Review of Infinity after Dry Dock finally posted

wendyatpml

We were on the October 29 sailing of the Infinity. I have finally posted my review. This was a very disappointing ship. Think twice before you book. Check under Reviews on Cruise Critic.

You took the time to type all this out - Why didn't you just POST THE REVIEW!?!

The food choices in the Oceanview Café were o.k. You had to walk around the whole café to see what they had because they were serving different items in different places.

This is a subjective assessment. I'd be disappointed if the buffet had the same food all the way around. And the defining essence of the buffet concept is having to walk for your food.

This is a subjective assessment. I'd be disappointed if the buffet had the same food all the way around. And the defining essence of the buffet concept is having to walk for your food.

Strange review. I've never heard of a buffet where you didn't have to walk around to see what the food items were -- isn't that the whole point of a buffet?

Edited by jan-n-john

Strange review. I've never heard of a buffet where you didn't have to walk around to see what the food items were -- isn't that the whole point of a buffet?

Every one I've ever been to. Some might consider that a benefit; having to walk off what's on your plate. :D

Not the original poster but also on that sailing... The infinity had 2 sides to thier buffet. On RCCL when there are 2 distinct sides they have 2 nearly identical buffets...

I too found it strange but got used to doing the loop...

I agree with the original poster I would not sail on this vessel again.. was planning on booking 2 more cruises but just felt meh about the ship.. I sail on the Eclipse in a few weeks hopefully she is in better shape and it will restore my faith in Celebrity.

Not the original poster but also on that sailing... The infinity had 2 sides to thier buffet. On RCCL when there are 2 distinct sides they have 2 nearly identical buffets...

I too found it strange but got used to doing the loop...

I agree with the original poster I would not sail on this vessel again.. was planning on booking 2 more cruises but just felt meh about the ship.. I sail on the Eclipse in a few weeks hopefully she is in better shape and it will restore my faith in Celebrity.

Well. I've sailed on Connie and three of the S class ships, and never yet seen a bi-laterally symmetric buffet (same items on both sides). The OP said she'd sailed four times previously on X. So I'm not clear what was expected.

I also was struck that the OP said in the review that they were partaking of the elite happy hour. I'm sure it's possible to become elite in only four sailings, but it does seem a bit unusual.

Edited by jan-n-john

I also was struck that the OP said in the review that they were partaking of the elite happy hour. I'm sure it's possible to become elite in only four sailings, but it does seem a bit unusual.

We are just about to do our third Celebrity cruise. At the end we will be Elite.

That's 12 days in a CC cabin, 12 days in a CS cabin and 15 days in a RS cabin. So it is possible to become Elite in less than 4 cruises.

We are just about to do our third Celebrity cruise. At the end we will be Elite.

That's 12 days in a CC cabin, 12 days in a CS cabin and 15 days in a RS cabin. So it is possible to become Elite in less than 4 cruises.

Those are long trips and two were in suites. I said it was possible but unusual, and I'd classify those trips as unusual, certainly from the perspective of lesser folks like us.

Well. I've sailed on Connie and three of the S class ships, and never yet seen a bi-laterally symmetric buffet (same items on both sides). The OP said she'd sailed four times previously on X. So I'm not clear what was expected.

It use to be possible under the old system. You could get up to 3 credits on longer cruises. 4 of those would get you to Elite

I wonder if they asked to have the balcony glass cleaned? Of course it should not be dirty, but for us, if it wasn't cleaned in 24 hours we would call guest relations and ask for it to be cleaned next time we left the cabin, and give them a time. Our experience is they would have someone there right away. Same with the rust in the shower.

The Buffet is the buffet, so that leaves there dissatisfaction in the MDR, which of course too is disappointing. Food is subjective.

One thing I noted was they liked the 7pm show time. I also read a recent infinity review that said the exact opposite where they didn't like the early show time for late seating. Go figure.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It was not just the OP's review that was disappointing.

There are 2 other reviews from guests on the same sailing which are not flattering.

Celebrity's accountability is to ensure every cruise, I mean every cruise, meets consistent quality standards and provides the product and services as advertised. If they anticipate a cruise to be compromised due to drydock etc, they are obligated to advice purchasers that they will not experience the typical corporate product.

The descriptions provided by reviewers of the ship, service, product etc are inappropriate.

Like one of the reviewers stated, the Celebrity arrogance assumes that guests will accept any type of slop. Seemly so.

It is most disappointing to see the high quality Celebrity of old in the great "rush to the bottom". Just another mass cruise line. Blah.

ABoatNerd

It was not just the OP's review that was disappointing.

There are 2 other reviews from guests on the same sailing which are not flattering.

Celebrity's accountability is to ensure every cruise, I mean every cruise, meets consistent quality standards and provides the product and services as advertised. If they anticipate a cruise to be compromised due to drydock etc, they are obligated to advice purchasers that they will not experience the typical corporate product.

