adjusting tips

megann831

It's a Service Charge.

It isn't a "Good" Service Charge.

You got service and you should've paid your bills.

Yes, after multiple calls to house keeping I got toilet paper and towels.

That's the sort of service NCL advertises on their website:rolleyes:

You'd be none too pleased with that level of service.

It is always a request....

Lets not play the semantics game.....

No...I stand corrected. THIS is funny.

One post you want to say "based on the word" and now it's "lets not play the semantics game". :rolleyes:

Paging Mr White....

First of all if it was me I would not have called housekeeping multiple times, one request is enough. after that if the direct supervisor also did nothing I would talk to the hotel director directly. If still not resolved after that, and I do not believe that it wouldn't, I would take care of it shoreside with either a letter to corporate or by documenting everything and disputing part of the payment for the cruise. But I do believe it would be resolved on the ship

I appreciate your honest candor, but sometimes you just need toilet paper and sending a letter after the cruise doesn't fix the issue...

Why should I pay thousands for a cruise and receive bad service?

I wish I would have thought to say that lol good point.

It sure isn't a BAD service charge either.

That's why they say if you have an unresolved issue, adjust the charge.

That's also why the form asks you to adjust the charge by the amount of inconvenience you had.

I had to call on 3 separate occasions for items our room steward didn't take care of. That's pretty bad on a 7 day cruise. I should have to call...never. Never. I should never have to call housekeeping because I don't have fresh towels or adequate TP

No...I stand corrected. THIS is funny.

One post you want to say "based on the word" and now it's "lets not play the semantics game". :rolleyes:

Paging Mr White....

Well if you want to continue.....why does the form exist, if not for a person to fill it out as part of the request for a refund?

You go to guess services and request a form.....

You fill out the form requesting a refund....

If is was a demand the need to fill out a request form would not exist!

Edited by canadianeh934

Exactly - and it takes supposedly 2 weeks to process the form but the actual refund (from what it sounds from those that tried to get the DSC amount) takes 3-4 weeks. Can't get any more discretionary (or is jerky, the more appropriate term) to those customers that want remove than that.[emoji57]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I sent in the form 10 days after the trip.

I had the refund 18 days after that.

So 2.5 weeks after submitting the form.

I was very satisfied with the timeline. No issues.

Now you have some knowledge and do not need to continue to suppose.

Well if you want to continue.....why does the form exist, if not for a person to fill it out as part of the request for a refund?

If is was a demand the need to fill out a request form would not exist!

EXACTLY! Which is why your statement saying they "have to" was so funny. If they "had to", there wouldn't be a need for the form...as you pointed out.

Now do you get it?

EXACTLY! Which is why your statement saying they "have to" was so funny. If they "had to", there wouldn't be a need for the form...as you pointed out.

Now do you get it?

I don't know if they had to, needed to, decided to; all I know is they did, and did it just as they said they would do so.

What are you two arguing over?!

I don't know if they had to, needed to, decided to; all I know is they did, and did it just as they said they would do so.

He/she dislikes that they have to refund some/all of the DSC if requested and is arguing semantics....just to argue. I am done responding...

The discussion is on the foolishness of stating that they "have to" give a refund while admitting that the use of the form indicates that a refund isn't guaranteed. Not to mention trying to play "according to the word" while accusing others of playing semantics.

c) Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary

and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge ,

which is automatically

added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is

intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees

according to Carrier's

evaluation of job performance. A portion of the

service charge collected by Carrier

is also used for fleet

-

wide crew welfare programs.

The OP did not complain about lousy service. She just didn't want to pay full tips for her child. This thread morped into something different.

I feel that small kids should be paying the DSC, because some one cleans up after them, someone cooks and serves their meals, and someone washes their sheets and towels.h

But barb that always happens anytime somebody brings up the DSC. I don't understand if you don't want to pay the DSC then do whatever you want, the people feel the need to announce it on here which starts another argument.

It is also discretionary.....I guess that is where the good service comes into play!

It is discretionary for now. My big prayer for Norwegian is that they make it a permanent fee. It's like a tradition on the cruise, on the last morning before you get off the ship you always see people in line trying to get the DSC taken off now the same people are still in line they're just waiting for the form.

I sent in the form 10 days after the trip.

I had the refund 18 days after that.

So 2.5 weeks after submitting the form.

I was very satisfied with the timeline. No issues.

Now you have some knowledge and do not need to continue to suppose.

It's ironic that you are named after a character on Gilligan's Island that was the wife of a millionaire and yet you squabble about a few bucks. If you are rich I've always said it's the richest people that are the stingiest when it comes to tipping. For example take me I do pretty well but I'm far from rich and I'm an excellent temper and I'm proud to pay the DSC. I don't get why people don't just prepay it's a lot easier that way lol.

It is discretionary for now. My big prayer for Norwegian is that they make it a permanent fee. It's like a tradition on the cruise, on the last morning before you get off the ship you always see people in line trying to get the DSC taken off now the same people are still in line they're just waiting for the form.

People are mostly in line to settle up their account.....

They will never make it mandatory, because it would then be subjected to commission from TA as well as their employee's would have to declare the tips as income.

I have always tipped above the suggested amount, but as it is a discretionary fee, it allows people to reduce or remove it.

I believe that you pay for good service and dispute poor service...it has nothing to do with being cheap in my opinion. It is all about accountability.

I have prepaid my current B2B cruise DSC.....I will also tip in cash my Room Steward as well as servers. Cash goes directly to the individuals who provide you services, not into some pool that is distributed arbitrarily by NCL.

