Internet Question Star Princess

Agua-azul

We are looking forward to our cruise this December on the Star princess. I've never used the internet onboard but for this vacation my travel partner needs to be connected for his studies. Sadly, I haven't read many positive comments regarding the quality and speed of the internet. Does anyone have recent experience with the Star Princess' internet service? I'd appreciate your feedback.

We are looking forward to our cruise this December on the Star princess. I've never used the internet onboard but for this vacation my travel partner needs to be connected for his studies. Sadly, I haven't read many positive comments regarding the quality and speed of the internet. Does anyone have recent experience with the Star Princess' internet service? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Unless the internet speed has been upgraded since July in Alaska . The speed is faster than dial up but not even close to high speed. If your partner needs to look a videos or do something like face time(Skype) don't count on it. Face Time and Skype are blocked because they use to much signal.

We have been on the Star. The internet can be slow at times, but late night it runs pretty fast. It is pretty expensive 680 mins. for $202.95. There are smaller packages. If you pre-purchase you get some extra mins. You can work on a tablet or laptop in your cabin or in public areas. Sometimes the cabin connection doesn't work so well and you have to have the door open. When using wi-fi make sure you fully sign off each time otherwise you will be charged for every min. you are connected.

There are locations at each port that have free wi-fi. Just ask the crew. They know all the spots.

We found the Internet to be painfully slow this past weekend, but it did support Skype the one time I tried it. As Kamloops50 said, late night is a good time to be on, also in the middle of the day on port days if you're not going to be leaving the ship, although I would find Wifi on shore if possible to keep the cost down.

We have paid in advance to receive some bonus minutes, I think 460 minutes in total. My friend mostly needs to download and upload packages of information and then can work off line. In a pinch we probably can dash into a cyber cafe, or restaurant with wifi to do this on shore days. It's interesting to me that Princess works on a minutes used system version megabytes up or down system. But I'm not complaining.:)