The descriptions provided by reviewers of the ship, service, product etc are inappropriate.

Like one of the reviewers stated, the Celebrity arrogance assumes that guests will accept any type of slop. Seemly so.

It is most disappointing to see the high quality Celebrity of old in the great "rush to the bottom". Just another mass cruise line. Blah.

ABoatNerd

I agree, it's not ideal. In reality, with the size of their ships (all over 2000k pax) and the prices (not really more than RCCL/NCL, especially given the perks they're given away), how do they do it, given the economics? The difference between one mass market line and another will be pretty slim.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

If you look at OP's signature, there are at least 14 RCI cruises so the OP is at the D/D+ level of RCI and would therefor cross over to Celebrity as Elite.

I would like to clarify about the buffet. Yes some parts repeat themselves on both sides of the buffet, but if you keep walking around the whole buffet you would come across a pizza station, a sandwich station and a pasta station that is only on one end at the back of the buffet.

Also, I am Diamond on RCCL and it does cross over to Elite on Celebrity.

Also it is imposlsible to get rust out of cracked tiles in the shower. As for asking to get the balcony glass clean, we did try to tell our cabin attendant who was also overworked from delivering Room Service orders in the morning.

I'm not saying I would never go on another Celebrity Sailing but never on the Infinity or similar class ship.

I would like to clarify about the buffet. Yes some parts repeat themselves on both sides of the buffet, but if you keep walking around the whole buffet you would come across a pizza station, a sandwich station and a pasta station that is only on one end at the back of the buffet.

Also, I am Diamond on RCCL and it does cross over to Elite on Celebrity.

Also it is imposlsible to get rust out of cracked tiles in the shower. As for asking to get the balcony glass clean, we did try to tell our cabin attendant who was also overworked from delivering Room Service orders in the morning.

I'm not saying I would never go on another Celebrity Sailing but never on the Infinity or similar class ship.

I usually ignore reviews with such negative inputs but your review has me concerned, especially with your long history of cruising. That's credibility.

DW and I will be on Infinity for a BXB starting December 5. I hope by that time all they get their act together. I'll report back whether good or bad.

Going forward I am struggling with finding alternatives to Celebrity. People rave about Oceania but no matter how I run the numbers the price is almost 2X Celebrity on similar itineraries. Maybe Azamara, I don't know.

Crossing our fingers that all goes well.

The OP is entitled to comment about their cruise experience whether we like/agree with it or not.

It is their hard earned that paid for it, not ours, after all......?

These are not the first negative comments I've read about this ship recently so they can't all be wrong.

We will be joining Infinity in a couple of days for a Panama cruise, so I guess we'll make our own minds up then. :eek:

The OP is entitled to comment about their cruise experience whether we like/agree with it or not.

These are not the first negative comments I've read about this ship recently so they can't all be wrong.

We will be joining Infinity in a couple of days for a Panama cruise, so I guess we'll make our own minds up then. :eek:

If you are referring to my comment you may want to read it again. In no way did I disagree. How can I? I wasn't on the cruise. The review and others have us concerned about our upcoming cruises.

And if you're referring to my comments, I never said the OP didn't experience what she did. The buffet is by design, she / he didn't like it, but it won't change it. The other issues are unacceptable, obviously.

I have been on a number of M-class ships with bad reviews leading up to them, including the Millennium last year which was slammed and often for lots of issues. Did it have problem? Sure. Did we have major problems in our cabin? Yes, horrible ones we had to be compensated for that greatly impacted our vacation. All that being said, we still had a great vacation and like Celebrity. As rob posted, we have a hard time justifying other lines with similar cabins and itineraries based on price, activities onboard, etc.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

See you there :D We were on Infinity Feb 2013 and loved every moment, no issues at all. Just hoping this time will be as good. Driving from LA to San Diego today.

Edited by Killington
spelling

See you there :D We were on Infinity Feb 2013 and loved every moment, no issues at all. Just hoping this time will be as good. Driving from LA to San Diego today.

We haven't sailed on Infinity before but did the Carib on the Summit and that is the same class so no problem there.

The allure of this cruise (for us) is the fantastic itinerary so any hiccoughs created by the recent dry dock will not prevent us from enjoying ourselves.

We jet in tomorrow, see you at 3 or 5 on board......or both.:cool:

I just posted our review of the Panama Canal cruise this past fall on the Infinity pre-dry dock. My DH and I love the M class ships and will continue to sail them. Our sailing on the Infinity was great. Everyone has differing opinions on what they like or don't like about a cruise, how the handle difficulties or disappointments are also different. I take all reviews with a "grain of salt" and do not usually base my decisions on the bad reviews or the good reviews.