Nightmare - what would you do?

julieh

We booked the Sea Princess 24th December 05 in a mini suite cabin D744 on caribe deck 15 months ago. Our daughter and her friend are in an inside cabin by us. We stated when booking that no upgrade was to happen

Two weeks ago we were asked to move to a suite on Dolphin deck as a regular cruiser wanted our cabin. As this was smaller than the cabin we had

and it was away from our daughter we refused. One week later on checking the personaliser our cabin number had been taken off and when our TA checked we were told we were now a gurantee!

For the past 10 days no one at Princess can tell me what is happening. Keep being told that passenger relations in Los Angeles is dealing with it

How can they take away my confirmed cabin booking after all this time?

Help what would you do!

Julieh

OH MY! You are in a pickle. Not sure what can be done about this one. I would work with your TA as they are the ones that are supposed to make sure that your booking was marked 'no upgrades' to make sure you are not assigned a higher category cabin. If you booked directly with Princess then you will be fighting this battle all alone. That is one good reason to use a reputable TA as they seem to have had much more pull in the past whenever we have run into a problem.

Best of luck and please keep us informed as to what happens.

That is pretty ugly. I would have your TA put some pressure on his/her connections at Princess.

Keep us informed.

What category are you guaranteed now? What cabin did they originally move you to - you mentioned both were on Dolphin. I am confused if you were asked to move from a minisuite to a suite or if I misunderstood.

Thanks Julie. I have been on the Sun Class several times but am unfamiliar with all the suite and minisuite cabins. Are there some minisuites that are larger then the suites? I thought the Dolphin aft balconies were smaller then the Caribe ones.

Again, I am sorry that they did this to you. You appear to be a loyal Princess customer - they should respect this.

My one complaint with Princess is the way that they handle bookings. My problem was not as bad as yours, but I solved it by canceling my cruise, [i then got what I wanted], this was also on the Sea. I can't advise you to try this, but I have heard that Princess is tough to deal with, once you have paid your full balance, which I don't believe you have. Here's a thought, ask that you daughter be 'upgraded', to be close to your new location, Princess would not like to loose TWO cabins, and while I may be wrong, I believe that the hardest cabins to sell are mini suites and, inside cabins. Good luck:) john

P.S. I came to Canada from Sussex, many years ago.

You probably already thought of this, but Any chance you could ask for a 'family suite' for the same price since you were so inconvenienced??? Then you could all be in the same large cabin with a bedroon and 2 bathrooms. Being a long time Princess cruiser, I would think they would accomodate you:mad:

You probably already thought of this, but Any chance you could ask for a 'family suite' for the same price since you were so inconvenienced??? Then you could all be in the same large cabin with a bedroon and 2 bathrooms. Being a long time Princess cruiser, I would think they would accomodate you:mad:

There are no family suites on the Sun Class ships.

I'd be fuming, and I wouldn't blame you if you were too!

I'd sit back and calm down as soon as possible, at least you're on the ship and cruise you want to sail. BUT, I would ask to be compensated by way of an additional $100 shipboard credit per person for their lack of consideration.

For me, this would at least take some heat off of the situation. I'm one of those stubborn guys. if Princess did not do something special to accomodate me I'd go elsewhere with the future cruises I have booked with them. Who needs a cruise line that treats you like that without any compensation or consideration? Not me!

Julie,

That's really unfortunate. How old is your daughter? Is it a case that having cabins far away from each other would be a big inconvenience, but doable, or are the girls young enough that being separated would not even be a consideration, possibly causing you to have to cancel?

I have been in the AA on the Sun Princess. They are aft facing full suites. I thought it was an amazing cabin and would take it as an offer in a heartbeat!! Then I would argue about the best possible cabin for the daughter.

(You had me confused by your original post for a minute - I bet you meant C744.)

Julie, if Princess says they cannot move your daughter because the ship is sold out--ask them if it was sold out why is Princess trying to accomodate this hoity-toity long-time cruiser in YOUR stateroom. I am not nearly so accepting of this situation as some of the above posters; "at least being on the ship" would not be sufficient, nor would a lousy $100 credit, given that you planned this cabin for a holiday cruise 15 months in advance and specifically booked it on the day bookings first open? What good is that if Princess will just move you when some high-roller type waltzes in at the last minute and steals your cabin? I will bet they are paying a hefty price premium to Princess, but not you! What good is booking any specific cabin if Princess will steal it at the last minute for a "long-time cruiser"? Heck, you aren't exactly a newbie at Platinum level.

I cannot believe they are trying to move you after all this time; there are no better staterooms than what you picked. Can you make a three way call between Princess, you and your TA and keep going up the chain until you get this resolved? Don't even start talking until you get at least two levels up from whomever answers the phone. Before you get on the line, decide in your mind what you would accept as compensation (if at all)--the original rooms only--$ amount of onboard credit--alternate suite on Caribe deck with same large balcony--full refund if you cancel (assuming you have just paid final at 90 days out) and % off on future cruise--same deal for your daughter--combination of above, etc.

The response that they cannot upgrade your daughter makes absolutely no sense when combined with them trying to move you. IF the ship is booked it is booked and you want your cabin, if it is not, then they can move all the other passengers who booked after you did.

I would be absolutely furious at this turn of events. It is wrong, and Princess owes you that cabin. If you don't get that cabin I can only hope that you get assigned the AA one directly above it; and then take midnight-3 am Flamenco dance lessons.

Do let us know how this is resolved--I am just aghast that Princess would involuntarily move you because of some Johnny Come Lately with a fat wallet. May they suffer from a miserable toothache the entire cruise. And the miserable reservation person who changed you from C744 no upgrade to AB GTY should have all their personal appointments and reservations cancelled because somebody "more influential" wanted their time slot or room.

Hi Cherylandtk

God we think alike! I really liked your comments and for the first time in 10 days I actually laughed!

One problem we have is that we are in the UK and LA are dealing with the problem. They wont talk to us in LA and Uk don't know anything or they are not telling me.

I agree with all you said I now just have to get Princess LA to agree.

Julie

I do have one question that has not been addressed yet. How old is the daughter and friend that are booked in the other cabin? Princess rules state that someone booked in each cabin has to be of a certain age and two teens or younger can not be booked into a cabin alone.

If this might be the case, it could be why you are not getting a lot of sympathy from the Princess reps. Although I do totally agree with you that booking this far in advance and stating no upgrades should have been Princess top priority.

I have seen this happen before where the parents are each booked into a cabin with a younger child and then they switch once onboard. Although I feel this is dangerous because of something I witnessed on a sailing a few years ago, it does happen all the time.

Daughter and friend both 16 and checked with Princess first and at that age they are okay in their own cabin as long as we sign to pay their on board account. Changed rules last year.

Julie

Archived