Roatan snorkeling?

Beaver1975

Please save your breath telling me to post this on the Roatan board. I did, and received no response.

Has anyone here snorkeled at both Tabayana Beach and Maya Key that can give a comparison as related to snorkeling quality?

I cant answer your question, but I will tell you I have scuba dived all over the Caribbean and have had the most remarkable dives in Roatan. Visibility there is typically outstanding, the reefs seem to be in very good shape, the sea live is plentiful. I would venture to say that either location will be spectacular.

6&8

I have not, but here is some info>http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k7681462-Tabyana_Beach_or_Maya_Key_which_one-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Please save your breath telling me to post this on the Roatan board. I did, and received no response.

Has anyone here snorkeled at both Tabayana Beach and Maya Key that can give a comparison as related to snorkeling quality?

Your in luck! We did Tabayana beach two years ago and Maya Cay last February.

The amount of fish and coral is really a toss up. At Tabayana you walk out from the beach which is pretty nice. At Maya Cay you walk out a long dock then drop in the water which is 3-5 ft deep, and follow a rope out to the beginning of the ledge.

We liked Maya Cay better, its a 5 minute boat ride from the same pier the ship is docked compared to a 45 bus / car ride. Maya Cay even when sold out had a lot less people, Tabayana was packed the the vendors selling their crap was annoying

Edited by Laszlo

We didn't do either of ease but we did book with Alex at Roatan Eco tours and can not imagine having a better experience on Roatan. Look them up on tripadvisor....all great reviews.

We lived in Roatan for 4 years and the ONLY place we snorkeled was WBB (where Tabyana is located). If you're at Tabyana, face the water and turn left. Walk until you are ear the rocks and head out into the water. Within a few minutes or so you are over the reef and if you keep swimming a little further out, you will be at the drop off. There is a sandy bottom surrounded by coral which is filled with starfish....unbelievably beautiful.

Your in luck! We did Tabayana beach two years ago and Maya Cay last February.

The amount of fish and coral is really a toss up. At Tabayana you walk out from the beach which is pretty nice. At Maya Cay you walk out a long dock then drop in the water which is 3-5 ft deep, and follow a rope out to the beginning of the ledge.

We liked Maya Cay better, its a 5 minute boat ride from the same pier the ship is docked compared to a 45 bus / car ride. Maya Cay even when sold out had a lot less people, Tabayana was packed the the vendors selling their crap was annoying

Laszio - would you happen to know if one can shuttle back and forth to Maya Key since it's only a five minute ride? Like if we wanted to come back to the ship for lunch then shoot back over for a little bit, would that work? I asked this on the board dedicated to Roatan and received no response. Thought I'd try here. Thanks!

Never been to Maya Cay so didn't respond, but a few weeks ago we were at West Bay Beach. Taxi ride from Coxen Hole was 20 minutes max; 45 minutes would be from the other port I believe.

Yes, plenty of vendors at the beach, but they don't (can't) come up onto the resort properties. We didn't have an issues with saying a polite no-thank-you. This was at Bananarama where we had our chairs ($30pp incl transport) so maybe it's different at Tabayana. Didn't seem to be though as we walked by. (they're all the same beach, easy to walk up and down to wherever you want to be).

Crowding of people will be dependent on how many ships are in port. On our day it wasn't a big port day for Roatan so it wasn't crowded. That'll vary day by day, check the websites that tell you how many ships are in what ports each day to gauge.

Laszio - would you happen to know if one can shuttle back and forth to Maya Key since it's only a five minute ride? Like if we wanted to come back to the ship for lunch then shoot back over for a little bit, would that work? I asked this on the board dedicated to Roatan and received no response. Thought I'd try here. Thanks!

I don't think it did but then again we never thought of leaving until the end of the day. They had two different boats you could take back. One at 2:30pm the other at 3:30pm. Lunch is included and was really good.

https://www.google.com/maps/@16.3100393,-86.5375631,277m/data=!3m1!1e3

Crowding of people will be dependent on how many ships are in port. On our day it wasn't a big port day for Roatan so it wasn't crowded. That'll vary day by day, check the websites that tell you how many ships are in what ports each day to gauge.

Thats not really correct, some places only take X amount of people. So it does not matter how many ships or people are in port.