Shore excursions for less by booking directly or renting a car - NCL SUN 12/5/2015.

Hilarion

Thank you, Lari! We booked a hotel in Recoleta on the recommendation of a friend who lives in Talca, Chile, who goes to BA often.

That would be terrific if you keep me apprised of your cruise, as to help us when we cruise (Jan 2nd). My email is Bacqwap at yahoo dot com.

BTW: I am retired NASA (having worked in Russia, Houston, FL, & Washington), but I really wanted to be an FSO. 😀

Wow. I am so sorry I am not on the cruise on Jan. I would love to hear about your Russia experience someday. Most of my career was in Western Europe. I did open the US embassy in Bosnia during the war.

You need to contact Linda who also wrote on my thread (above). She is sailing with her sister. They also sound like very nice global people. I have sent them information on car rental and excursions and will send them more information as my cruise proceeds this time.

That is so funny you wanted to be an FSO. I am an accidental FSO as I was an attorney with a major law firm and just took the exam for the offer of a free lunch (to accompany a friend who really wanted to be an FSO). I stayed for 26 years and am glad I did. This where my desire to share experiences and information comes from. As an FSO living abroad most of our live, I enjoy helping others have great experiences and identify opportunities to experience foreign coutnries more as a local than a tourist; locals have more fun. I also believe in saving money, identifying options that are less expensive and unique, and prefer to spend the extra cash on champagne, good food, and nice liqueurs.

Connect with Linda. You could maybe share the rental car in Puerto Montt and make it really cheap and tons of fun. I sent her a very detailed itenerary. I have information on the BA hotel as I have stayed there twice this year for two weeks each time. It is in a better location than Recoleta for a tourist as it is right off the Broadway of BA. I have stayed in Recoleta before; it is more residential and quiet. I prefer to walk around Recoleta during the day and stay near the theaters so that I can walk home at night and avoid cabs. I can recommend a great Tango Show which is at a cultural center, subsidized, and less expensive (and more comprehensive) than the very expensive tango dinner shows in San Telmo which often have very small dance spaces. I have been to those as well. If you understand Spanish, I can also recommend theaters and how to get half priced tickets. if you do not, I can recommend music shows that do not require Spanish language skills. If you like pizza, the best pizza I have ever had int he world...and I was US Consul general in Florence! is in BA. The hotel about which I spoke is Icaro Suites. I have written two evaluations for TripAdvisor) and posted plenty of photos. It is only $126 (in getaroom.com) for two for two nights, with a superb buffet breaffast...and it is a suite and relatively new and a great location and very near the pier by cab. I also loved walking in the area of the hotel as it has some of the best early 1900's architecture in BA. Recoleta is newer and not as impressive architecturally.

BTW, I also have a protege of mine who is now an FSO at the embassy in BA in case anything happens and you need help.

Thank you for joining the thread. Now, if only some cruisers on my own ship would say hi. I am sailing alone. :(

Hi, Lari!

THANK YOU Sooo very much for all the info!! 😀

Soooo cool you opened the Bosnian embassy during the war. How fascinating!!

I hope I didn't confuse things: I'm Linda (Birder1), retired NASA aerospace engineer, & my sister, Cynthia, who lives in Chile. We're both from Venezuela (loooong time ago before the current regimes!) & I also lived in Ecuador (dad was petroleum engineer). I believe there are other Linda's on this thread. 😀

I received your email & can't wait to read it thoroughly. Such GREAT info!

BTW: I'm about 2+ hrs away...Cocoa Beach (near Port Canaveral). Yes, I'd be happy to talk about living in Russia.

Wow. I am so sorry I am not on the cruise on Jan. I would love to hear about your Russia experience someday. Most of my career was in Western Europe. I did open the US embassy in Bosnia during the war.

You need to contact Linda who also wrote on my thread (above). She is sailing with her sister. They also sound like very nice global people. I have sent them information on car rental and excursions and will send them more information as my cruise proceeds this time.

