Nightmare - what would you do?

julieh

You said it all........ You probably sat in your cabin all day long and went for dinner on your walker. Don't have a clue of how this outfit operates.
I totally disagree – Gramps hit the nail right on the head and his post is excellent - your attempt at an insult as a means of response only proves his post is pretty difficult to argue with. On the other hand, your post accuses Princess of being “sleezy” (sic) with “unhappy campers,” yet tells us nothing of how you came to this conclusion. Personally I’ve been “sucked” in by Princess about 15 times and overall have been totally happy.

Bouvier, maybe you were just on the wrong ship. We enjoyed the Star and the Sapphire. Of course both of them were relatively new (the Sapphire was in its third month of cruises when we went on it) and big (we like the big ones but others prefer the smaller one). We didn't have trouble finding food at all hours: the Horizon Court is the buffet dining room and at least one side is open all the time (if selections are being changed, only one side is closed at a time). Of course, the grill (pizza, hot dogs, etc.) is only open during the day.

We've been cruising for about 20 years (we're in our 40s) and while we can't say that everything always goes flawlessly, we generally find that our Princess cruises (of which number 12 is upcoming) have been pleasant. There is no question that things have changed over time--but that is true of all of the mass lines. In order to compete, things have changed. The quality of the food on all of the mass lines has gone down, although I certainly would say it is bad. You can always find something to your liking because there are so many choices.

The mini-suite that we booked cost us less than our first cruise, where we had an inside stateroom. Whenever you get "more" for "less" something else has to give.

If you have extra-high expectations, I recommend that you try the luxury lines.

This, of course, is a response to Bouvier. With regard to the OP, I hope that Princess satisfies her. I have said it once and I will say it again...I think the onboard experience is generally very good. Sometimes, however, the operational and customer service aspects stateside can leave something to be desired.

Given the number of cabins they have to keep track of at any given time, it seems Princess makes few mistakes or none of us would continue to book with them. Evidence of this is the fact they are voted the best in customer service in the industry by travel agent communities year after year.

This will be my first cruise with Princess, and they have already caused some issues. Their waitlist system did not work, and thanks to tips here, watched my cruising to find my OWN opening in a balcony cabin. My very popular, high-volume Princess TA went nuts on them and they cannot tell why this heppened. She believes it is because they have alot of NEW people working in the LA office. This could be what happened here also. I only hope this is the only issue we have with them, as I am very much looking forward to this voyage. I could not imagine dealing with the issues that this OP has!

The OP was *intentionally* displaced by someone who late-booked. Someone who *knew* this cabin was taken when they called to book the cruise and were told "Sorry, that cabin isn't available." From there, they proceeded to (successfully, so far) prosecute a complaint to get that occupied cabin. This isn't a "mistake."

I don't have much sympathy for the fact that the people who somehow managed to displace the OP aren't "giving Princess too many options," because they aren't the ones who should be giving Princess options here. They should have been *given* options, but that's about it.

I was told by a Princess employee, while onboard, that Princess does have personnel assigned to follow the CC board.

I cannot feature any scenario under which Princess would not avail themselves of the free market research going on here.

I totally disagree – Gramps hit the nail right on the head and his post is excellent - your attempt at an insult as a means of response only proves his post is pretty difficult to argue with. On the other hand, your post accuses Princess of being “sleezy” (sic) with “unhappy campers,” yet tells us nothing of how you came to this conclusion. Personally I’ve been “sucked” in by Princess about 15 times and overall have been totally happy.

My apologies – I didn’t see this poster’s information about Tahitian Princess – still I find just because this poster had a bad experience no reason to try to belittle others posting on this board. Sort of like taking it out on the people who got the original poster’s cabin just because Princess let them have it – if that’s what happened.

In order to book via the states you have to find a TA that is prepared to lie and say you live at their address. This is because you are only allowed to book via the States if you are a resident. This can cause major problems when it comes to filling in the visa forms etc. Most TA's wont do it as they dont want to take the risk, nor do many passengers. Some cruise lines still let UK passengers book via the States, Princess do not. That is why earlier this year there was a thread running for quite some time as UK passengers were furious that their US TA's had contacted them to say they were no longer allowed to take their bookings.

For the few that actually do manage it, if you do try to get your cruise added to your Captains Circle membership they are quite rude and wont do it unless you can provide your own US postal address.

I spent months talking to Princess Cruises, Solicitors, Holiday Which Magazine and the Times newspaper re this issue when the block was first put in place so I know the official stance. You are not allowed to do it. There are ways round it of course, but you have to be deceitful in order to do it and it can backfire.

Your friends are very lucky to have found a travel agent willing to lie for them.

We have to book through UK travel agents, who in reality are nothing like the US travel agents all they do is phone Princess and make the booking which you could do yourself. They know very little if anything about cruising, the ships, the policies etc. Thats why Julie is having no luck with her TA. This will be as foreign to them as it is Julie, all they are is a glorified shop teller who take your holiday payment on behalf of Princess.