It's ironic that you are named after a character on Gilligan's Island that was the wife of a millionaire and yet you squabble about a few bucks. If you are rich I've always said it's the richest people that are the stingiest when it comes to tipping. For example take me I do pretty well but I'm far from rich and I'm an excellent temper and I'm proud to pay the DSC. I don't get why people don't just prepay it's a lot easier that way lol.

Oh now thats funny...you sort of name yourself after a rock band so are we supposed to think you are a rock star?

Homemade videos uploaded to YouTube don't count you know

Edited by luvtheships

Motleyfan - we have had our differences in the past but I have to say I support your position about making the SC compulsory.

Go for it mate - most of Europe is behind you!

Motleyfan - we have had our differences in the past but I have to say I support your position about making the SC compulsory.

Go for it mate - most of Europe is behind you!

Thank you Steve and yes we have had our differences but you buyenlarge are fair. We can disagree like gentlemen but when we agree we're definitely right lol.

You can read minds? Of course not one of those pax on line could be there because of a mistake on their bill right? so it must be that they all want to remove the dsc

Do you ever think things through?

I think you are missing the point.

If I am ON a ship, and the DSC is mandatory and can not be adjusted, and the room steward isn't doing their job, what recourse do I have? How should the problems get resolved?

What is the GUEST recourse if they don't get resolved

I can go to another line in the future, but how does that resolve the service problems currently??? That's called a straw man argument since it does not answer the question.

I'm just asking, after I called house keeping multiple times, and spoke to a manager who assured me of no more issues, and there were still issues, how could I get that resolved?

What would you have done if the room steward wasn't servicing your room after you paid for the services?

Your recourse if the problem can't be resolved is to reduce the DSC. Some people just like to be cheap and feel it's their right to screw the crew and get the money back for no reason.

We were on the Breakaway to Bermuda and rarely saw our room attendant. On boarding day there was a 1/4 roll of toilet tissue and no washcloths. Not a big deal. We left a note, but this was not rectified during turn down. Twice we left notes for ice and never received them. I did call housekeeping multiple times for each of these items. A department manager called me back letting us know that there would be no further issues. GREAT! We were very satisfied.

On day 6 our towels sat on the floor of the bathroom unreplaced.

I don't know what the issue was with the steward but it never got resolved and I got fed up making calls and waiting for items that should have been in our room.

We modified our DSC after the trip; downwards by $40. NCL refunded us 18 days later. Had no issues with the form.

I get it, some behind the scenes guy loses out a little bit because of that. But that's the system NCL set up with its employees. I really don't appreciate being guilted into paying for services I don't receive after being asked to pay for them. If there is collateral damage, that is NCL's fault, not mine. Is it the fault of the guy who washes the towels? No. Should he be penalized? No. Is NCL penalizing him for the incompetence of the room steward? Yes.

The best thing for you to have done was to find the stewards cart and just take what you needed

If and when you were noticed you would just tell them why you were doing this

If they got angry at you then you write down their name and tell them you are contacting the hotel director because you aren't getting proper service. Period

And you also make sure every single valuable in your cabin including your tooth brush us secured in your safe. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, after multiple calls to house keeping I got toilet paper and towels.

That's the sort of service NCL advertises on their website:rolleyes:

You'd be none too pleased with that level of service.

I have never had bad service on the ship.

I have never actually met anyone who had bad service on the ship.

Ever.

I have met some particularly disagreeable people on the ship who have mentioned the excellent service that they got despite their generally disagreeable nature.

And you claim that you got negligent service on the ship.

This leaves some us wondering.

Wondering, wondering.....,wondering........

Hmmmmmmmm.......

What could be going on...........

Also, and I am going to ask this again, please forgive the repetitiveness -- but many of us are clearly concerned about ensuring that the behind the scenes workers getting a share of the DSC, and I am wondering how they were tipped prior to the implementation of the DSC.

Did people give the laundry crew envelopes?

Were they tipped out like waiters do for bartenders and busboys?

Was their wage higher to compensate for no tips?

Were they just out of luck?

This has been discussed on many of these threads. Much like the restaurant industry, there USED TO BE a process of tipping-out, that is....the front-line people received a gratuity and apportioned it to the rest of the team who made it possible for them to do their jobs well. The dishwasher, line cook, busboy.... would typically share some percentage.

When FreeStyle was introduced, one of the challenges was that servers may rotate, and the teams would be fluid - perhaps even during the same night. So by pooling & attributing ship-wide, or even (if they chose) fleet-wide, they deal with this problem effectively. No more tipping-out, just a DSC portion of the pool for each person involved.

What has this got to do with a voluntary tip?

We weren't talking about voluntary tips. We were talking about service charges, and specifically about your pressing need to know how people were being paid from the service charge.

My story shows how it's none of my affair how people get paid.

I have never had bad service on the ship.

I have never actually met anyone who had bad service on the ship.

Ever.

I have met some particularly disagreeable people on the ship who have mentioned the excellent service that they got despite their generally disagreeable nature.

And you claim that you got negligent service on the ship.

This leaves some us wondering.

Wondering, wondering.....,wondering........

Hmmmmmmmm.......

What could be going on...........

When someone stay claiming they get negligent service every time they cruise and then they reduced / remove the DSC just as well - Makes me wonder if the problem is just them being PITA and not the staff? Really, the room steward(s) didn't leave any spare toilet paper rolls in the bottom sink cabinets for days? I find that one hard to believe; guess she and her family had to go the public restroom to wipe their tush and/or take rolls from there.....:rolleyes: