Best (most?) drink for non UBPers on a liquor:dollar ratio?

Jezo

Or more straightforward, whats the cheapest way to get liquor on the ship into my body?

Some of the drinks are high priced and basically sugar water with a small amount of booze. A frozen drink might have half a shot in it but cost $12, or those shooter drinks that come in shot glass but are filled with syrup.

Whats the cheapest liquor per dollar on the boat for people paying per drink?

Is bar service at $100 a bottle cheaper than a per shot basis on the ship? Bottle of wine for $30 or finding a cheap magnum bottle at the liquor store and paying the $30 corkage? What's the cheapest shot of 80 proof liquor at the bars, if quality doesn't matter?

Or more straightforward, whats the cheapest way to get liquor on the ship into my body?

Some of the drinks are high priced and basically sugar water with a small amount of booze. A frozen drink might have half a shot in it but cost $12, or those shooter drinks that come in shot glass but are filled with syrup.

Is bar service at $100 a bottle cheaper than a per shot basis on the ship? Bottle of wine for $30 or finding a cheap magnum bottle at the liquor store and paying the $30 corkage? What's the cheapest shot of 80 proof liquor at the bars, if quality doesn't matter?

Long Island Ice Tea hands down.

6&8

I realize your question is specific to liquor, but it reminds me of NCL cruises pre-UBP when we'd try to get the most beer for the buck. Our solution? A bucket of Fosters.

Bucket of Foster Oil Cans

5 Cans @ 6.95 + 1 Free = $34.75 for 6 x 700ml oil cans.

4200ml, approximately 142 ounces.

$0.24 price per fluid ounce

Bucket of 12oz Bottles

5 Cans @ 5.25 + 1 Free = $26.25 for 6 x 12oz bottles

72 Ounces

$0.36 price per fluid ounce

VERDICT? FOSTERS IS 1/3 LESS EXPENSIVE!

Plus, walking around with a bucket of Fosters is a great workout.

So, I'll pose the challenge... assuming Fosters are still $6.95, you can get the equivalent of 11.8 bottles for $35.75 + gratuity. Is there any better bang for that price onboard an NCL ship?

I've had single drink receipts that reflect close to that total (more than half) for a liquor-based drink, which in all reality was fairly weak. As an example, there may have been some painkillers acquired with a couple sidecars of rum tossed in for good measure.

I realize your question is specific to liquor, but it reminds me of NCL cruises pre-UBP when we'd try to get the most beer for the buck. Our solution? A bucket of Fosters.

Bucket of Foster Oil Cans

5 Cans @ 6.95 + 1 Free = $34.75 for 6 x 700ml oil cans.

4200ml, approximately 142 ounces.

$0.24 price per fluid ounce

Bucket of 12oz Bottles

5 Cans @ 5.25 + 1 Free = $26.25 for 6 x 12oz bottles

72 Ounces

$0.36 price per fluid ounce

Plus, walking around with a bucket of Fosters is a great workout.

When I drink beer on the ship it is always Fosters, best deal and a much better beer.

When I drink beer on the ship it is always Fosters, best deal and a much better beer.

Even with UBP, I'll still grab a fosters during high-demand periods, just to minimize trips to the bar when they're overly crowded. This was our go-to selection during sail-away in August.

I'm overly anxious for additional selections at the District Brew House.

Fosters - yuck! The Aussies export that stuff as a joke and a p*ss-take. No one there drinks it apparently.

That stuff is as bad as the mass-produced fizz water which generally passes for beer in the US (craft beers excepted thankfully - you folks are catching up big-time in that regard now).

Becks or Pilsner Urquell, by the bottle, at least they have some taste and alcohol content.

Buy a 1l bottle of Grey Goose for $99 then you can have a shot for $4.50 instead of $8.75

agreed, this is your best bang for your buck

Note to self: invent double decker drink cup for pure booze below and mix and booze up top, keep refilling through the evening.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I'm not sure which NCL ships you've been on that watered down drinks or added sugar water instead of alcohol. Every one I've been on utilizes shot glasses and puts at least one shot per drink. There are many drinks less than $12 on every ship. Drinks on the ship are comparable to what we get in our bars locally. If you're looking for how to get drunk for the cheapest way possible, buy a bottle and drink it straight.

