in the morning which would be when we are diving. I would even purchase a self guided map with info on each spot if they had one (basically reading what the guide would have told you)

I would recommend you call them to see if they can work with you, they may be flexible on the tour times. Or maybe they can point you another direction that's a better fit. Either way, call them. Phone: 340-719-5455