Rental Car Companies

AryMay

I just got off the POA and we rented a car in each port. I'll post my observations while it's fresh on my mind.

Is there one company that you prefer over the others? Why?

I have always used "Dollar" as I am an Express member. It seemed that in most ports on this sailing, people booked Enterprise and Alamo as their shuttles were always full and had waits.

Are there certain ports where one company has a better shuttle system?

They all take you to the nearest airport except Dollar/Thrifty has a kiosk/office at the King Kame hotel in Kona across the street from the tender pier.

Our only over-night port is Kauai. If we do a one day rental, is there a certain time cars must be returned or could we keep it later...like 10 pm?

We left Kauai at 2pm on the second day and chose not to keep the car overnight. The last shuttle from "Dollar" was at 8pm but you could return the car up to 11pm but would have to take a cab back to the ship.

If we do a 2-day rental in Kauai where do we park the car overnight? Cost?

There is street parking if you are lucky enough to find it and there is a $20 parking lot that fills up quickly. When we took the 8pm shuttle back to the ship, the lot was almost full and there was no street parking left.

FYI/tips

I originally booked through the "Dollar" site but made changes to some through the "Discount Hawaii" site. My advice is to book now and check back periodically as rental prices flucuate like the stock market.

the following were my prices:

Maui overnight $89 + $16 gas Altima

Hilo $35 + $11 gas Camaro Conv. (free upgrade)

Kona $55 + $6 gas Versa (from King Kame hotel, not airport)

Kauai $31 + $6 gas Chrysler 200

Honolulu $24 + $12 gas Altima

I used my Garmin GPS as I had programed some of the addresses in it. In hindsight, I would just do a "search" of the "attractions category" or use the "spell" function. Addresses on the websites are not always the attractions but the mailing addresses.

Buy the Tri-Park Hawaii National park pass for $25 at your first stop. This pass allows the driver and up to 3 passengers annual access to Haleakala National Park (Maui), Hawaii's Volcano National Park (Hilo), and Pu'uhonua O Honanau national Park (Kona). All 3 are spectacular and different experiences. Get there early and listen to the ranger talks at the visitor centers before heading out to explore. Haleakala at 10,000+ feet is spectacular (DWs favorite) and POH at sea level was my favorite. Next to POH is a public beach for snorkeling and I assume there will be lots of fish to see as we spotted the schools of them from shore through the crystal clear waters. Neither is as crowded as VNP but equally impressive.

Book a whale watching tour in Ma'alaea (Maui) with the non-profit "Pacific Whale Foundation" for only $39 as they said there will be up to 8000+ humpbacks in Hawaii in Feb/Mar. we did manage to see 6 there last week but the early season rate was only $25 online. Ma'alaea is only 20 minutes from the ship by the Maui ocea Center.

We hiked (2+ hours) the spectacular Mahaulepu Heritage Trail (along the cliffs of the Poipu Golf Course) and hung out at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai but I suggest seeing Waimea Canyon if it's your first visit. If you're up to it, maybe do the hike and the canyon.

Our cruise sails into Lahaina and we have an overnight there. We are planning on renting a car for both days and leaving it somewhere near the dock overnight. Is this what you did and if so, where did you leave your car parked? I know the incidence of break in's on rental cars is huge in the islands. Is there a parking lot or somewhere safe to park it overnight? The hassle to rent and rerent the next day seems like a huge time waster. Thanks for your input. Great post.

I know Hertz has an office in Waikiki, does anyone know of any others with offices there as to not have to make the trip to the airport to pick up and drop off cars. (Do the rental agencies have some type of a shuttle to the airport, or do you have to get there on your own from the Aloha Tower dock?)

Our cruise sails into Lahaina and we have an overnight there. We are planning on renting a car for both days and leaving it somewhere near the dock overnight. Is this what you did and if so, where did you leave your car parked? I know the incidence of break in's on rental cars is huge in the islands. Is there a parking lot or somewhere safe to park it overnight? The hassle to rent and rerent the next day seems like a huge time waster. Thanks for your input. Great post.

Hi Linda,

Lambchops was on POA, so she would have been in the port of Kahului on Maui. However, just wanted to mention that there is overnight parking in Lahaina about a 5 minute walk from the wharf. Here's a google map of the location. I haven't parked there overnight, so I'm not sure of the cost.

While car break-ins happen in Hawaii, I don't think the problem is nearly as big as you think it is. Just as in most places that you'd travel to, be sure not to leave anything of value visible in the car when you leave it.

I know Hertz has an office in Waikiki, does anyone know of any others with offices there as to not have to make the trip to the airport to pick up and drop off cars. (Do the rental agencies have some type of a shuttle to the airport, or do you have to get there on your own from the Aloha Tower dock?)

We are doing the return in Waikiki and we have Alamo through discount hawaii car rental. When you go through this car rental I believe they give you the best price when you book. My DH called them with a question and they were telling him what the best deal was.

Pls. check with DHCR. We rented only from them, highly recommended.

When I checked, the Alamo Waikiki office was the only one supplying free shuttles to and from pier.