We are not likely to choose this method of booking a holiday. If we were legally and honestly allowed to book via a US agent we would. However the fact remains, Princess wont allow people with a non US address to book via the US.

Think what you like and say what you will, my friends did not lie, nor did the TA who is the same one I use. She is extremely reputable and one of the top Princess producers who certainly would not jeopradize her position and reputation.

Think what you like and say what you will, my friends did not lie, nor did the TA who is the same one I use. She is extremely reputable and one of the top Princess producers who certainly would not jeopradize her position and reputation.

Lynda - maybe things are different for Australians (compared to UK).

I do know someone from the UK who recently tried to go through KK and was unable to unless they provided a US address.

Lynda - maybe things are different for Australians (compared to UK).

I do know someone from the UK who recently tried to go through KK and was unable to unless they provided a US address.

Coral, that could be the case. I originally got the information from Laura (ourlol) that who you mention could do it.

You should have read the first comment that was made and you would know what the complaint was about. But, I guess as usual the people only read what they want to read. If you like to walk around in sewage in your state room and have the staff being rude and arrogant to you, then go ahead, sail with this outfit till your hearts content. The public relations dept. and management could care less and don't even consider an apology in all the egotistical ways.

Your friends are not from the UK, so forgive me for being blunt but that does not make your knowledge or your experience, or your friends for that matter, relevant to the rules regarding bookings for UK passengers. Your friends, TA however, will have had to use a false US address in order to make a booking for them. There is no other way to make a booking via Princess in the US without using a US address - its just not possible.

Being from the UK, and having tried to book through numerous US agents for my cruise next year (including the one your friends have used), having spoke at length with both Princess UK and Princess US, having received numerous emails from TA's saying its not possible and written confirmation from Princess that UK passengers must have a US address if they wish to use a US Travel Agent, I think Im pretty safe in saying my information is correct. Along with 90% of all the other UK passengers who have had the same response as myself.

Take a look at Princess website and click on book now for one of the Specials, you will see that the only Countries available in the drop down menu are United States and Canada. Thats because we are not even allowed to book direct with Princess in the states - we have to go through the UK.

Earlier this year the TA that Laura uses would not take any bookings off UK passengers at all when Princess imposed the ban. Now she is looking at them again, however, they have to be made by using a false address in Amercia. If for any reason the cruise has to be cancelled etc this can cause problems.

Like I said there are ways round it, if you and your TA are prepared to lie, but the OFFICIAL Princess stance is you have to have a US address to book in the US

This is the last I'm going to say on it, as this thread is about Julie's problem, not the problem of where UK passengers are allowed to book, however, I just wanted to stress to any UK passengers who read this and think it may be possible, its not - well not without lying and using a false address which since Princess enforced the ban earlier this year most US TA's are not prepared to do.

I have not been on a Princess ship yet but have cruised 16 voyages already so I feel I know a little about what is happening.

Let me see if I got it straight, you booked a specific cabin which was a mini suite and the kids have an inside on the same floor. Then you find out that some big wig wants your cabin so they give them yours and now you have a GTY which pretty much means you can be put anywhere within your catagory but the kids stay in the same place?

I thought that they told you that the ship was sold-out already for that sailing? So how can they be moving you when there is no where to move you to? Unless they plan on upgrading you to a higher available cabin?

This is a very confusing story and I probably have it all wrong be now but I wish you luck in receiving your ORIGINAL cabin back!

PS- Logan- wish you lived in FL, I sure could use you on my side of an on going divorce case that will never end! I like how you see things!;)

Cruizinrican:)

You've summarized correctly as far as I can tell. I can't see what Princess plans to do. There are only 6AB and 6AA on the entire ship. The cruiseline can't give them anything less than the AB.

Can't wait to see how it turns out. If they end up in something lower than AB due to this dreadful situation - I believe their cabin should be complimentary as Princess broke the contract.

You should have read the first comment that was made and you would know what the complaint was about. But, I guess as usual the people only read what they want to read. If you like to walk around in sewage in your state room and have the staff being rude and arrogant to you, then go ahead, sail with this outfit till your hearts content. The public relations dept. and management could care less and don't even consider an apology in all the egotistical ways.
Regarding reading what we want to read – you apparently didn’t read my post where I apologized for not realizing your first post was yours.

As for your tale of walking around in your cabin in sewage, why would you stay in the room if that were the case? That’s pretty unhealthy. I will sail this “outfit till my hearts content” (sic) as in 15 cruises with the outfit, I have never encountered what you’ve described or rude and arrogant staff members. My interaction with public relations has also been positive. I wouldn’t hang around Princess if my experience with them wasn’t positive. And they’d be out of business if they were as bad as you describe.

Can't wait to see how it turns out. If they end up in something lower than AB due to this dreadful situation - I believe their cabin should be complimentary as Princess broke the contract.
I thought the original poster was offered an AA but didn’t want it.

bdjam, she was offered an AA as you state, but it was on a different deck and they would not also move her 16 yo daughter to be near them. She has said she would take the AA or AB on Baja or Caribe WITH a nearby room for her daughter.