That is so funny you wanted to be an FSO. I am an accidental FSO as I was an attorney with a major law firm and just took the exam for the offer of a free lunch (to accompany a friend who really wanted to be an FSO). I stayed for 26 years and am glad I did. This where my desire to share experiences and information comes from. As an FSO living abroad most of our live, I enjoy helping others have great experiences and identify opportunities to experience foreign coutnries more as a local than a tourist; locals have more fun. I also believe in saving money, identifying options that are less expensive and unique, and prefer to spend the extra cash on champagne, good food, and nice liqueurs.

Connect with Linda. You could maybe share the rental car in Puerto Montt and make it really cheap and tons of fun. I sent her a very detailed itenerary. I have information on the BA hotel as I have stayed there twice this year for two weeks each time. It is in a better location than Recoleta for a tourist as it is right off the Broadway of BA. I have stayed in Recoleta before; it is more residential and quiet. I prefer to walk around Recoleta during the day and stay near the theaters so that I can walk home at night and avoid cabs. I can recommend a great Tango Show which is at a cultural center, subsidized, and less expensive (and more comprehensive) than the very expensive tango dinner shows in San Telmo which often have very small dance spaces. I have been to those as well. If you understand Spanish, I can also recommend theaters and how to get half priced tickets. if you do not, I can recommend music shows that do not require Spanish language skills. If you like pizza, the best pizza I have ever had int he world...and I was US Consul general in Florence! is in BA. The hotel about which I spoke is Icaro Suites. I have written two evaluations for TripAdvisor) and posted plenty of photos. It is only $126 (in getaroom.com) for two for two nights, with a superb buffet breaffast...and it is a suite and relatively new and a great location and very near the pier by cab. I also loved walking in the area of the hotel as it has some of the best early 1900's architecture in BA. Recoleta is newer and not as impressive architecturally.

BTW, I also have a protege of mine who is now an FSO at the embassy in BA in case anything happens and you need help.

Thank you for joining the thread. Now, if only some cruisers on my own ship would say hi. I am sailing alone. :(

Thanks Lari for sharing all your great research. I'm also on the January 2nd cruise and like you I got a shock when I saw the price of the NCL tours. I've done many cruises with NCL, but never had to pay that amount. Like you I've done a lot of research just scrolling through other people's reviews and other roll calls, tripadvisor etc to find alternatives and through our roll call I've booked some great tours at half the cost. I come from Aus so the only language I speak is English. Hiring a car is out of the question as we drive on the left here. I look forward to more info. The Dec 5th roll call seems to be very organised with lots of shared tours organised. Any tips I'm happy to read. I've never been to SA before. I have 3 days precruise and 8 post that I'm still working on! So I'm keen to read all I can. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Lari,

We will be on the same cruise from BA to Valparaíso. We are currently also planning to rent a car in Puerto Montt but are not quite sure where the tender boats drop us off. You said that ACE is within walking distance from the pier and I was wondering if you know where we are dropped off exactly?

It would be great to meet you on the ship!

Thank you!

Christina

Hi Lari,

We will be on the same cruise from BA to Valparaíso. We are currently also planning to rent a car in Puerto Montt but are not quite sure where the tender boats drop us off. You said that ACE is within walking distance from the pier and I was wondering if you know where we are dropped off exactly?

It would be great to meet you on the ship!

Thank you!

Christina

Of course. The ACE franchisee is Econorent and they have a website. Googlemap "Antonio Varas N° 144 PUERTO MONTT PUERTO MONTT" for the location of their office. I found that booking directly with them online was less expensive than through the ACE website and includes the necessary local insurance. They will charge you in Chilean pesos instead of USD but you can do the conversion and see the savings. I suggest you get all the insurance so that you are not delayed in case anything happens, God forbid.

Did you read the information I provided on Felix and the comrehensive tour which includes lunch for US $65 per person for 7 or more passengers? He is with Patagonia Austral. The tour includes a buffet lunch and the city tour and of course, the guide in English, pick up and drop off at the pier. that is an option to your renting the car.

If you rent the car, let me know and I will send you my suggestion on how to plan your day. My goal is always to reach the sites at a time when the large buses have either departed or not arrived.

Are you staying in BA before the cruise? In Santiago after? How are you getting from Valparaiso to Santiago? I have information if you need it.

Yes, I'm taking the inexpensive bus for locals from Valparaiso to Santiago. Sister's done this a few times. We're staying in Vina deal Mar after the cruise before going our separate ways.

As you are probably aware & a reminder for others on this thread: Do not wear jewelry. My sister was walking w a friend in Santiago & someone ripped (yes) off the friend's necklace from her neck, broad daylight, busy street. Valparaiso area is sketchy, too. I wear cross body an RFID-blocking purse w steel cables in the straps.

Sorry to hear that. We have been to SA multiple times, and have never had a problem with my jewelry. I think the biggest problems are where some folks go that are not safe.

We are also staying in Vina del Mar at the Sheraton.

Just thought I'd add. In Stanley, Estancia is the only tour that is going to Volunteer Point. It might not be what you want to see- but I'm keen to see those King Penguins.

Yes. They are very nice. Nyree Healthman is super nice and responds quickly to emails. Her tour is 110 pounds or US$180. Volunteer Point does have the largest olony of King Penguins which is great. There is another 4-5 hour tour I found on one of the published CC and Trip Advisor reviews by Patrick Watts of Horizon that goes to Bertha’s Beach (southern coast of East Falklands) for the Gentoo penguins (and the odd King penguin), and then to Gypsy Cove to see the Magellanic penguins. That one is 80 pounds sterling or US$130. Both are good options; just in case one is full.

In Ponro Tombo, the port before Stanley,and then in Puerto Arenas there are more Magellanic pienguins to visit.

I have booked 4 hotels in Buenos Aires (free cancellation) and am still trying to work out the best location. One is in Recoleta, but I normally like to stay in the heart of everything eg I stay on La Rambla in Barcelona, Times Square New York, Ocean Drive in Miami etc. I am leaning towards the Howard Johnson on Florida at this stage. I've read there are safety issues staying in the microcentre , but I have a Pacsafe Bag , I usually go and see all the tourist sights during the day and don't go out after dark. I save my night time partying for the ship.:)

I also have 8 days post cruise I have to organise. I still have to find out a lot about Chile. I'm doing the tour organised through the roll call from Valporaiso to Chile via Vin Del Mar and a winery with a tour of Valporaiso and Chile.It will drop me off at a hotel. Not as cheap as the bus, but half the price of the NCL tour. I think that's a good deal, plus we have a group of 13. I always enjoy a small tour more than the big bus.

I would like to go to Mendoza by bus, then fly back to Buenos Aires from Mendoza. I've also looked at booking the bus and flight before I go, but it seems to be in Spanish so I'm hoping I can book it through the hotel or a tourist office, when I arrive. I've also thought of going to Iguazu Falls, but don't have a visa for Brazil so unsure whether it's worth it to just see the Argentinian side.

Any tips or feedback would be most welcome! I just hope I haven't gone slightly off track of this thread, but I'm trying to find out all I can before I go!

Wow! Lari and Birder1 - what exciting work lives you have lead. Me-I'm a school teacher ever since I graduated, except for time off to have and raise the kids when they were pre school age. In fact I've been at the same school for 24 years and lived my whole life in the same city. Maybe that's why I love travelling and seeing new places so much. Besides, one of the perks of my job is that I do get good leave and I don't waste it!