Ha! :D

I can't disagree with you. But the topic was quantity-focused vs. quality.

See ya at the District Brew House...

The District Brew House (if rolled out to other NCL ships) could very easily persuade me back to NCL.

I have seen it on a day trip round the ship, drooled, and moved on. I shall have to 'make do':rolleyes: with our Beer Festivals in UK for the moment (said he supping on a bottle of Hop Back Summer Lightning as we speak:D:D:D)

Buy a 1l bottle of Grey Goose for $99 then you can have a shot for $4.50 instead of $8.75

How does this compare to the pricing of a long island iced tea?

I'm not sure which NCL ships you've been on that watered down drinks or added sugar water instead of alcohol. Every one I've been on utilizes shot glasses and puts at least one shot per drink.

I didn't mean literally watered down, I meant when you buy an expensive mixed drink you are buying more of the expensive mixed part than the actual liquor. I like to get all that out of the way and just cut to the booze.

If you're looking for how to get drunk for the cheapest way possible...

Basically this, on the few off nights I might have on the ship from busy activities.

Edited by Jezo

I haven't priced it out, but I imagine a dry gin martini gets you pretty close. Go with whatever their lower level gin is for the most bang for the buck - gin is usually a higher proof than vodka.

Last I saw they were 8.95 + 18%. I sail in 10 days and can check then. This should get you a drink with 5+ shots of liquor. Much better than buying a bottle.

6&8

Wow. how is this one possible? Do the bartenders really put that much in there for that kind of price?

Wow. how is this one possible? Do the bartenders really put that much in there for that kind of price?

Yup, its how the drink is made. Shot of each Gin, Rum, Vodka, Tequila, and Triple Sec and on NCL most put a float of Grand Marnier. Add a little sour and a splash of coke for color and that is the drink. It is basically a glass of liquor.

6&8

Not a NCL cruiser yet but yes that is how it is made. If it is made right it will be the smoothest liquor drink you can order. Full glass of ice, 5 shots, add more ice if needed a splash of sour mix and a splash of cola. :)

Fosters - yuck! The Aussies export that stuff as a joke and a p*ss-take. No one there drinks it apparently.

That stuff is as bad as the mass-produced fizz water which generally passes for beer in the US (craft beers excepted thankfully - you folks are catching up big-time in that regard now).

Becks or Pilsner Urquell, by the bottle, at least they have some taste and alcohol content.

Fosters is actually made in the US now, not in Aus.

Yup, its how the drink is made. Shot of each Gin, Rum, Vodka, Tequila, and Triple Sec and on NCL most put a float of Grand Marnier. Add a little sour and a splash of coke for color and that is the drink. It is basically a glass of liquor.

6&8

Each of the liquors are poured at 1/2 ounce each. They are not full shots. It is still a strong drink but equates to about 2 1/2 shots, not 5+

Went to the liquor store last night to scope out the big wine bottle scene.

The cheapest large bottle of wine on sale was $10, thats for one of those magnum things. So that plus the $30 corkage is a $40 dollar bottle of wine.

That's ten glasses of wine for $40, or $4 a drink based off of a 5oz serving according to the Googles.

If a LIT really is only $10 for 5 shots then that still wins.

Went to the liquor store last night to scope out the big wine bottle scene.

The cheapest large bottle of wine on sale was $10, thats for one of those magnum things. So that plus the $30 corkage is a $40 dollar bottle of wine.

That's ten glasses of wine for $40, or $4 a drink based off of a 5oz serving according to the Googles.

If a LIT really is only $10 for 5 shots then that still wins.

A dessert wine could be 25% alcohol, which in a 5 oz serviing is 1.25 oz of alcohol for $4.

LIT being 2.5 shots of 40% alcohol, would be 1 oz of alcohol for $10. If it is 5 shots, it would be 2 oz of alcohol for $10, which is still more.