Cruisers and rain hatred

Velvetwater

As long as I do not have wet feet in sneakers I am A-OK with the rain. We have a nice underwater camera, so no problems there. We have a supply of cheap disposable poncho's so we can wear them then toss them when it stops.

The one nice thing about rain is.....that is what makes the green green!

And what we say in Bellingham...if you don't like the weather...wait 15 minutes.

On our first cruise, we did stingray city in Grand Cayman. As we were heading back to port, it began to rain and all of the excursion participants except my husband and I tried to huddle under the covered area on the catamaran. Hubby and I sat in the rain and got drenched, but so what? We'd just got done snorkeling and were wet anyway.

We did go immediately back on the ship rather than shopping in port like we had planned. Didn't want to drip all over someone's shop.

We also had rain while cave tubing in Belize. The rain and river water both felt chilly to me, but I get cold very easily. Did not hurt my overall enjoyment of the trip.

I would be one of those huddled under the covered area on the catamaran and I know that both that and feeling chilly while being rained on while tubing would have affected my enjoyment of the trip. Good for you that it didn't.

I think we were the only people who didn't swim/rush to shore when we were swimming in St. Maartin when it started to rain. It started to rain and everyone was wet in the water. There was no lightening, just warm rain. WE were wet already so why run to shelter?

Once at home we had taken our 2 grandsons to an uninhabited island by boat. It was a hot summer day when the rain started. I said to the boys, "Hey, you don't have to run inside, we can stay outside and enjoy the rain." They were excited about that!

Perhaps they ran out of the water to cover their clothes or cameras or towel so they had something dry to dry them off with. ;)

Light rain in Hawaii didn't stop our sightseeing. It was warm and you dried quickly anyway.

Our first land trip to Australia, it wasn't raining, but there was so much humidity in Cairns that my camera stopped working. When we got home and I took it to repair, he said it got wet on the inside & rusted. It never did work properly again, so I learned not to take the camera out in humidity or rain.

Our first cruise to Alaska in May of 1999 was a miserable 6 out of 7 days of mist, drizzle & rain. The only nice day was sailing Glacier Bay.

However, 6 days of rain out of 6 days on our Caribbean cruise from Puerto Rico to St. Martin & St. Thomas did put a damper on sightseeing. I don't swim or do beaches, I mainly travel to see the sights & different locations. And we did do tours, but mostly just saw the sights from the van.

New England/Canada cruise, the wind and rain was so bad in Halifax and Quebec City, umbrellas were useless, and being drenched is not fun to me. But they are used to it, the carriage ride even had plastic attached to protect the riders from the rain. The poor driver however sat on his seat getting drenched. And the gangway to the ship had walls of plastic as it was quite a long ways to walk to the ship, so you at least were not dripping when you boarded the ship. But not a lot of photos of the lighthouses or beautiful fall colors or old town of Quebec City.

Our Med cruise in 2008 we had pouring rain in Rome, Venice & Paris, so much so that Venice was drowning in waist high water, we were soaked most of the time. We were in Rome 3 days pre-cruise, so at least we had 2 days of beautiful weather before the rains came. Our 3rd morning, we were supposed to go to Borghese Gardens, but cancelled and just stayed at the hotel until time to leave for the ship. We both came home sick with colds from being wet, damp and cold for the last 5 days of our trip. It was impossible to stay dry if you left the hotel.

And my last cruise in 2011 to the Pacific Northwest again brought rain in Vancouver, Nanaimo, Victoria, & Seattle with highs winds that closed ports. The seas were extremely rough with wind and rain most of the way down the coast. Not a pleasant experience.

A slight mist or light rain may not cause a disruption in sightseeing and enjoying a destination, but when you have numerous days of pouring rain, it certainly does. JMHO from personal experience, the rain Gods must like me a lot!

Aggabymama, you are very unlucky with the weather, let us know your future dates;)

You're all safe, there are no more cruises or long vacations on our horizon. Due to health issues we will be staying close to home, and I can just stay inside my house if the rain Gods would just give us some rain here in Sunny Southern California.

I think it's all about frame of mind.

My beloved wife and I honeymooned in Los Angeles in March of 2010, we spent 6 days in town, it was too cool to really get in the water (ocean) unless we were in the outside Jacuzzi or heated pool at our hotel. It rained our next to last day we were there, all day. We decided early that we would cruise the PCH down to San Diego cause it looked dry there on radar. We never made it as far as San Diego that day, we stopped several times along the way and took pictures, ate, shopped, explored ... in the rain. It was the best day of the trip and I have some of my favorite pictures of us from that day ... in our hoodies, snuggled in front of an ocean view. It was amazing.

So, if it rains on our cruise ... I don't give one single .... iota (that works right?).

None of us is made of sugar, get out and enjoy the rain. It doesn't bite.

On our Alaska cruise, just put on the Gore-Tex and boots. I have a weather sealed camera so no problem there 🙂 Good enough to take under Niagara Falls too, although when the lens gets really wet I have to switch over to manual focus... Rain is a fact of life, never ever let it get in the way.

i find it funny when people are in the water on a beach or in the pool on a ship and it rains and people are running out of the water to get cover, its like your already wet? whats the point?

I am from one of the lightning capitols of the world, Tampa, Florida, and I would never stay in the water if it is raining.