We used it like this -- took Johnny Cab from airport to hotel. Rested a bit, and then phoned Alamo-Waikiki for the shuttle, which came and took us to their office.

Embarkation day - we spent the morning at PH, then drove to Alamo-Waikiki, returned the car, and their shuttle took us to pier at around 2PM.

The reason we didn't rent the car at the airport was that we landed at 1PM, and were not sure when, on the last day, we'll finish our visit at PH. Another hour being late at returning the car would have cost 20$ :mad:

Hi Linda,

Lambchops was on POA, so she would have been in the port of Kahului on Maui. However, just wanted to mention that there is overnight parking in Lahaina about a 5 minute walk from the wharf. Here's a google map of the location. I haven't parked there overnight, so I'm not sure of the cost.

While car break-ins happen in Hawaii, I don't think the problem is nearly as big as you think it is. Just as in most places that you'd travel to, be sure not to leave anything of value visible in the car when you leave it.

H2O 4 me is correct about the rental car break ins in the islands. Just google it and read a few of the articles. It is recommended you leave nothing in your rental cars at any time, visible or not. Those in this profession know very well that any rental car may likely have a trunk full of luggage, lap tops and purses, even if the car appears "empty". It takes only a few seconds to pop a trunk or door lock, or break a window. Even the parking lot at the Dole Plantation posts warning signs in their lot and you will see them in many other locations as well. You don't want to have to deal with police reports while on vacation.

H2O 4 me is correct about the rental car break ins in the islands.

I agree that there are break-ins, and yes it's a problem for some, but considering the number of tourists who visit Hawaii each year (millions), many who rent cars while there, I would guess that the percentage of people experiencing break-ins is very small. h20 4 me's description of it as a 'huge incidence' seemed exaggerated ... but I guess it depends on what 'huge incidence' means. If I hadn't visited Hawaii before, it would make me think that I probably couldn't rent a car there without expecting a break in.

Also agree that if you can take all of your valuables out of the car when you stop (even those in the trunk) it's a good idea. Many people (ourselves included) make stops between destinations with luggage in the trunk ... in that case, you want to make sure that you're not parked in an isolated spot, and regardless of where you park, don't open your trunk when you get there.

However, even leaving nothing in the car isn't a guarantee that you won't have the misfortune of a thief trying to break in and damaging the vehicle while doing so ... in which case a police report is probably necessary for insurance purposes.

So far no break ins for us in all of our trips and with leaving our rental in various parking areas on Kauai, Oahu, Maui, the Big Island and Molokai. But I won't get too confident because our good luck could change.:)

Edited by Susan-M

Yes Linda. There are a few pay lots within a block or 2 from Front Street where you will tender in. We paid $12 at a Republic lot on Dickenson Street (The sign is huge you can't miss it). Pre-paid with a machine that takes credit cards and you leave the receipt on the dash. It was a well-lit lot and of course we left nothing in it so no worries. Some people found cheaper parking but for us, I wanted a place I could easily find at 3:30am (we drove up to see the sunrise on Haleakala).

I looked up your cruise and since you are going to be docking there for the day, the easiest is to rent a car from the Waikiki area. Most of the rental car companies do not shuttle back and forth from the pier to the airport anymore but to their Waikiki location instead. Thrifty, Dollar and Enterprise have shuttles. I would do a price compare and then contact that agency directly to confirm the shuttle. It is noted on many threads that discount hawaii car rental is the way to go. I personally just used their discount codes and booked directly from the car rental site.

It is noted on many threads that discount hawaii car rental is the way to go. I personally just used their discount codes and booked directly from the car rental site.

If you book via DHCR's website on the Cruise Passenger page here, when you select the brand, you are linked to the rental company's site - Avis, Budget, Enterprise, etc., and the discount code is included.

If you book via DHCR's website on the Cruise Passenger page here, when you select the brand, you are linked to the rental company's site - Avis, Budget, Enterprise, etc., and the discount code is included.

I am aware of that. You can capture the codes that way. However, I'm just personally not one who likes to use 3rd party web redirects. Also, they aren't always the best deals and I have been able to use their codes plus coupons at times (i.e. weekend rental) for a better discount. I've also found codes from other sources that are better than theirs. i.e. Alamo in Maui I found better than using their discount codes.

Also, they aren't always the best deals ...

Agree ... it's good to check various sources. Costco (if you're a member) often has good deals. I've also found good deals through CAA (AAA). Autoslash is another one that is getting good publicity.

One thing that is helpful on the DHCR site is that they show which companies provide shuttle service and which ones you have to use a taxi for ... not sure if that info is easily found on the rental agency's website.

I am aware of that. You can capture the codes that way.

The page that I linked in my post above is a bit of a challenge to find on DHCR's site ... I knew that you had found the codes, but thought that others might find the link helpful if they were interested in using DHCR or their codes.

Edited by Susan-M

I agree that there are break-ins, and yes it's a problem for some, but considering the number of tourists who visit Hawaii each year (millions), many who rent cars while there, I would guess that the percentage of people experiencing break-ins is very small. h20 4 me's description of it as a 'huge incidence' seemed exaggerated ... but I guess it depends on what 'huge incidence' means. If I hadn't visited Hawaii before, it would make me think that I probably couldn't rent a car there without expecting a break in.