Edited by karoo

I have booked 4 hotels in Buenos Aires (free cancellation) and am still trying to work out the best location. One is in Recoleta, but I normally like to stay in the heart of everything eg I stay on La Rambla in Barcelona, Times Square New York, Ocean Drive in Miami etc. I am leaning towards the Howard Johnson on Florida at this stage. I've read there are safety issues staying in the microcentre , but I have a Pacsafe Bag , I usually go and see all the tourist sights during the day and don't go out after dark. I save my night time partying for the ship.:)

I also have 8 days post cruise I have to organise. I still have to find out a lot about Chile. I'm doing the tour organised through the roll call from Valporaiso to Chile via Vin Del Mar and a winery with a tour of Valporaiso and Chile.It will drop me off at a hotel. Not as cheap as the bus, but half the price of the NCL tour. I think that's a good deal, plus we have a group of 13. I always enjoy a small tour more than the big bus.

I would like to go to Mendoza by bus, then fly back to Buenos Aires from Mendoza. I've also looked at booking the bus and flight before I go, but it seems to be in Spanish so I'm hoping I can book it through the hotel or a tourist office, when I arrive. I've also thought of going to Iguazu Falls, but don't have a visa for Brazil so unsure whether it's worth it to just see the Argentinian side.

Any tips or feedback would be most welcome! I just hope I haven't gone slightly off track of this thread, but I'm trying to find out all I can before I go!

Wow! Lari and Birder1 - what exciting work lives you have lead. Me-I'm a school teacher ever since I graduated, except for time off to have and raise the kids when they were pre school age. In fact I've been at the same school for 24 years and lived my whole life in the same city. Maybe that's why I love travelling and seeing new places so much. Besides, one of the perks of my job is that I do get good leave and I don't waste it!

Before I start with information to help answer your queries, let me tell you that I applaud you for what you have done. Teachers are what have shaped all of us. I can still name my teachers going back to first grade when I arrived alone with my brother from Cuba without speaking a word of English. Teachers like YOU are what gave me the self-confidence to eventually be able to represent our great country abroad. I was the U.S. representative (ambassador) to San Marino and worked abroad for 26 years. When I returned I became Associate Provost at our large public university but now just love to cruise, garden, and learn languages. So, thank you for dedicating your life to teaching.

Now, I would not suggest staying near Av. Florida in BA. It is just TOO much in the rougher parts of the center. Florida USED to be the nice shopping street in BA but it has seen better days. I would go there for a walk during the daytime. You will be accosted by dollar traders (which you should avoid). As you may know there are TWO dollar exchange rates in BA; the official rate which is about 8:1 and the BLUE rate 15:1. Of course, the blue rate is best. Not that I would suggest this, BUT...."one" may be able to find trustworthy persons who need USD and will trade at the better market rate. If you use credit cards, you get the BAD 8:1 rate. This explains why Argentina tours all want dollars, and dissuade anyone from paying in Argentine pesos. If one pays in Argentine pesos, the law requires they charge at the official 8:1 rate, meaning that "one" could save nearly 50% of the cost.

I have information on a 4-star suite hotel in the center (walking distance to Florida) but in a safer area with theaters and restaurants. This would be more akin to Times Square of Ocean Drive, both of which I know well. See my other thread that talks about the hotel Icaro Suites. I also wrote two lengthy Trip Advisor reviews (one in Spanish and one in English), as I have stayed at Icaro Suites twice this year for two weeks each time. If you book on getaroom, you can get a great deal; I did.

I did go to Iguazu and it is amazing. Loved it. I was able to see the Brazil side even though I did not have a Brazilian visa. As I understand from the taxi driver I contracted at the Argentine airport on my way to the Sheraton on the Argentine side, Brazil will allow taxis to go back and forth to both sides of the falls without checking visas. I was a bit worried, but he was right; we were never stopped and I got to see both sides. The view from the Brazil side is best but the tours on the boats and the easy hikes are on the Argentine side. I got a good deal at the Sheraton for one night and it was enough. The flight to Iguazu leaves from Perry airport in BA which is very near downtown. You will not spend much. Taxis in BA are not expensive and have meters. No one tips cab drivers in BA.

If you need information on a hotel in Santiago, let me know. If you decide to take the bus from Valparaiso to Santiago instead of the tour, let me know and I will send or post information. The price difference is huge. Vina del Mar is so so; I was not impressed. Mendoza is another story, however. Taking the public bus from Valparaiso to Santiago is safe, clean, comfortable, and cheap. Chile is very well developed and the main bus companies are excellent. I can give you information on the most trustworthy. I am taking a taxi to the bus terminal and the bus to Santiago and then the metro (very nice, safe and cheap), from the Santiago Bus Terminal to the hotel. A four star hotel in Santiago will be very nice. I have information if you'd like. I can also send information on less expensive tour when you are in Santiago; plenty of low-cost options.

I have no information on the bus to Mendoza from Santiago but that sounds like a great idea. Did you check on Orbitz or those sites for the Mendoza-BA flight? That is a great idea of something to do in connection with your cruise and port.

If you would like BA suggestions, let me know. I love that city and have already spent nearly a month there this year alone. Even if you do not like to go out at night, I would strongly recommend any of the three Tango Shows at Borges Cultural Center (which is off Florida inside a very nice, elegant, and safe mall). The shows are all great (I have seen all three) and I can tell you where to get 50% off ticket. The shows are about 90 minutes long and will cost some US$15 ONLY. Each is so nice that I ended up buying the DVD of the show to bring back to my 92 year old mom who loves Tango music.

Before I start with information to help answer your queries, let me tell you that I applaud you for what you have done. Teachers are what have shaped all of us. I can still name my teachers going back to first grade when I arrived alone with my brother from Cuba without speaking a word of English. Teachers like YOU are what gave me the self-confidence to eventually be able to represent our great country abroad. I was the U.S. representative (ambassador) to San Marino and worked abroad for 26 years. When I returned I became Associate Provost at our large public university but now just love to cruise, garden, and learn languages. So, thank you for dedicating your life to teaching.

Now, I would not suggest staying near Av. Florida in BA. It is just TOO much in the rougher parts of the center. Florida USED to be the nice shopping street in BA but it has seen better days. I would go there for a walk during the daytime. You will be accosted by dollar traders (which you should avoid). As you may know there are TWO dollar exchange rates in BA; the official rate which is about 8:1 and the BLUE rate 15:1. Of course, the blue rate is best. Not that I would suggest this, BUT...."one" may be able to find trustworthy persons who need USD and will trade at the better market rate. If you use credit cards, you get the BAD 8:1 rate. This explains why Argentina tours all want dollars, and dissuade anyone from paying in Argentine pesos. If one pays in Argentine pesos, the law requires they charge at the official 8:1 rate, meaning that "one" could save nearly 50% of the cost.

I have information on a 4-star suite hotel in the center (walking distance to Florida) but in a safer area with theaters and restaurants. This would be more akin to Times Square of Ocean Drive, both of which I know well. See my other thread that talks about the hotel Icaro Suites. I also wrote two lengthy Trip Advisor reviews (one in Spanish and one in English), as I have stayed at Icaro Suites twice this year for two weeks each time. If you book on getaroom, you can get a great deal; I did.

I did go to Iguazu and it is amazing. Loved it. I was able to see the Brazil side even though I did not have a Brazilian visa. As I understand from the taxi driver I contracted at the Argentine airport on my way to the Sheraton on the Argentine side, Brazil will allow taxis to go back and forth to both sides of the falls without checking visas. I was a bit worried, but he was right; we were never stopped and I got to see both sides. The view from the Brazil side is best but the tours on the boats and the easy hikes are on the Argentine side. I got a good deal at the Sheraton for one night and it was enough. The flight to Iguazu leaves from Perry airport in BA which is very near downtown. You will not spend much. Taxis in BA are not expensive and have meters. No one tips cab drivers in BA.

If you need information on a hotel in Santiago, let me know. If you decide to take the bus from Valparaiso to Santiago instead of the tour, let me know and I will send or post information. The price difference is huge. Vina del Mar is so so; I was not impressed. Mendoza is another story, however. Taking the public bus from Valparaiso to Santiago is safe, clean, comfortable, and cheap. Chile is very well developed and the main bus companies are excellent. I can give you information on the most trustworthy. I am taking a taxi to the bus terminal and the bus to Santiago and then the metro (very nice, safe and cheap), from the Santiago Bus Terminal to the hotel. A four star hotel in Santiago will be very nice. I have information if you'd like. I can also send information on less expensive tour when you are in Santiago; plenty of low-cost options.

I have no information on the bus to Mendoza from Santiago but that sounds like a great idea. Did you check on Orbitz or those sites for the Mendoza-BA flight? That is a great idea of something to do in connection with your cruise and port.

If you would like BA suggestions, let me know. I love that city and have already spent nearly a month there this year alone. Even if you do not like to go out at night, I would strongly recommend any of the three Tango Shows at Borges Cultural Center (which is off Florida inside a very nice, elegant, and safe mall). The shows are all great (I have seen all three) and I can tell you where to get 50% off ticket. The shows are about 90 minutes long and will cost some US$15 ONLY. Each is so nice that I ended up buying the DVD of the show to bring back to my 92 year old mom who loves Tango music.

Wow! Thanks for all this wonderful information! I was looking at the Sheraton too for Iguazu, but the more I delay the higher the price is going. I just usually use Sky Scanner for flights just to see what airlines have the most direct flights etc. then I go direct to the site. Flights seem to be the one thing I like to book direct with the company. I'm leaning to LAN airlines as that airline seems to have better reviews. I do want to see a tango show. A lot of tours I just book when I get there. I plan on doing the Hop On Hop Off too both in BA and Montevideo. They're also getting more expensive so I guess I'll have to decide soon.

I also plan on taking US. Money. I have gradually been buying the new hundred dollar bills from a local money exchange. I have to also get GBR pounds for Falklands. Hard to know how many to take as I usually just use ATMs.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions the more I start to look at my 8 days post tour.

[

If you need information on a hotel in Santiago, let me know. A four star hotel in Santiago will be very nice. I have information if you'd like. I can also send information on less expensive tour when you are in Santiago; plenty of low-cost options.

I've booked the hotel you recommended. Read the reviews on Tripadvisor. I think it was the fresh fruit nearby and the Starbucks that won me over. I'm definitely a fruit, yoghurt and good coffee when it comes to breakfast. With Starbucks, I know what I'm getting. So now I have 5 booked. Time to cull!

I would also be interested in what you would recommend for Santiago. So far I have booked, Hotel Sommelier Express, Hotel Santa Lucia and Hotel Altiplanico Belles Artes.

We took the bus from Santiago to Pucon some years ago. Spend 10 days there, rented a car, and it was delightful. The busses are very nice.

I also recommend checking out your roll call. It is very active with a Meet & Greet scheduled and a spreadsheet with independent excursions. Here is a link to it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048599&page=19

Thank you, I will be at my first meet & greet for sure. I look forward to meeting everyone. Whomever created this site, thank you.

Hi, this is my first time to use this site, I'm on Ncl sun right now. I'm looking for to book by myself instead of with sun. Please let me know if we can join in with you to split the cost? Me and my husband. By the way, my name is Michelle.

Hi, this is my first time to use this site, I'm on Ncl sun right now. I'm looking for to book by myself instead of with sun. Please let me know if we can join in with you to split the cost? Me and my husband. By the way, my name is Michelle.

Hi Michelle, It Would be most helpful if you write about your experiences as you go along. In terms of this cruise, about which ports are you seeking information? I will be pleased to share my information with you. My email is on the superb excel sheet. Am sure others on this roll call will share their information with you and your husband as well.