The offered balcony on the Dolphin deck is not comparable, being about half the size of the one she booked. Simply because Princess lists the AA as better accomodations does not make it so. Anybody who booked a specific no-upgrade cabin for the balcony or location(afts, end wraps, Caribe deck, etc.) would be very unhappy to find they were in a "higher" category with less space. Even Princess consistently charges more for the AF category than the AA. Does not matter that it is listed as a "lower" category, it has a large balcony.

as I got e-mail offers from Princess on the sailing couple weeks ago - inside and outside were offered on sale. I am quite surprised to see that e-mail as I have looked at Sea in July and at that time there was no departure from Florida - all available is from Barbados.

bdjam, she was offered an AA as you state, but it was on a different deck and they would not also move her 16 yo daughter to be near them. She has said she would take the AA or AB on Baja or Caribe WITH a nearby room for her daughter.

The offered balcony on the Dolphin deck is not comparable, being about half the size of the one she booked. Simply because Princess lists the AA as better accomodations does not make it so. Anybody who booked a specific no-upgrade cabin for the balcony or location(afts, end wraps, Caribe deck, etc.) would be very unhappy to find they were in a "higher" category with less space. Even Princess consistently charges more for the AF category than the AA. Does not matter that it is listed as a "lower" category, it has a large balcony.

I realize the situation with the daughters would still need to be resolved, but apparently the original poster isn’t having any of that resolution? Whether or not the AA is considered a higher category by the customer, it is by Princess. And what they charge for the category is irrelevant as well – if Princess considers this a higher category. I’m simply stating what makes logical business sense to me based on the category structure Princess puts forth. Right - if she was guaranteed the cabin, she shouldn't have been moved in the first place, but why the conspiracy theories?

Why do you people keep doing business with Princess if it is such a shady operation? Apparently you know the ins and outs of the system - perhaps, as I mentioned before, the original poster’s TA isn’t up to snuff? In which case, where is the fault for the mix up?

Thanks so much for all your comments. I am picking up some really good idea's.

It just worries me that if the ship was full apart from the cabin they offered me which we rejected how are they going to resolve it as I am sure the other passengers don't want to move either.

Julie

Hate to say it, but you'll end up splitting one adult/one teen in each cabin. It's the only way you'll be able to provide adequate supervision for them if you wind up with the cabins being several decks apart.

The other option is to cancel ... and demand a very, very generous rebooking credit to compensate you.

I like the divorce lawyer's suggestion, though ... it appeals to my "evil" side as well. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

... perhaps, as I mentioned before, the original poster’s TA isn’t up to snuff? In which case, where is the fault for the mix up?

In the light of the many restrictions placed on British passengers and TAs - and having had booking experiences fully in line with those of UKLady - this seems to us a debatable question ..... though perhaps not for arguing on this thread.

Good luck to the OP in her legitimate protests. In our experience Princess do seem to leave solving problems till the very last minute, so an acceptable proposal may well eventually be forthcoming. (A thought occurs. Have we read that the semi-permanent passenger formerly on the Royal ... her name escapes us ... is now on the Sea? Could this be 'her' cabin? Doesn't make it right though!)

Ibrasu

I thought that they told you that the ship was sold-out already for that sailing? So how can they be moving you when there is no where to move you to? Unless they plan on upgrading you to a higher available cabin?

Any chance they could upgrade you to a larger suite ... give you a full refund for the teens' cabin, and allow all four of you to occupy the larger quarters ... with the teens, in effect, sailing for free and you sailing for the same price as the lower accommodations?

Just a thought ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

We booked a cruise to Alaska several years ago on the Dawn in the spring for a mid August departure from Seward to Vancouver. We also had the land portion from Fairbanks to Anchorage plus Princess Air. Given choice of cabins, I took a port balcony so land would b e in view on our southern trip. When we got our docs, they changed my cabin to starboard and up one deck. When I contronted my TA with the change, he seemed to think I should have been happy with the "upgrade". I told him I didn't want the"upgrade" but my original starboard cabin which also was mid-ship which I preferred. Since time was of the essence, I finally told my TA that if I couldn't get my original cabin to just cancel the cruise. I believe we were paying around $4,500 pp for everything. Guess what?? A day or two later we got our original cabin back!!!

I think Princess will bump existing reservations based on someone's power to demand and get a specific type of cabin when booking late in the cycle. With computers today you can't blame it on "human error" . I just booked a specific cabin a week ago on a ship and by the time I finished and went back to the TA site, the cabin was gone from being available. You can't book a cabin that is not there unless someone at Princess overrides the reservation and puts the original booking in limbo without your knowledge and approval.

John L.

JulieH, it sounds like the very best thing to do is arrange a three-way call with Princess at their expense of course. The 8-hour time difference complicates matters obviously, so the timing might not be very convenient for you. Be firm and fair. It shouldn't be too difficult to get someone to change from one inside to another so that your daughter and friend can be close to you.

Archived