Internet on the Golden Princess

GOLDEN is half way through her first Melbourne - New Zealand round cruise as at 22/11/15 . Don't know about the Internet speed but the Captain has advised pax they will be returning to Wellington and then Melbourne, and that they will not be going to Dunedin or Fiordland owing to foul weather down the bottom of the South island . Apparently the punters all 2500 of them are not impressed as Princess have not offered any refund, rather a $ contribution as compensation towards another cruise . Bit tough for pax to blame Princess for bad weather .

It is always slow, and can be very slow, because it uses a satellite.

As on all the ships, time your internet usage for when you think it won't be busy. In busy times, the internet is even slower. If you have a laptop (or other device) you can log on from your cabin at a time when you might not want to be wandering down to the internet cafe. Download your emails and log off. You can compose your answers and send them next time you log on.

I have been on it twice and get free internet due to status. I was last on Golden Princess for 2 nights just recently on the 28th October.

Internet was fast and reliable and fast enough to upload high resolution photos to media. I was impressed with the speed.

My last few cruises with Princess the internet has always been fast for me.

Good to hear that the speeds are reasonable. Will be on board Golden on Wednesday and my brother is coming along. He got some unplanned last minute consulting work (gotta take it when you can!) that he needs web access for. He should be able to do his work before breakfast each day, so hopefully there wont be too many users online and speeds will be acceptable early in the morning.

Brisbane41 - Brisbane was a great ship. Was on board in '82-'83..

I have been on it twice and get free internet due to status. I was last on Golden Princess for 2 nights just recently on the 28th October.

Internet was fast and reliable and fast enough to upload high resolution photos to media. I was impressed with the speed.

My last few cruises with Princess the internet has always been fast for me.

I was on this cruise also but I found the Internet to be really slow and at times non existent. Maybe my cabin was in a black spot.

Stu

Good to hear that the speeds are reasonable. Will be on board Golden on Wednesday and my brother is coming along. He got some unplanned last minute consulting work (gotta take it when you can!) that he needs web access for. He should be able to do his work before breakfast each day, so hopefully there wont be too many users online and speeds will be acceptable early in the morning.

Brisbane41 - Brisbane was a great ship. Was on board in '82-'83..

It was a great ship. It could still do a good 36 knots in the year 2000. Good memories.

I was on this cruise also but I found the Internet to be really slow and at times non existent. Maybe my cabin was in a black spot.

Stu

I based that on that I uploaded about 30MB of photos some time after it sailed away from Sydney. The upload was done quickly with no dramas.

It did take me some time to work out how to log on to the internet because they have a new system now where you are automatically logged onto Golden Princess and view the cruise summary, and daily events online.

Hi everyone, love to hear from those who have cruised on the Golden Princess recently, especially around NZ. What has the internet cover and speed been like? Is it worth buying?

Hi,

On our cruise to Pacific Islands Oct.30 we were advised that the internet was closing down on the last day of the cruise to undergo an upgrade to their systems, they didn't elaborate on the exact details or how long it would be down for to upgrade, you would need to check with Princess.

Regards, :):)