Transatlantic Airfare

sandav

We have recently booked our second Transatlantic on Eclipse for April 2016. This time and for the 2015 cruise we booked both cruise and airfare through Celebrity UK and we received a very good price and choice of flights. My question is if we book another Transatlantic before flights become available eg April 2017 flight prices will not be available before May 2016, will we be able to add flights at a later date or will this constitute another booking. Being from the UK we are not able to cancel and rebook without loss of deposit or admin charges. We have been lucky so far and got the cabins we wish but it would be nice to book when prices suit us and then add airfare later.

We have recently booked our second Transatlantic on Eclipse for April 2016. This time and for the 2015 cruise we booked both cruise and airfare through Celebrity UK and we received a very good price and choice of flights. My question is if we book another Transatlantic before flights become available eg April 2017 flight prices will not be available before May 2016, will we be able to add flights at a later date or will this constitute another booking. Being from the UK we are not able to cancel and rebook without loss of deposit or admin charges. We have been lucky so far and got the cabins we wish but it would be nice to book when prices suit us and then add airfare later.

I booked a Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse in March 2015 departing January 2017. I booked direct with X. No air fares were available and won't be until Feb 16. I will then speak to my contact at X discuss flights. She has already told me that X has 2 systems, one being the package pricing, the other is just based on best available fares. Either way, it's not another booking. Interestingly enough, I have been watching the BA fares to Miami via LHR every now and again, based on a departure in Jan 16 and a couple of months ago the prices were about £200 less than they were earlier in the year.

I may just book my own flights. Whatever I do it wont affect my cruise booking

Edited by LF2C

I booked a Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse in March 2015 departing January 2017. I booked direct with X. No air fares were available and won't be until Feb 16. I will then speak to my contact at X discuss flights. She has already told me that X has 2 systems, one being the package pricing, the other is just based on best available fares. Either way, it's not another booking. Interestingly enough, I have been watching the BA fares to Miami via LHR every now and again, based on a departure in Jan 16 and a couple of months ago the prices were about £200 less than they were earlier in the year.

My concern is that I will need a one way airfare. For our next year's TA we paid £370 each from Celebrity for our flight from Edinburgh to Miami with United. We could have got an even better price if we had went with BA but the United flight suited us better. I know that one way flights normally cost the earth. If it was a return booking like yourself, I wouldn't be so concerned as you said you may just book your own flights.

We have done two TAs, one on Celebrity (Westbound), which we purchased the airfare after we booked the cruise. Celebrity had a good price on that one.

Our second TA was with NCL and we used frequent flyer miles. Most airlines now allow one way trips on miles for modest numbers.

We just booked our third TA from Southampton for 2017 and will either use miles or book one way with Celebrity choice air.

We have done two TAs, one on Celebrity (Westbound), which we purchased the airfare after we booked the cruise. Celebrity had a good price on that one.

Our second TA was with NCL and we used frequent flyer miles. Most airlines now allow one way trips on miles for modest numbers.

We just booked our third TA from Southampton for 2017 and will either use miles or book one way with Celebrity choice air.

Not sure if we have the option of Choice Air in the UK , will need to find out.

Sandra

Just looked at Choice Air. Flight is £460 each. Package Price with X is £372. I wonder if the lower price is only available when booked at the same time as the cruise and if flight added later, the cost might be greater. Also not sure if the price quoted on Choice Air is available to UK bookers as the price was quoted in US and Canadian dollars. No UK option was available.

Sandra

Just looked at Choice Air. Flight is £460 each. Package Price with X is £372. I wonder if the lower price is only available when booked at the same time as the cruise and if flight added later, the cost might be greater. Also not sure if the price quoted on Choice Air is available to UK bookers as the price was quoted in US and Canadian dollars. No UK option was available.

Sandra

My understanding is that if you are booking through Celebrity UK or a UK agent, you are not able to use Choice Air.

http://www.norwegian.com have launched flights which are reasonable when booking one way legs, they also fly from Fort Lauderdale to Gatwick (not every day though), which may be of interest.

I am currently waiting for the release of November 2016 flights for our return from our TA too. I have a lot of loyalty air miles I would like to use for a one way flight back to the UK.

The cruise is already booked through a US travel agent, so it will be interesting to compare prices when flights are released to see if they or I get a better price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Alohaaloha

UK TRAVELLERS CAN BOOK WITH CHOICEAIR WITHOUT ANY ISSUE. I have done several times and have never found a cheaper one way fare anywhere. Just pay in US funds. No big deal.

Good to know we can book Choice Air but the Choice Air price today is still almost £100 more than the price quoted today for the cruise plus flight package on X website plus bank charges as well for US to Sterling. I did a mock booking and found the airfare is the same today as it was when we booked about 2 weeks ago. I dare say the Choice Air price will go up and down whereas the package rate might be more likely to stay the same.

Sandra

Airline pricing is ridiculously fluid. You can never tell. I do my homework, book stuff when the price feels right and NEVER look at the rate again, unless I can benefit from the adjustment.

I do like choosing the times of flights. I do believe you are at the mercy of the cruiseline if you book with them. My most recent booking from LHR to MIA allows me to arrive early afternoon instead of early evening allowing an extra 1/2 day of vacation.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Airline pricing is ridiculously fluid. You can never tell. I do my homework, book stuff when the price feels right and NEVER look at the rate again, unless I can benefit from the adjustment.

How do you find the lower rate for an adjustment if you don't look at the rate again? Is there a tracking service for this?

Ken

How do you find the lower rate for an adjustment if you don't look at the rate again? Is there a tracking service for this?

Ken

I wrote that very ambiguously. Sorry. What I meant was that I only look at fluctuating rates such as cruise lines that if the rate does go down I can call my TA and get the adjustment. For airlines, once I book it, I don't torture myself and think I could have saved a bit if I had only waited.

I do use Kayak, though.

When using choice air for one way transatlantic flights I research the flights and times I would prefer and then I call choice air for their prices. Always be sure to ask them which flights they offer are least expensive and determine if the tickets are refundable or non refundable. If I am not certain that we will be able to do a cruise nine or ten months ahead I will request the refundable slightly pricier tickets. Also, always ask about change fees or restrictions on the tickets. Doing your own research before calling choice air will help you to achieve a more satisfactory result.

UK TRAVELLERS CAN BOOK WITH CHOICEAIR WITHOUT ANY ISSUE. I have done several times and have never found a cheaper one way fare anywhere. Just pay in US funds. No big deal.

I think that is only if you use a US based travel agent. If you book in the UK with an agent here, then no Choice Air.

Absolutely not correct as already noted.

A couple of suggestions. The first is to take a look at Kayak and at least one other search engine. Second is to take a peek at Condor Airlines. This is owned by Thomas Cook travel and used to be owned by Lufthansa. We were able to book a June flight from Barcelona to Tucson Arizona arriving home the same day for about $650. Over $800 cheaper than Choice Air. Air Canada also has some great fares that only show up on its own website.

Last, remember you cannot book an international flight on most airlines more than 330 days out. You can book your cruise and add Choice Air at a later date.

Hi Sandra, you can make the booking and that add the flights with celebrity at a later date, that is what we did this year and will be doing for the TA next year.

Thanks. For the 2015 transatlantic and next year's we were able to book the flights from X at the same time as we booked the cruise. It's good to know that if we want to book a cruise before flights are available we can add the flights later. We got such a good flight price booking both at the same time.

I note we're on the same Eclipse cruise next April.

Edited by sandav