Also agree that if you can take all of your valuables out of the car when you stop (even those in the trunk) it's a good idea. Many people (ourselves included) make stops between destinations with luggage in the trunk ... in that case, you want to make sure that you're not parked in an isolated spot, and regardless of where you park, don't open your trunk when you get there.

However, even leaving nothing in the car isn't a guarantee that you won't have the misfortune of a thief trying to break in and damaging the vehicle while doing so ... in which case a police report is probably necessary for insurance purposes.

So far no break ins for us in all of our trips and with leaving our rental in various parking areas on Kauai, Oahu, Maui, the Big Island and Molokai. But I won't get too confident because our good luck could change.:)

When I researched this last year by just googling "incidence of rental car breaks ins in Hawaii", it appeared that there was no requirement for rental companies to report break ins or thefts, so we really don't know how many they don't report. There was a proposed state bill a few years back which would have required a police report from the rental company and a warning to tourists in the rental contract, but I don't know if this ever passed. This fact alone, that a Hawaii State Rep felt the problem was big enough to suggest a law, tells me that it is a big problem.

So, if I were a tourist, and my empty car was broken into, I'd probably just notify the rental company and let them deal with damage repair. I doubt that they are insured for loss by a third party which would require a report. They are probably "self insured", but might they come after you for the damage? I don't know. Only a tourist who suffers a loss which they will try to get insurance compensation for will bother with a police report, as the insurance will require proof of loss.

I did find stats from the Honolulu HPD that in Honolulu alone during 2012 there were >10,000 reports filed of car break ins in Honolulu alone. Most were parked near popular tourists spots. About 1/2 were Ford Mustang convertibles and Dodge Chargers, which are the most popular rental in Hawaii. And these were exactly what we had been renting. This past March, we went with a model which was less conspicuous. All you can do is be aware and don't take chances with your valuables.

Agree ... it's good to check various sources. Costco (if you're a member) often has good deals.

So true. As far as car rental companies validating discount eligibility after reserving they don't. I don't have a Costco card yet I was able to obtain the discount code from their travel website and used it to book directly through the agency website. Through Costco you need to enter a membership number to reserve.

Edited by iluvcruzin

They are probably "self insured", but might they come after you for the damage? I don't know.

If you don't buy insurance from the rental company for damage to the vehicle (e.g. LDW), you would be required to pay for the damage (i.e. through insurance that you have on a CC, through your own auto policy at home if it covers damage to a rental, or out of your own pocket.)

If you don't buy insurance from the rental company for damage to the vehicle (e.g. LDW), you would be required to pay for the damage (i.e. through insurance that you have on a CC, through your own auto policy at home if it covers damage to a rental, or out of your own pocket.)

This is something I had never considered. Always think more of accidents when considering insurance. I guess the renter, or their insurance, would be responsible for any theft related damage, even though a break in is really out of your control. If so, then I would think you'd need a police report. So I guess the 10,000 or so reported to HPD, must account for those who rented under their personal auto policy or cc insurance. And it must be those who buy the rental insurance from the rental agency who go unreported, as there is no requirement for them to do so, at least as of a few years ago. Wonder what the numbers would be if those were thrown in.

Hi Linda,

Susan, thank you so much for the Google link to the parking area that you used. I've saved it and really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. I certainly didn't mean to start something by mentioning the break-ins and I apologize to anyone who was offended. I've checked around and most people have just said to not leave a thing in the car and also just to leave it unlocked. Makes sense to me. Thank you again.

Yes Linda. There are a few pay lots within a block or 2 from Front Street where you will tender in. We paid $12 at a Republic lot on Dickenson Street (The sign is huge you can't miss it). Pre-paid with a machine that takes credit cards and you leave the receipt on the dash. It was a well-lit lot and of course we left nothing in it so no worries. Some people found cheaper parking but for us, I wanted a place I could easily find at 3:30am (we drove up to see the sunrise on Haleakala).

Hi Maureen, thank you for that info. Looks like parking won't be a worry. Now the question is......were you able to tender in at 330 in the morning? Did they run all night or did you just get a hotel in town?

Hi Linda,

You're welcome. :)

And no worries .. you didn't start anything. Sometimes our discussions get a little more involved than at other times...but we all agree on the importance of being cautious with rental cars and our personal belongings.

Re leaving the car unlocked - I've seen that advice on occasion, but in the fine print of the rental car terms and conditions for most (if not all of the major agencies) it mentions that leaving your car unlocked or with windows down is a violation of your rental car contract, which could leave you responsible for costs for theft of or damage to the car.

Hi Maureen, thank you for that info. Looks like parking won't be a worry. Now the question is......were you able to tender in at 330 in the morning? Did they run all night or did you just get a hotel in town?

The tenders run all night but not as frequent. We went down at 3:00am and there was a tender that unloaded a lot of staff who must have been night owls. We boarded with maybe 4 other couples and made it in time to pick up the car, stop and get coffee and make it to the top around 5:35 in order to see the sunrise. It was amazing.