Liberty skipping Honduras

fdthird

We just got off a Celebrity cruise that stopped in Honduras. If you've never been there before, believe me there is nothing to do if you don't do any water sports. We got off the ship and back on in less than 30 minutes. There is a sign at the port gate that tells you it's dangerous and be careful beyond the gate.

We just got off a Celebrity cruise that stopped in Honduras. If you've never been there before, believe me there is nothing to do if you don't do any water sports. We got off the ship and back on in less than 30 minutes. There is a sign at the port gate that tells you it's dangerous and be careful beyond the gate.

Really? Roatan is one of my favorite ports. Never seemed dangerous beyond the gate. :rolleyes:

Is it more dangerous then Philadelphia, PA?

Sorry to hear about missing a scheduled port, but do hope the passenger is ok.

Roatan was a great port day for us, however it is definitely one of those ports where you really do need to plan ahead (we scheduled a private driver to show us around and saw some wonderful areas), not decide what to do when you there like you can in some other places.

Its a shame that the prior poster didn't make it outside the port to see what the island could provide.

Edited by akcruz

We can't wait to go back to Honduras. Did a non-RCI excursion to a private key and it was a great day. Granted, the port area did not seem like much, but make plans and there's lots to do. Schlepping around the port, not so much...

As I know this is a port that requires proper planning, I am just sorry to hear that all those Liberty passengers who had made arrangements are now disappointed with the call being cancelled.

The US Travel Warning is pretty clear about the situation in Honduras.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/honduras-travel-warning.html

Roatan is our FAVORITE port!! Been there a few times & have never had a bad experience. They have a great zipline... The beaches are beautiful. There is a shop a few blocks from the port we always visit... Made In Roatan.... Run by a missionary couple from Canada that teaches youngsters how to make jewlery, write books, paint, etc. they sell it all in their shop and also online. It is a God send to the families there. Roatan is very poor, but the people are some of the nicest I've ever met. Step outside the port area & you'll be greeted by adorable children happy to help you find your way a couple of blocks to the shop.... Tip them & they are jumping for joy... We stop in a bar on the way back & visit with the locals who again, are so happy to tell you about their home.

Edited by SRV FAN

As I know this is a port that requires proper planning, I am just sorry to hear that all those Liberty passengers who had made arrangements are now disappointed with the call being cancelled.

The US Travel Warning is pretty clear about the situation in Honduras.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/honduras-travel-warning.html

I took out just the Roatan part..... Which sounds much better than the general travel warning for mainland....

Roatan & Bay Islands

Roatan and the Bay Islands experience lower crime rates than the Honduras mainland. The national government of Honduras, Roatan authorities, and businesses took measures in 2014 to improve tourism security. As on the mainland, thefts, break-ins, assaults, rapes, and murders do occur, and rates are still high by international standards. You should exercise caution, especially at night. If staying at a hotel resort, book tours and sightseeing through the resort or reputable tour companies. Coxen Hole on the island of Roatan should be avoided after dark.

If you are traveling on a cruise ship, you should take safety precautions, avoid unfamiliar areas, and take care to book only with reputable tour companies during your stopover in Honduras. Cruise lines and port agencies work with approved tour companies to offer packages. The port agencies at Mahogany Bay and Towne Center have worked to improve taxi service to and from the ports. The vast majority of cruise line passengers in Honduras experience no problems, but incidents of armed robbery and carjacking have been reported.

Edited by SRV FAN

Roatan, Honduras is one of our favorite ports of call! We always schedule our beach day ahead of time with Stephen Hamilton! We have a wonderful time at Bananarama Resort! Been 5 or 6 times with one coming up in May

We are going late August - the Freedom is making a stop there. Would you consider the resort family friendly - kids are 11 and 13. Would love to plan a great beach day and I just Googled the resort and looks great.