adjusting tips

megann831

Not at all. I don't know or want to know the crews salary or benefit package or how much they make weekly, annually, etc..... I want to know if and how much of my tip which I am paying them goes into their pocket. When I tip in any other situation I feel confident the person I am tipping keeps the money. When you put your tips on an auto pay on a cruise line I have no idea if the money I believe I'm giving is going to the person I want it to go to.

When you understand that a tip/gratuity is the property of the person to whom it is given, and that they keep 100% of it, and that a service charge is the property of the company to whom it is given, to distribute at their discretion, this whole discussion will make a lot more sense.

As long as people keep confusing tips and service charges, there is going to be a lot of misunderstanding surrounding the topic.

Besides, it really has nothing to do with who gets paid what and from whom. There is an opportunity here to not have to pay, and there is simply a segment of the population who go out of their way to come up with endless reasons to justify their unwillingness to pay.

First of all if the workers were not getting what they were supposed to from the cruise line the unions / brokers that negotiate their contracts would be making a big stink about it.

This is what I don't get. If the crew is happy and based on the number that are long term employees, I'd have to agree, then they are getting exactly what they expect based on the contract they signed. In these days of social media, wouldn't you think that if the crew was getting stiffed, we would all know about it, except we hear it from someone who knows someone who told someone, which in my estimation is a crew member who is only a trolling for extra tips and is a totally an unprofessional employee for even speaking about their compensation package to someone other than their employer. Never in all my cruises has a crew member broached the subject of their compensation, tips, etc. and if they did, I would alert their supervisor to the fact that they are discussing private information with a passenger.

As much as I like to stay out of these discussions it seems impossible! The system has been set up for years and most cruisers know in advance of what it is. No matter how one tries to "spin" the facts, NCL is not taking anything away from the employees when you withhold DSC. The one that is taking it away is you! Period!! The proper way to fix the issue is to make a complaint/complaints to proper management. If your issue is with one employee, you should withhold any extra from them and let the rest of the hundreds/thousand employees on board receive their pay.

Many like to say if NCL were to do it the right way, they would just raise the fare to cover the charge. If they did that, how would you then punish the poor room steward? I'm guessing by complaining to management? Why not do the same now, unless you are just using this as an excuse to not pay?

The system is made for situations that you commented on.

The fact that NCL lumps in many employees into the DSC is an issue that NCL has to deal with. The consumer is left with making decisions on services with very few of the employees. In this case the room steward failed miserable in doing their job, as did the manager who assured them that this will not happen again. The manager failed to follow up to ensure that everything was fine.

You need to at a bear minimum read what was written before you post nonsense...and calling this situation a person who wants to be cheap:eek:.

This is what I don't get. If the crew is happy and based on the number that are long term employees, I'd have to agree, then they are getting exactly what they expect based on the contract they signed. In these days of social media, wouldn't you think that if the crew was getting stiffed, we would all know about it, except we hear it from someone who knows someone who told someone, which in my estimation is a crew member who is only a trolling for extra tips and is a totally an unprofessional employee for even speaking about their compensation package to someone other than their employer. Never in all my cruises has a crew member broached the subject of their compensation, tips, etc. and if they did, I would alert their supervisor to the fact that they are discussing private information with a passenger.

Your arrogance would show though and likely why employees would never have a honest conversation.

Edited by canadianeh934

Again....do you really think that the cabin steward who has 12 cabins with 5 people each gets paid five times as much one week to the next where he has one person in each cabin?

Of course not, she or he's getting paid their base amount of which part comes from the DSC pool and a small part comes from the cruiseline direct.

What can happen if too many people remove the DSC for service issues, is that steward's next contract won't be renewed, or they won't be up for promotions.

If to many people remove the DSC that could be the thing that makes NCL decide to just make it mandatory

"I'm going to take off the 30 cents your employer would give you in 4 weeks and instead I will just hand you $10 cash now"

We don't know exactly how much of it goes to the employees, it's possible Ncl doesn't take any of it and all of it go to the employees, plus as has been said before you can walk all the behind-the-scenes employees and individually check them also.

If to many people remove the DSC that could be the thing that makes NCL decide to just make it mandatory

Wouldn't NCL only care if they were getting a cut? Why care otherwise?

Like you said, it IS possible that they take nothing and the crew get it all (Not likely when NCL even say they take some, but for point of discussion, alright...).

Even though I understand the repercussions to many of the crew members if this is done, it would sure solve a lot of issues. But I think those that have to know how and what the crew is paid would still have an issue with it and go around trying to ferret out the information.

Even though I understand the repercussions to many of the crew members if this is done, it would sure solve a lot of issues. But I think those that have to know how and what the crew is paid would still have an issue with it and go around trying to ferret out the information.

The details are unimportant to you; so why do you make that known in every thread on the topic, multiple times? You are much more interested, it would appear, than you claim to be. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But just be honest about it.

If they make it mandatory it will just allow underperforming room stewards like I had to "get away with it". And even if eventually they are let go, NCL would have done nothing to address my problems as they occurred.

Be careful what you wish for, you might just end up getting very poor services because of it.

The details are unimportant to you; so why do you make that known in every thread on the topic, multiple times? You are much more interested, it would appear, than you claim to be. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But just be honest about it.

If they make it mandatory it will just allow underperforming room stewards like I had to "get away with it". And even if eventually they are let go, NCL would have done nothing to address my problems as they occurred.

Be careful what you wish for, you might just end up getting very poor services because of it.

They need to make it mandatory, at least that would stop these kinds of threads. I've told my Norwegian cruise consultant many times I wish they would make it mandatory and she even told me that when you take away the DSC you are hurting the employees on the ship.

They need to make it mandatory, at least that would stop these kinds of threads. I've told my Norwegian cruise consultant many times I wish they would make it mandatory and she even told me that when you take away the DSC you are hurting the employees on the ship.

I don't get why the company can't just be clear so everyone understands. Someone said they read these boards (they don't). If they did they could post and put the matter to rest.

I value all opinions; so let me know what you think; how would they handle it on the ship if someones just not doing their job. Should the guest be the one to put up with bad service all trip? Sometimes service just isn't up to spec. Would you pay the same for poor service as good service? Would you pay the same for good service as opposed to excellent, out of this world service? Curious to know what you think the solution here is.

I guess the only reason someone who doesn't pay the DSC now (and gives tips, wink wink), would not want the DSC to become mandatory is because then they would have to pay it. Pretty telling if you ask me!!!

I guess the only reason someone who doesn't pay the DSC now (and gives tips, wink wink), would not want the DSC to become mandatory is because then they would have to pay it. Pretty telling if you ask me!!!

and you've danced around another question, something you are the master of. You couldn't give a straight answer if I asked you what day of the week it was:rolleyes:

Yes, yes it is - Because they can make the claim that they did without giving the name of the employees they said they give tips to and in actuality, they didn't tip at all. At least with the new DSC refund policy, they're on the hook for at least 2 weeks after trip - Whether or not NCL is going to verify the removers actually tipped in cash, who knows?

I don't get why the company can't just be clear so everyone understands. Someone said they read these boards (they don't). If they did they could post and put the matter to rest.

I value all opinions; so let me know what you think; how would they handle it on the ship if someones just not doing their job. Should the guest be the one to put up with bad service all trip? Sometimes service just isn't up to spec. Would you pay the same for poor service as good service? Would you pay the same for good service as opposed to excellent, out of this world service? Curious to know what you think the solution here is.

No because no business has to sit there and break it down for you. They have to provide you a service on board and they do that. Seems like people feel so entitled to know everything about a business, how it's run and where the money goes to. As long as they meet your onboard needs they have done what they're supposed to do as far as an obligation to you.

Exactly, love it when you post Arizona you usually bring common sense to the argument. Tbh I would feel embarrassed if I walked down to the front desk to ask for that form. On my last Cruise I talked to an employee on the ship and I asked straight up do you see a large enough benefit from the DSC towards the on-board employees and he said definitely yes. I asked him if he looks at the customer's you ask for the form differently and he said he still provides the maximum service but yes he does look at them differently.

I was wondering what you and the others who say they NCL should pay its own people and that we should not have to do when you eat in a land based restaurant servers are paid $2.13 per hour and then live off the tips.

How do you feel about tipping in restaurants ?

This drives me crazy, my daughter, who is away at college, works at Chilis as a server. I can't tell you how many people leave her no tips. Certain cultures where she works don't leave any tips. It makes it very hard for her to survive without DH and I helping her out. Most of these servers make 3.50/hour. How can a college student survive on that? I am happy to pay the DSC, and I always tip extra. Seeing how hard my daughter works and how many people treat her makes me appreciate those in the service industry even more. With that being said, if I get lousy service, I leave a very small tip...but that rarely happens. For the record though, I did like the old system better, but I understand why it had to change, too many cheap people skipping out on the tips all together. People if you can't afford a tip, you shouldn't be cruising, just my opinions :rolleyes:

Edited by 49erfan007

No because no business has to sit there and break it down for you. They have to provide you a service on board and they do that. Seems like people feel so entitled to know everything about a business, how it's run and where the money goes to. As long as they meet your onboard needs they have done what they're supposed to do as far as an obligation to you.

What I am asking you is what would a guest do if they have a problem that isn't being resolved? Shouldn't the guest have some recourse if they DON'T get the onboard services they are supposed to get? I'm asking what your opinion or solution would be.

What I am asking you is what would a guest do if they have a problem that isn't being resolved? Shouldn't the guest have some recourse if they DON'T get the onboard services they are supposed to get? I'm asking what your opinion or solution would be.

In that case you should complain, if it doesn't get corrected than I might adjust the tip, but the problem is the wrong person might get the punishment. I guess I would ask at the customer service desk, but you do bring up a valid point

But we don't know the salary structure, ( not our business)that's the whole controversy. I just want to know if the entire DSC goes to staff and which staff, and in what amounts. When we handed out envelopes we knew what was expected and to whom. Now it's a mystery.

I bought a house. I didn't know the salary structure of the carpenter, OR the bricklayers. That was arranged between the builder & themselves. Yes, I did ask for some upgraded finishings, so there were direct relations between my final price (base price + upgrades related to carpentry), but I do not know whether the carpenter got that full upgrade amount, or whether the builder marked it up for the additional work THEY had to do, project-managing and invoicing and quality controlling the upgrades.

It's a mystery to me. The house turned out awesome, and cost me exactly what I thought it would. I notice that the builder didn't immediately go bankrupt, so I imagine their carpenters were happy with the arrangement too. That's all I need to know.

We were on the Breakaway to Bermuda and rarely saw our room attendant. On boarding day there was a 1/4 roll of toilet tissue and no washcloths. Not a big deal. We left a note, but this was not rectified during turn down. Twice we left notes for ice and never received them. I did call housekeeping multiple times for each of these items. A department manager called me back letting us know that there would be no further issues. GREAT! We were very satisfied.

On day 6 our towels sat on the floor of the bathroom unreplaced.

I don't know what the issue was with the steward but it never got resolved and I got fed up making calls and waiting for items that should have been in our room.

We modified our DSC after the trip; downwards by $40. NCL refunded us 18 days later. Had no issues with the form.

I get it, some behind the scenes guy loses out a little bit because of that. But that's the system NCL set up with its employees. I really don't appreciate being guilted into paying for services I don't receive after being asked to pay for them. If there is collateral damage, that is NCL's fault, not mine. Is it the fault of the guy who washes the towels? No. Should he be penalized? No. Is NCL penalizing him for the incompetence of the room steward? Yes.

There's a weird coincidence you've brought to the fore. I consistently advocate that the DSC should be left intact, but that no additional tipping is required. And in 24 trips I've not once had a complaint about room steward.

On the other hand you consistently argue against this, and when you sail you have issues with the crew.

What a weird coincidence.

Stephen

Exactly, love it when you post Arizona you usually bring common sense to the argument. Tbh I would feel embarrassed if I walked down to the front desk to ask for that form. On my last Cruise I talked to an employee on the ship and I asked straight up do you see a large enough benefit from the DSC towards the on-board employees and he said definitely yes. I asked him if he looks at the customer's you ask for the form differently and he said he still provides the maximum service but yes he does look at them differently.
I'm always amazed how naive some on here are. The crew are professionals and they have a job to do, just like any other person who holds down a job. If someone doesn't pay the DSC or if the DSC were to become mandatory, it doesn't mean that they are all of a sudden going to stop doing their job to the best of their abilities. They will be evaluated just like they are now, on positive feedback, negative feedback, their supervisors feedback on how well they do their job, etc. and if they don't live up to the standards, they will not be back for another contract.

I've been on Crystal when you paid tips by envelopes, when it was added to your onboard account and now that they are included and the service hasn't changed at all.

Edited by NLH Arizona

In that case you should complain, if it doesn't get corrected than I might adjust the tip, but the problem is the wrong person might get the punishment. I guess I would ask at the customer service desk, but you do bring up a valid point

That's exactly what I did.

But some people here feel I should have received bad service and been forced to pay the full amount. It is the same people who state this that have no reasonable response to the question of what should a guest do if the charge is mandatory and service is bad.

If it can't be resolved NOW and the charge isn't mandatory, you better believe it will occur more often if the charge is mandatory

There's a weird coincidence you've brought to the fore. I consistently advocate that the DSC should be left intact, but that no additional tipping is required. And in 24 trips I've not once had a complaint about room steward.

On the other hand you consistently argue against this, and when you sail you have issues with the crew.

What a weird coincidence.

Stephen

I don't think having toilet paper stocked or fresh towels is too much to ask for.

You have cruised 24 times; try cruising as much as I have and you will run into issues from time to time.

By and large I have great experiences with the crew, but on rare occasions I do not. I would not say that was "consistently". If it were I certainly would stop handing NCL thousands of dollars.

You are just making things up to be argumentative, but you are entitled to an opinion after all.